Thread: If you’re on the fence about competing, watch this.

If you’re on the fence about competing, watch this.

This is an excellent video with Taran Butler working with an ex. Seal and getting him into competition. First part is good where he discusses the general differences with of IDPA, USPSA, & 3 gun. Obviously fun watching Taran Butler shread. Hope you enjoy it. Get out there and do a local match if you can.

https://youtu.be/caASxwqXxJE
    Last edited by Dismas316; 03-09-2019 at 10:48 AM.

The video is outdated and does not reflect changes to IDPA scoring that were implemented sometime ago (about a year ago , IIRC).

The first scoring area outside the center circle (which adds "0" time) actually adds 1 (one) second, not 1/2 (one half) second as stated.

And the the outside scoring area adds 3 (three) seconds, not 1 1/2 seconds as stated.

And a miss is 5 (five) seconds.

Also, Taran's comment about "cover" calls is no longer pertinent, as IDPA added fault lines as used in USPSA competition, and the referenced subjectivity has been removed from that aspect of scoring.

Quote Originally Posted by Dismas316 View Post
    This is an excellent video with Taran Butler working with an ex. Seal and getting him into competition. First part is good where he discusses the general differences with of IDPA, USPSA, & 3 gun. Obviously fun watching Taran Butler shread. Hope you enjoy it. Get out there and do a local match if you can.

https://youtu.be/caASxwqXxJE

Quote Originally Posted by 1911Nut View Post
    The video is outdated and does not reflect changes to IDPA scoring that were implemented sometime ago (about a year ago , IIRC).

The first scoring area outside the center circle (which adds "0" time) actually adds 1 (one) second, not 1/2 (one half) second as stated.

And the the outside scoring area adds 3 (three) seconds, not 1 1/2 seconds as stated.

And a miss is 5 (five) seconds.

Also, Taran's comment about "cover" calls is no longer pertinent, as IDPA added fault lines as used in USPSA competition, and the referenced subjectivity has been removed from that aspect of scoring.
    While your points are mostly correct, they aren't important to the point of the video which is to show how even supposedly "high level" shooters can benefit from competition as well as providing a basic primer to practical pistol sports.

And I wouldn't be so sure that subjectivity has left IDPA as of yet. Even with fault lines I've seen several arguments, at least on line, about what exactly constitutes faulting the line even though the wording in the IDPA rulebook is pretty damned clear.

I've never seen Taran before - just seen the stuff and the name. He's a little different. But I agree - he summed up competition pretty well I thought.

I like these statements -
    "you'll be like a UFC fighter at a local bar - you don't wanna get into a fight with them"
    "you gotta get out of your head, in competition - get out of your head and just shoot"

That was pretty good video.
    The stupidity of some people never ceases to amaze me.

Humbly improving with CZ's.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by miller_man View Post
    I've never seen Taran before - just seen the stuff and the name. He's a little different. But I agree - he summed up competition pretty well I thought.

I like these statements -
    "you'll be like a UFC fighter at a local bar - you don't wanna get into a fight with them"
    "you gotta get out of your head, in competition - get out of your head and just shoot"

That was pretty good video.

Then you might like to watch this quick video. His one handed shooting is crazy, he’s a modern day gunslinger. Now if he could just twirl in on his finger.

https://youtu.be/bO7viGczkXU
    Last edited by Dismas316; 03-09-2019 at 07:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dismas316 View Post
    Then you might like to watch this quick video. His one handed shooting is crazy, he’s a modern day gunslinger. Now if he could just twirl in on his finger.

https://youtu.be/bO7viGczkXU
    He is a beast

I for one was ecstatic about the fault line sticks. At 6'6" wearing a cover garmet it appears that there is an excess of body peaking out from behind cover because of the coat or shirt hanging down -even if it's just the eye and hand up top. Get some weeble-wobble running the stage and it's even worse. I learned that unless I wore something with no drape I would get cover calls. Now with the sticks, there are no more arbitrary calls.

I enjoy watching Taran shoot. His little minion Jade Struck even more!
    Last edited by FNFAN; 03-09-2019 at 08:29 PM.
    -All views expressed are those of the author and do not reflect those of the author's employer-

Geeze, that's crazy. That was amazing. He's a pretty solid shooter - no doubt!
    The stupidity of some people never ceases to amaze me.

Humbly improving with CZ's.

Quote Originally Posted by FNFAN View Post

I enjoy watching Taran shoot. His little minion Jade Struck even more!

Ummm, yeah. +1

https://www.instagram.com/jadestruck/

User Tag List