Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Criminals using flashlights

Tweakers always have several of these and some gas station knives on them. Sometimes with batteries in them, sometimes dope...
    Name:  1_s.jpg
Views: 536
Size:  39.6 KB

Quote Originally Posted by karmapolice View Post
    Tweakers always have several of these and some gas station knives on them. Sometimes with batteries in them, sometimes dope...
    Name:  1_s.jpg
Views: 536
Size:  39.6 KB
    When “flakka” (Alpha-PVP) was big here a few years ago, every single doper we came across had a bunch of flashlights on them, because the flakka made them super paranoid and afraid of the dark. It was a strange time.

That's an interesting exercise. I recently had an instructor run a similar one, with similar results. In a second evolution, he said "turn on your light". When we used our own lights, we could see the target perfectly, and were not "blind" anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by NH Shooter View Post
    v.1 or v.2?

In a Sig Academy Low Light Pistol Operator course I took last year, one of the exercises was to experience bright light directly into dark-adapted eyes. In a low light setting with the targets 21 feet away (we could just barely see the scoring rings on the target), a 300-lumen flashlight was shined in our eyes for a few seconds, and then we were to draw and engage the target with two shots. For most people, it took three to five seconds to be able to see the target again and fire the shots. Even though I could immediately pick up the tritium front sight, it took that much time to be able to discern the target again.

It was a very illuminating experience*. :-)

*Powered by the Blues Pun Machine
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

I'm not a bad guy but I have to get me another light. I have spent lots of time comparing flashlights and it's hard to weigh lumens vs size online. Unfortunately there isn't a lot to choose from local.

Quote Originally Posted by NH Shooter View Post
    That is IMO excellent documentation of how use of light can be used as a conflict management tool. Through my reading and research, it's clear that BGs really don't like attention and being noticed. Illuminating them truly "puts them in the spotlight" and causes them great discomfort.

"Carry enough light" I think is also a take-away.

Thanks for sharing!
    Thank you.
    Men freely believe that which they desire.
    Julius Caesar

I haven't seem criminals use flashlights and the ones around here, prefer darkness to their advantage.

The one time I've hit someone with a full blast of about 750 lumens, when they weren't expecting it, it reset their OODA loop like flipping a switch. A moment before they were being super aggressive, the next second, they were blinking stars from their eyes and trying to figure out where I went. By contrast, when blasting someone expecting it and/or with a less powerful light, they tend to quickly look down or away, limiting the efficacy of the light. Smart folks will close one eye to maintain some semblance of light adjustment.

Long and short - IME - LOTS of light delivered unexpectedly works pretty well. Moderate amounts of light or lots of light delivered expectedly is a mixed bag of results.

So, powerful light and concealed.

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    Long and short - IME - LOTS of light delivered unexpectedly works pretty well. Moderate amounts of light or lots of light delivered expectedly is a mixed bag of results.

So, powerful light and concealed.
    Agreed.

I just added another light to my "arsenal" and this thing is truly a weapon;

Malkoff Hound Dog Super head on a MD3 body, powered by a pair of 18500 protected Li-ion cells.

It uses the reliable Malkoff high-low bezel ring for two output levels;

• High: 1,700 lumens with 75,000 lux. It gets about 30 minutes of runtime on the pair of 18500 cells.
    • Low: 80 lumens with about 4,500 lux. More than enough light to navigate outdoors under any conditions, about 12 hours on runtime on the pair of 18500 cells.

This thing is a beast: a well-defined 7-degree hot spot with amazing spill. While not EDC size, it fits comfortably in a coat pocket or in a cargo pants leg pocket. With the optional Malkoff Tricap and equipped with a finger lanyard, it handles perfectly when used in conjunction with a pistol (wish I had this for the Low Light Pistol Operator course last year).

The heat in the beam this thing projects on high is telling: at close range 75,000 lux to the eyes is going to be devastating, whether they know it's coming or not. And of course, it's a Malkoff making it suitable as an impact tool.

It's a weapon.

User Tag List