Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Criminals using flashlights

Criminals using flashlights

I apologize if this is in the wrong place.
    I know many of us carry a flashlight on a daily basis. A flashlight is a tool that I use as much as a pocket knife in my day to day. I also carry my flashlight on my weak side in hopes it may temporarily blind an attacker to buy me time. I am wondering if anyone has heard of a criminal using a light to blind victim? If someone walked up and hit you in the face with a boo billion (that's a lot) lumens I would think it more effective than mace. May be another reason for concealed carry vs open. Really just trying to process this idea and picking the mind of those more knowledgeable and experienced.

I worry more about the ones that might walk up and zap you (and make you do the chicken)...but agree that getting a lot of lumens unexpectedly is going to put your off your game.

Interesting topic to pair with the "disguising the draw" discussion ongoing.

I just happened to pick up a Malkoff Bodyguard the other day and have been working on incorporating it into my daily carry and defensive plans. I see it as adding value to buy both time and distance...and to act as a small striking implement if absolutely necessary.

(Like I needed another light from Gene. LOL.)
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    I just happened to pick up a Malkoff Bodyguard the other day and have been working on incorporating it into my daily carry and defensive plans. I see it as adding value to buy both time and distance...and to act as a small striking implement if absolutely necessary.

(Like I needed another light from Gene. LOL.)
    v.1 or v.2?

In a Sig Academy Low Light Pistol Operator course I took last year, one of the exercises was to experience bright light directly into dark-adapted eyes. In a low light setting with the targets 21 feet away (we could just barely see the scoring rings on the target), a 300-lumen flashlight was shined in our eyes for a few seconds, and then we were to draw and engage the target with two shots. For most people, it took three to five seconds to be able to see the target again and fire the shots. Even though I could immediately pick up the tritium front sight, it took that much time to be able to discern the target again.

It was a very illuminating experience*. :-)

*Powered by the Blues Pun Machine

I got the v.1 as one thing I don't have from Malkoff is a small light, smaller than the MDC 1xAA. And this thing is small, even with the unobtrusive crenellated bezel, compared to the 1xAA.

Plus, I can always put the head on my Surefire E2e which currently employs a Malkoff "Scout" head and a 16650 to power it. So it gives me options.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by camsdaddy View Post
    I am wondering if anyone has heard of a criminal using a light to blind victim?
    Yes. At least two well known serial killers did. Quite rare, though.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

In my experience, most criminals carrying flashlights are toting the Harbor Freight LED variety, or headlamps, and use them in the course of theft to fuel meth/heroin addiction.

I can’t recall a single quality light found on a perp except for the SF x400 that was on a stolen HK. (I was happy to be able to return that to the owner)

Here's a blog post about using a flashlight as a situation management tool.

http://wheeler686.blogspot.com/2017/...you-brung.html
    Men freely believe that which they desire.
    Julius Caesar

Quote Originally Posted by Wheeler View Post
    Here's a blog post about using a flashlight as a situation management tool.

http://wheeler686.blogspot.com/2017/...you-brung.html
    That is IMO excellent documentation of how use of light can be used as a conflict management tool. Through my reading and research, it's clear that BGs really don't like attention and being noticed. Illuminating them truly "puts them in the spotlight" and causes them great discomfort.

"Carry enough light" I think is also a take-away.

Thanks for sharing!

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    Yes. At least two well known serial killers did. Quite rare, though.
    Zodiac and David Berkowicz?

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Casual Friday View Post
    Zodiac and David Berkowicz?
    I didn't think of the Zodiac killer. Golden State Killer was the second I was thinking of.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

User Tag List