Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 LastLast

Thread: 1911 Newbie

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JSGlock34 View Post
    For what it's worth, I had a pretty good experience with a NM serial numbered PX9109L. I eventually built it into a MEUSOC clone (it's a great base gun for that - I'm surprised Springfield Armory never tried to market a USMC connection with the PX9109L like they did with the MC Operator). You can get pretty deep into a MEUSOC clone as a project just by swapping small parts.

Attachment 36105

I had an issue with a poorly fitted rear sight, but Springfield Armory's excellent customer service took care of that quickly and at no expense. Their warranty service is truly great.
    That looks good.

How well do the Pachmayr grips go with the 1911?

I think the Pachmayr grips worked very well with the 1911, but I've always liked hard rubber grips - even the cheap ones that came standard on the Kimber and S&W pistols. Pachmayr grips have been USMC issue for decades. I found they provided a good gripping surface. Since the Pachmayrs also wrap around the frontstrap, they also give some purchase there, and cost much less than checkering. They add a little width, but the 1911 is so thin to start anyway it hardly makes a difference.
    Last edited by JSGlock34; 03-14-2019 at 09:53 PM.
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
    That looks good.

How well do the Pachmayr grips go with the 1911?
    Not JS, but I like the pachmayr grips a lot. They're probably my favorites for a 45 that I'd shoot a lot of, but the lack of plunger tube support vexes some. I'd probably put them on a Ruger or some other 1911 with a built in plunger tube or a really well done staking job.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by 45dotACP View Post
    Not JS, but I like the pachmayr grips a lot. They're probably my favorites for a 45 that I'd shoot a lot of, but the lack of plunger tube support vexes some. I'd probably put them on a Ruger or some other 1911 with a built in plunger tube or a really well done staking job.

Is the plunger tube getting screwed up a frequent 1911 issue?

Site Supporter
    If it's not correctly staked it can be. I haven't yet run into the problem, but some companies just have then built integrally into the frames to prevent the issue

Site Supporter
    I've never had a problem with one, but yeah if not properly staked it can come loose. Frequent issue? Not really.

Admittedly I have not read through all of the post here thus far so if I am repeating something already posted just chalk it up to my laziness...

From Colt I would take a look at the Combat Unit and Combat Elite series guns. Both are available with a good feature set that includes checkering.

From Springfield Armory the LB Operator (SKU: PX9105LL18) is what I believe to be the overall best deal in the 1911 market right now. However, the gun is a rail frame and does not come with checkering. Another Springfield offering is the TRP (SKU: PC9108L18), which comes with checkering but no rail.

I hear good things about some of the Dan Wesson offerings but don’t have the same level of experience with the DW guns as I do the others mentioned above.
    Heirloom Preicison
    www.heirloomprecision.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Burton View Post
    Admittedly I have not read through all of the post here thus far so if I am repeating something already posted just chalk it up to my laziness...

From Colt I would take a look at the Combat Unit and Combat Elite series guns. Both are available with a good feature set that includes checkering.

From Springfield Armory the LB Operator (SKU: PX9105LL18) is what I believe to be the overall best deal in the 1911 market right now. However, the gun is a rail frame and does not come with checkering. Another Springfield offering is the TRP (SKU: PC9108L18), which comes with checkering but no rail.

I hear good things about some of the Dan Wesson offerings but don’t have the same level of experience with the DW guns as I do the others mentioned above.
    QfT.

I once owned the LB Operstor-and chose it precisely because of Mr. Burton's praise of it. Nice, tight, accurate. Sold it only because I wanted to focus only on 9mm to keep costs down.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Burton View Post

Gotta ask: what do u think of the SA trophy match?

Quote Originally Posted by Robinson View Post
    There seem to be at least three sources of the negative view of Kimbers:
    1) Reports of horrible QC from noted gunsmiths mostly back in the period of 2001-2008 or so, including Larry Vickers
    2) Problems with poor quality MIM parts used in their guns causing failures
    3) The Swartz firing pin safety system, disliked by many

I'm sure it's possible to get a good Kimber that runs and runs. Forum member @jetfire tested one not too long ago with good results. I owned a Kimber 9mm Commander-size gun many years ago that was very decent. I have no experience with their recently produced guns.
    I tested two Kimbers actually - one was a Commander sized gun that had some problems with reliability, to the point that I wouldn't recommend carrying it. The other was a five inch 9mm gun that worked like a charm, much to my surprise.

User Tag List