Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: 1911 Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by RND View Post
    Don’t by a 1911 if you’re going to spend less than $1000, PERIOD.
    I found an excellent Series 80 Colt in .38 Super with Novak sights and a Bar-Sto barrel for 800 bucks. But I admit I lucked out :>)
    "Swing your leaders wide old man!"

Quote Originally Posted by loper77 View Post
    I don't know if the OP is still following this, but you might want to check out the Remington R1 Carry. Checkered steel frame, decent trigger, Novak sight cuts. You can find them pretty cheap these days. only problem I have with mine is the slide cuts, which are a little slippery.
    I am still following this with great interest. I will say I am leaning toward one of the loaded models from SA. I appreciate your giving your input about the R1 carry. I have looked into them a bit and like the look and features, but I am somewhat leery of Remington.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Site Supporter
    I was in the same boat about Remington, but the Carry model had everything I wanted and I got a good price on one. I think Remington's 1911 line isn't bad, but suffers because of the other junk they've put out lately. I also think any lower priced 1911 is going to be a bit of a crap shoot as far as quality. But I'm not an expert by any means.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by leathermaneod View Post
    I am still following this with great interest. I will say I am leaning toward one of the loaded models from SA. I appreciate your giving your input about the R1 carry. I have looked into them a bit and like the look and features, but I am somewhat leery of Remington.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    My wife bought a R1 Carry full size today. It seems solid, nice smooth action, pretty good set of features especially for the price. I'll strip it down and clean and lube it, then put a bunch of rounds through it. If it runs, it will be a nice pistol for her. If it has issues I will resolve them if not too extreme. It's going to be a while before I can get it to the range due to a trip, but once it happens I will report back here.

In the meantime, recently built Loaded models seem to be put together pretty nice. Probably worth taking a hard look at if you are so inclined.
    Last edited by Robinson; 03-13-2019 at 08:52 PM.

I know the budget is $1000. But if it was a couple hundred more, the options are much more plentiful, especially on the used market

I just got this dude off of Gunbroker for 6 bills.

One of my goals for this piece is 25 LPI, fitted magwell (maybe RB) and refinish the frame. I wish old SACS was up and running.

MIM stuffed inside nets one of the cleanest OTB trigger break I have ever press.

I cant get the barrel out of the slide apart right now....I already ordered the silly takedown piece and a replacement guide rod assembly that will be much easier to remove.

the gun was filthy with a layer of grit. It was from a pawnshop but once I cleaned up the frame..... it appears to be hardly shot with a minor OOOPS scratch on the frame and slide. Def needs the slide stop mod to prevent this.

Last edited by SW CQB 45; 03-13-2019 at 09:34 PM.
    If you're going to be a bear….be a GRIZZLY!

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
    This is another 1911 I think would be interesting.

The SA PX9109L. Which seems to be difficult to find in stock.

https://www.springfield-armory.com/p...5-acp/#PX9109L
    For what it's worth, I had a pretty good experience with a NM serial numbered PX9109L. I eventually built it into a MEUSOC clone (it's a great base gun for that - I'm surprised Springfield Armory never tried to market a USMC connection with the PX9109L like they did with the MC Operator). You can get pretty deep into a MEUSOC clone as a project just by swapping small parts.

Name:  19112.jpg
Views: 444
Size:  75.7 KB

I had an issue with a poorly fitted rear sight, but Springfield Armory's excellent customer service took care of that quickly and at no expense. Their warranty service is truly great.
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

Quote Originally Posted by JSGlock34 View Post
    For what it's worth, I had a pretty good experience with a NM serial numbered PX9109L. I eventually built it into a MEUSOC clone (it's a great base gun for that - I'm surprised Springfield Armory never tried to market a USMC connection with the PX9109L like they did with the MC Operator). You can get pretty deep into a MEUSOC clone as a project just by swapping small parts.

Name:  19112.jpg
Views: 444
Size:  75.7 KB

I had an issue with a poorly fitted rear sight, but Springfield Armory's excellent customer service took care of that quickly and at no expense. Their warranty service is truly great.
    The guy I bought mine from had it very clonish. I wish I liked long triggers and 3-dot sights.
    Name:  KIMG1052.jpg
Views: 336
Size:  102.8 KB
    Last edited by 03RN; 03-14-2019 at 06:35 AM.

Ok I have a question... But first, some backstory...

Long ago, I saw an STI with hex slide serrations. It was sexy, and I was smitten.

Until I saw the price...

So i never purchased it which led me to my Colt, STI Spartan and RIA. While browsing Gunbroker looking for a 92/226/SP01, I came across a Kimber KHX and my heart skipped a beat: hex serrations!! But the one thing that is holding me back is, its Kimber and ive heard/read alot about Kimber: not good. Now the question is, are Kimbers truly that bad? Is the stigma surrounding the brand true? OR should I just continue the pursuit of a 92/226/SP01 OR go Fusion/Caspian etc. and have someone machine me hex serrations?

Yeah, i know theyre just serrations but im shallow as fuck and i like the look.
    Last edited by coN; 03-14-2019 at 02:34 PM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by coN View Post
    Ok I have a question... But first, some backstory...

Long ago, I saw an STI with hex slide serrations. It was sexy, and I was smitten.

Until I saw the price...

So i never purchased it which led me to my Colt, STI Spartan and RIA. While browsing Gunbroker looking for a 92/226/SP01, I came across a Kimber KHX and my heart skipped a beat: hex serrations!! But the one thing that is holding me back is, its Kimber and ive heard/read alot about Kimber: not good. Now the question is, are Kimbers truly that bad? Is the stigma surrounding the brand true? OR should I just continue the pursuit of a 92/226/SP01 OR go Fusion/Caspian etc. and have someone machine me hex serrations?

Yeah, i know theyre just serrations but im shallow as fuck and i like the look.
    There seem to be at least three sources of the negative view of Kimbers:
    1) Reports of horrible QC from noted gunsmiths mostly back in the period of 2001-2008 or so, including Larry Vickers
    2) Problems with poor quality MIM parts used in their guns causing failures
    3) The Swartz firing pin safety system, disliked by many

I'm sure it's possible to get a good Kimber that runs and runs. Forum member @jetfire tested one not too long ago with good results. I owned a Kimber 9mm Commander-size gun many years ago that was very decent. I have no experience with their recently produced guns.

User Tag List