Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: 1911 Newbie

1911 Newbie

Hi all,

I’ve always wanted a 1911, but just never got around to purchasing one yet. Well I’ve really been getting the itch to have one lately so I thought I’d start looking around. I want something fairly basic, nothing flashy, no rail or anything tactical. One feature I’d really like though is front strap checkering. Can one buy a 1911 of the shelf with front strap checkering but not too flashy otherwise? Any recommendations on a good first 1911?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

While I am a big into Springers.... and feel lost without SACS...

Dan Wesson is a great value for what you get out of the box.

I have a Valkyrie Alloy frame Commander and out of the box has been fantastic.

I added a pricey WC RB alloy Magwell which fit perfectly.

here is my SACS Custom Carry. Flawless piece and nice shooter.

Last edited by SW CQB 45; 03-08-2019 at 10:13 PM.
    If you're going to be a bear….be a GRIZZLY!

For what you describe the Dan Wesson Heritage RZ-45 is ideal. I think you would enjoy and want to carry a Vigil Commander, though.
    Ignore Alien Orders

Big question is what is your budget? Rock Island seems to be pretty good for not a lot of money. The Rugers are liked for their price range. Springfield Armory seems to have something for everyone. Dan Wesson will probably get the most recommendations if you're looking for something in the $1200-1500ish range.
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Because buying cool, interesting guns I don't need isn't a decision... it's a lifestyle...

Site Supporter
    Yes, what is your price range?

And do you want a basic GI model or a more modern model with an upswept grip safety, etc... ?

If you want a basic GI model with front strap checkering, I think your options are Colt (special run) and Fusion Firearms. But I have a feeling you would prefer a pistol with more modern features.

Site Supporter
    I like the idea of this Colt. Just concerned about reliability.

https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/...+commander+9mm

Site Supporter
    Most colts are questionable these days. I can say my last delta elite swore me off of them, especially having to send it back to colt multiple times. If you are just getting into them the springfield loaded is a great starting point. Keeps it under 1k but gives you all of the basics. The dan wesson stuff is awesome, but will cost quite a bit more. If I was going to spend over 1k I would say go with any of the Dan wesson stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by SW CQB 45 View Post
    While I am a big into Springers.... and feel lost without SACS...

Dan Wesson is a great value for what you get out of the box.

I have a Valkyrie Alloy frame Commander and out of the box has been fantastic.

I added a pricey WC RB alloy Magwell which fit perfectly.

here is my SACS Custom Carry. Flawless piece and nice shooter.

Mag on the same side as the pistol?

Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    Mag on the same side as the pistol?
    yes sir

its a spare mag for when the gun is in my left hand (bullets fwd). With a duty belt... I have 3 on the other side.... wearing plain clothes as in the image... there is just 2 on the other side.

In quals, we have to shoot from our left hand and the gun will run dry. While I have orangoutang arms to reach over to my mags, yearsssss ago... I decided to put a mag there. I have plenty of real estate.
    Last edited by SW CQB 45; 03-09-2019 at 08:30 AM.
    If you're going to be a bear….be a GRIZZLY!

There are only two things I recommend to folks looking for their first 1911

1) Do you want/need fixed or adjustable sights.

2) Do you want/need a beavertail grip safety.

Most folks coming to the 1911 don't realize all 1911 sight dovetails are not all the same, especially between fixed and adjustable sight dovetails. They also don't often realize the difference between a GI grip safety and a beavertail grip safety and that the grip tangs are different for both. If you choose wrong on either of these, you'll most likely end up having a gunsmith either grinding or welding on your gun to correct your choice.

User Tag List