Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314

Thread: 1911 Newbie

I've had two Springers, both needed to be sent back to SA for warranty work which SA did cheerfully and fixed the issue. I would not hesitate to buy another if I wanted a 1911. I currently have a Colt in .38 super auto that has been fantastic since I got it new in late 2012. Minimal mods and zero internal replacements. Just sights, springs and a larger thumb safety. I just checked my records and the last I cleaned it was 12/2017. Not sure of the round count since that point, I stopped recording at 1425 on 8/19/18. All I've done since is a drop or two of oil on the rails and barrel hood.
    So sample of one I'm satisfied. What I think is really important is that I reload and my loads are tailored for reliability as are the springs. Full power main, #15 recoil with a 124gr. FMJ going just short of 1200fps. Get good mags too. I like Wilson and Tripp.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by feudist View Post
    Springfield TRP for a 1911 newb?

I might can get a stainless one just under a grand.
    Most definitely not a bad place to start. Better than average production 1911.

Quote Originally Posted by feudist View Post
    Springfield TRP for a 1911 newb?

I might can get a stainless one just under a grand.
    Railed or non railed? Be aware takedown is different with bull barrel, but with a lil aftermarket help it does make the process simpler. I had a Long Beach operator that was amazing for what I paid. It was tight and reliable. I never should have sold that pistol. You also get conventional 1911 setup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Trukinjp13 View Post
    Railed or non railed? Be aware takedown is different with bull barrel, but with a lil aftermarket help it does make the process simpler. I had a Long Beach operator that was amazing for what I paid. It was tight and reliable. I never should have sold that pistol. You also get conventional 1911 setup.

If it's a stainless finish it won't have a rail.

And the LB Operator is a cool gun.

Quote Originally Posted by Robinson View Post
    If it's a stainless finish it won't have a rail.

And the LB Operator is a cool gun.
    Thanks, had a derp moment. I like the non railed trp since the sights are fixed and the ability to switch out the guide rods easily.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Trukinjp13 View Post
    Thanks, had a derp moment. I like the non railed trp since the sights are fixed and the ability to switch out the guide rods easily.

Agree with you 100% on the guide rod. But the adjustable rear sight on the TRP Operator is actually pretty robust, and is protected by the deep cut in the slide. I believe the design is based on the last batch of pistols Springfield Armory supplied to a certain Army unit.

Quote Originally Posted by Robinson View Post
    Agree with you 100% on the guide rod. But the adjustable rear sight on the TRP Operator is actually pretty robust, and is protected by the deep cut in the slide. I believe the design is based on the last batch of pistols Springfield Armory supplied to a certain Army unit.
    That is good to know. Pat Mac likes the adjustable rears. I have had bad experience with adjustable rears and the sight picture but only have very limited time shooting the railed trp.

10-8 has a nice drop in rear sight blade for adjustable rear sights (at least in the Bomar/LPA pattern).

http://www.10-8performance.com/1911-modular-rear-sight/

Looks pretty slick for anyone who maybe had an adjustable rear sight gun that they want to convert.

I recommend holding a TRP before deciding on one. Easily the sharpest front strap I've ever encountered.
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

User Tag List