Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: SS 9mm replacement cylinders for K frame

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    [QUOTE=1986s4;855853]I've bent/broke things that should never be broken. QUOTE]

Marine, right?

My problem is I find things wrong that nobody's ever seen before, and then I have to figure out how to fix them.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by 1986s4 View Post
    I'm not to sure how practical a 9mm revolver really is in practice. Moon clips are notorious for bending and thus rendering them unusable until bent back. There are ejection systems for rimless cases but are there practical speedloaders for them? I reload so maybe I'm biased but .38spl/.357mag work really well with speedloaders and ejection is simple and positive.
    I'm in this camp. I also reload and have a bunch of Starline .38 Short Colt brass which is just a standard .38 Special case trimmed to 9mm length, so it's a 9mm with a rim. Also 9mm loses a nice amount of velocity due to the barrel/cylinder gap, so they are never as fast as their auto brethren. I have 50 Hearthco clips that work perfectly and you pretty much have to step on them after dropping to bend them. I just can't figure out what 9mm does that this setup doesn't. For those that don't reload I still can't see what you get over .38 +P in a quality moonclip except for cheaper practice ammo. That's definitely a legit issue, but quite a long payback.

From reading other threads, a 9mm in a revolver supposedly offers better expansion & penetration than most .38 Specials when fired from a short 2" barrel.
    But, I'm oft wrong.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Quote Originally Posted by jtcarm View Post
    9mm revolvers aren’t even legal in IDPA. One of their many bass-ackwards revolver rules.
    Not that IDPA has everything right but it's really more of a level playing field and power factor thing. IDPA recognizes that a moon clip revo is faster than a speedloader so in an effort to not obsolete every .38 spl revolver out there they put a power factor requirement on moon clip loading revolvers. Something that a 9mm is probably not going to meet [also 6 round]. That said I do think that 7 & 8 round revolvers are common enough to be allowed in their own division or maybe with the moon clippers? But the revolver division is not highly entered so probably not worth the effort.
    My most recent IDPA match saw 30 shooters with 3 of us being revolver guys.

If someone recreates the 547 ejection system in a conversion, I’ll be there so fast...
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

[QUOTE=OlongJohnson;856145]
    I've bent/broke things that should never be broken. QUOTE]

Marine, right?

My problem is I find things wrong that nobody's ever seen before, and then I have to figure out how to fix them.
    Ha, Marines do have a reputation don't they? But no, Texas Guard, maybe I missed my calling. When I'm focused I often end up damaging myself, like hey, I'm bleeding and what's with that flap of skin, how did that happen and when?

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Not that IDPA has everything right but it's really more of a level playing field and power factor thing. IDPA recognizes that a moon clip revo is faster than a speedloader so in an effort to not obsolete every .38 spl revolver out there they put a power factor requirement on moon clip loading revolvers. Something that a 9mm is probably not going to meet [also 6 round]. That said I do think that 7 & 8 round revolvers are common enough to be allowed in their own division or maybe with the moon clippers? But the revolver division is not highly entered so probably not worth the effort.
    Both S&W and Ruger make guns that are not just designed for, but named for the IDPA requirements. And if you were really serious, you'd at least test with a Model 67.

The first rule of competition is to read the rulebook, and then figure out what will work best for you within those rules. There's always ChumpCar and LeMons if you can't be happy in SCCA or NASA.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    Both S&W and Ruger make guns that are not just designed for, but named for the IDPA requirements. And if you were really serious, you'd at least test with a Model 67.

The first rule of competition is to read the rulebook, and then figure out what will work best for you within those rules. There's always ChumpCar and LeMons if you can't be happy in SCCA or NASA.
    Not quite sure what you're saying here. I am aware of the S&W and Ruger IDPA revos. They're nice but I'm happy with my M13. I have read the IDPA rule book and moonclip revos have a higher power factor @ 155. I know that IPSC allows 9mm major in open so maybe it's possible but I'm not going there.

Note also that IDPA says that cliploaders must be .357 Magnum or larger.
    A 9mm overloaded to f-155 is not legit.
    Makes me glad I could not find a Speed Six 4" 9mm and that I did not splurge on the short lived .38 Super revolver.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Quote Originally Posted by jtcarm View Post
    9mm revolvers are actually the way to go for USPSA. Moon clips are the fastest reload and rimless rounds work much better.
    Actually, everyone competing seriously with revolvers in USPSA and ICORE run .38 Short Colts.

They do so, because they are the length of 9mm with a rim, so faster to reload. But they also do so, because .355" bullets give sub-par accuracy performance in .357" barreled revolvers. The 986 and 929 are quasi-popular, but typically group in the 4" range at 25 yards. Good enough to play the game at an okay level, but when you add in Minor scoring and the need to score more A hits, you eventually outrun the gun.

Guys have found solutions of course, loading up specifically tuned 986/929 loads to get them accurate enough. But at that point...you might as well load .38 Short Colts. Unless you're specifically setup to load 9mm (which some are, I am not).

Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    From reading other threads, a 9mm in a revolver supposedly offers better expansion & penetration than most .38 Specials when fired from a short 2" barrel.
    But, I'm oft wrong.
    True in 2" guns for sure. The gain there is significant over a .38 special. We recognize that the 9mm guns aren't quite as good as a .357 magnum, but few are willing to load a 340PD with maggies and shoot them. Meanwhile, an LCR loaded with 9mm +P can approximate the performance of 125-grain magnum from a short barrel, while giving less recoil and cheaper ammo.

In this sense the best place for a 9mm revolver is in the snub (<3" barrel range). Above 3" the distance between 9mm, .38 Special +P, and .357 Magnum is so small, it's not generally worth the effort to get a 9mm gun what with the moonclips, etc.

The 8-shot guns run with 5, 6, and 7s in USPSA. Admittedly, if you want to be highly competitive, you need to go 8 or bust, but that's playing the game. Moonclips speed up reloads, but the guys carrying 8-shot guns for defensive work use speedloaders on the streetz, because the Moonclips are too easy to muck up. Even the good ones can get bent rather easily. Drop one, step on it, leave it unprotected in your skinny jeans pocket when you sit down, or get it half-inserted into the gun and go to shut the revolver and wrench it between the frame and cylinder. The clip WILL get bent.

Do the same to a speed loader, worst case scenario, it becomes a bunch of loose rounds to single load in the gun. Do it to a moon clip, you're going to be playing a fancy new game called, "moon clip-speed strip", how fast can I get rounds out of a metal clip that doesn't want to give them up easily?

I guess my point is - I think if IDPA is still focusing on being a "street oriented" competition then leaving the moonies out is probably a wise idea.

User Tag List