Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Disguising the Draw

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Sierra View Post
    Absolutely. The AIWB hardcore seem to think that sliding your hand under your shirt at the very front of their body is somehow subtle. It's not. It's a huge attention getter for someone who is looking at you because people typically have NO reason to reach there, ever, for any reason.
    Agreed. I've taken to the Spaulding approach of the interview position. Usually twirling my wedding band, holding a clipboard, bag etc. My hands are rarely hanging natuarally at the sides throughout the day, so why practice that way.
    Taking a break from social media.

In regard to AIWB, a possible attempt to deflect attention might be feigning a physical ailment such as a GI upset, a heart attack, a need for your ulcer medication, etc which might prompt grabbing your abdominal region. Once there, disguising one's intent and a quick, steady response to the threat might be the difference between success and failure.

I've used distractions of the sort in undercover work early in my career and it helps to think outside the box if you want to take folks who are scrutinizing you by surprise.

Good topic. It's one I think about often.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    In regard to AIWB, a possible attempt to deflect attention might be feigning a physical ailment such as a GI upset, a heart attack, a need for your ulcer medication, etc which might prompt grabbing your abdominal region. Once there, disguising one's intent and a quick, steady response to the threat might be the difference between success and failure.

I've used distractions of the sort in undercover work early in my career and it helps to think outside the box if you want to take folks who are scrutinizing you by surprise.

Good topic. It's one I think about often.
    This is the topic that tempts me to actually employ a BUG. One at 3:30, one AIWB. Coming or going. Which if I was entering a high threat situation I could see actually doing. Have trialed it a few times.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    This is the topic that tempts me to actually employ a BUG. One at 3:30, one AIWB. Coming or going. Which if I was entering a high threat situation I could see actually doing. Have trialed it a few times.
    This is my usual recommendation, to pair a pocket carry with AIWB. The need for a BUG is minimal. The need for an alternate primary is a better way to think of it.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Quote Originally Posted by CCT125US View Post
    Regarding shot placement, what are the thoughts on center mass vs hitting the CNS? What value is placed on them? A common saying is that action beats reaction, but that is not always true. Also, all hits are not equal. I fondly recall doing a reaction drill against TLG in Aim Fast / Get SOM that addressed this.
    Vs random threats that are up close? Any hit *generally* works and the first shot as you make space is likely to be from a retention position. Of course a CNS is better, but do you have the skill to do it in the time window available? Some do, most don't.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    Compliance is always an option in a purse grab or wallet mugging. Reading the body language of the robber is an important step in the consideration of comply or fight.

That said, verbally explaining your motion prior to making it works pretty well. You set the expectation and because their mind is so busy with other things at the moment it wants to just accept that as long as the visual input matches. "My money is in my purse. My iphone is in my back pocket. Here, I'll give you the phone, too, just don't hurt me..."

Talking matters. It humanizes you, making it harder for them to pull the trigger, but it also ties up a bit more of their brain power as they process your words. Processing power is a finite resource, and the more that's tied up not working through the OODA loop and fighting back the better for you.
    Good point, to which I will add that getting them talking to you is even more helpful in getting them distracted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

Quote Originally Posted by Enel View Post

I, for one, am a reliable 1.8s draw to a 2” target at 5 yds from AIWB. When warmed up. 2-2.2s when cold. Which is to say, not really that fast, and I am not sure it really matters.
    I think that what must be considered is also part of what Tam (and some on PF) have addressed.

Your times as stated must be viewed in the context of the totality of the circumstances. These incidents will not be started from or timed within a context of a training environment whereby you are expecting to perform the evolution. Have you been caught completely unaware, or did you see it coming? If you saw it coming, was it from across the parking lot, or just 10 feet away (which is almost unaware). What is you footing; is it winter and slippery? What is your clothing ensemble? Is it at night? Are you coming out of the store clutching a sack of cold remedies, for your current illness?

I think that reinforcing mechanical movements is a good thing, but expecting them to be duplicated by the context of the scenario is not realistic. The good news is that many attackers are mopes, regardless of intent.

Many years ago I was speaking with a guy who worked in a very high performance entity; as he related: "He was in Beirut, dressed in mufti, with a 1911 holstered underneath a casual tail-out shirt, when aforementioned mopes got the drop on him. They had quickly pulled up, jumped out and surrounded him before he had sufficient safe time to react, 2 with AK's, the driver with a handgun. They immediately started relentless "Derpa" while trying to herd him to the car. He knew if he got in the car he was probably a dead man. While feigning compliance he took advantage of their "hey, this is going our way" momentary delusion, drew the 1911 and served each one CoM 1x and then sprinted as fast as he could. He said the thing that stuck in his head was the look of surprise on their faces."

If everything had not gone just right in that event it could have gone very wrong. Do not count on anything going right; you will only be disappointed.

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    I think I'd opt for one in the front pocket before I'd go standard IWB which has never been comfortable for me. Plus, easier to disguise or stage.

EDIT: I see in going back to the thread after replying to JHC that BBI has expressed the same perspective.
    Last edited by blues; 03-08-2019 at 03:00 PM.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Quote Originally Posted by BillSWPA View Post
    Good point, to which I will add that getting them talking to you is even more helpful in getting them distracted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    True, it's a measurable increase in response times if you are talking. Tough to do in many street crimes, they tend to be in a hurry. Home invasions, sex crimes, that sort of thing it becomes more of a possibility.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    I think I'd opt for one in the front pocket before I'd go standard IWB which has never been comfortable for me. Plus, easier to disguise or preset.
    Cool. Me I'm pretty big on belt line and never have warmed to pants pocket carry. Now I've done it. Once was in a termination meeting of an employee our PI discovered had shot his wife a few years earlier (she said it was an accident he shot her in the ass) and broke a guys leg in a bar fight. The termination was for hefty theft. There was a big retired detective now our PI present but my hand in pocket while seated was not going to be fast. NPE palooza at that place and time.
    Last edited by JHC; 03-08-2019 at 03:28 PM.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

User Tag List