Page 13 of 47 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: Beretta 92X Performance

Banned
    holding the head of Perseus in my support hand
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeep View Post
    If you like the Vertec frame (I do--my hands are only medium size at best) the M9A3 is a terrific pistol, and is even better if you drop in LTT's trigger job in a bag. I think it is my most accurate Beretta, though that might be because of the smaller grip.
    I am sure the tjiab is great, but I just get stuff from LTT with the actual TJ from the man himself, though maybe there’s not much difference. but I don’t have a local gunsmith so it just cuts hassle and I know everything is right. I wonder if LTT will sell 92x variants. Kinda waiting to see.

I have my mother’s big hands and don’t find a regular 92 with thin grips a problem, but I have not handled a vertec yet.
    Last edited by Medusa; 03-15-2019 at 05:31 PM.

Different guns for different purposes, but I'd like to get price on this so I know whether to send my shekels to LTT or this.

Quote Originally Posted by Rapid Butterfly View Post
    I am sure the tjiab is great, but I just get stuff from LTT with the actual TJ from the man himself, though maybe there’s not much difference. but I don’t have a local gunsmith so it just cuts hassle and I know everything is right. I wonder if LTT will sell 92x variants. Kinda waiting to see.

I have my mother’s big hands and don’t find a regular 92 with thin grips a problem, but I have not handled a vertec yet.
    Having Langdon do it personally is going to be good, but one of the things I like about the tjiab is it forced me to figure out how to install a 92 sear (the rest of the frame is pretty easy), and it's probably a good idea to know in detail how the pistol works.

Banned
    holding the head of Perseus in my support hand
    A person has to know her limitations. I understand how the pistol works, but in the same way I don’t port my own cylinder heads on a race engine or adjust ring and pinion lash myself, I’m not planning on doing detail stripping or much beyond field stripping and cleaning. I understand others make a different calculation.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeep View Post
    Having Langdon do it personally is going to be good, but one of the things I like about the tjiab is it forced me to figure out how to install a 92 sear (the rest of the frame is pretty easy), and it's probably a good idea to know in detail how the pistol works.

A person has to know her limitations. I understand how the pistol works, but in the same way I don’t port my own cylinder heads on a race engine or adjust ring and pinion lash myself, I’m not planning on doing detail stripping or much beyond field stripping and cleaning. I understand others make a different calculation.
    Yeah, I can understand that. I started learning how to detail strip pistols many years ago in the Army. It was an Article 15 offense, but since our armorers basically never did anything, .45's often had double-digit trigger pulls because they allowed the mainsprings to rust away in their housing (among other things). No one cared because the reg said the trigger pull must be at least 6 pounds and didn't mention a maximum. Then, in civilian life, I found that "gunsmiths" who could even detail strip and repair firearms (much less do real gunsmithing) were rare creatures, and now youtube allows one to see how almost any maintenance function is done.

But I don't repair my own cars either, and as you implicitly note, in this world one size never fits all.

Some pistols I can detail strip, and others I cannot. Glock and 1911-pattern pistols are easy. HK and Beretta 92-series guns are not. The little springs and detents are the issue. One of the issues for me and the 92-series is extractor removal and replacement for cleaning involves staking. I have staked 1911 plunger tubes as I have the tools; I also staked one improperly and tied up the pistol.

As such, I leave the 92-series detail-stripping to my local smith.

Quote Originally Posted by farscott View Post
    Some pistols I can detail strip, and others I cannot. Glock and 1911-pattern pistols are easy. HK and Beretta 92-series guns are not. The little springs and detents are the issue. One of the issues for me and the 92-series is extractor removal and replacement for cleaning involves staking. I have staked 1911 plunger tubes as I have the tools; I also staked one improperly and tied up the pistol.

As such, I leave the 92-series detail-stripping to my local smith.
    Extractor staking is an issue I think about a lot. I've seen several people say they never do it and clean the firing pin channel every 5000rds.

I've seen other people say that it is required and that is why they have never cleaned the firing pin channel once in 25K or more rounds.

I think about it because for the first time I have a few guns with 13lb hammer springs now. No light strikes now even with the hardest of primers but I see the random user on the forums that has issues with soft primers like WWB or Federal with a brand new Wilson or other 92 with a 13lb spring.

It makes me think about the safety margin with a 13lb spring and how much crud in the firing pin channel can overcome it.

Quote Originally Posted by falar View Post
    I think about it because for the first time I have a few guns with 13lb hammer springs now. No light strikes now even with the hardest of primers but I see the random user on the forums that has issues with soft primers like WWB or Federal with a brand new Wilson or other 92 with a 13lb spring.
    It makes me think about the safety margin with a 13lb spring and how much crud in the firing pin channel can overcome it.
    I think you have a valid concern there. Before TJIBS came out I had bought some 12, 13, 14, 16 springs and trying them in a pretty new 92G. Had light strikes w/ the 12 so installed a skeleton hammer which fixed them. Later I tried an 11 and shot one mag and removed it. Over the last 1.5 years w/o and then w/ TJIBs the 12# has been reliable in several 92s as long as they have the skeleton hammer. But all this tells me 12 is the edge. So 12s are in my two competition guns, 13 in my wife's EII and 14s in all the rest because they could be used defensively. The good thing is that every light strike fired on the next pull which is, of course, in DA. That is one advantage of DA/SA guns, no need to rack the slide for a second chance at making it fire. I also think that this coming week, I will blasy some firing pin/extractors clean.

Ernest actually has a great video where he walks through disassembly and installation of each part within the frame. It’s much, much easier than one would think and certainly far less tedious/annoying than disassembling the slide.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    In the video, they have this gun with a dot sight mounted on some kind of apparatus that is attached to the dust cover frame rail. Any idea what that mount/adapter is, or where someone might get one that is strong and stable enough to work with a 92a1 or other railed 92 that is actually already out and available?
    Last edited by Duelist; 03-26-2019 at 05:09 PM.

User Tag List