Page 46 of 47 FirstFirst ... 3644454647 LastLast

Thread: Beretta 92X Performance

The Defensive is like a worse version of the LTT Elite RDO for people who want a frame-mounted thumb safety instead of a slide-mounted deckock lever.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Sauce View Post
    What's the point of lightened Brig slide, why not go Vertec at that point?
    I wondered this too, I was scratching my head.

Quote Originally Posted by Bergeron View Post
    Interesting to note that Beretta decided to stick with the steel frame instead of an aluminum one, and also ditched the rail.

I assume this new configuration helps it slot better into USPSA/IPSC/IDPA.
    I’m going to guess the rail was removed to make IDPA weight requirements?

USPSA, you’d probably want the railed version.

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Sauce View Post
    What's the point of lightened Brig slide, why not go Vertec at that point?
    The Brig slide is beefed up around the locking block, so weight where it matters. Also, can share sights with the other performance models.

Again, I have to wonder if it was done to meet IDPA weight requirements. I stopped shooting / following IDPA rules after the 1 point is 1 second down rule.

Sure wish that the 92 XP were a little more weather resistant. No complaints overall. I like the weight.

Ok so I am probably way off target here, but I need you good folks to tell me why. I am interested in a 92X Performance as a home defense gun. I am basically thinking of it as the 9mm double stack 1911 that is reliable and/or doesn't cost $3500 I've been looking for.

In my experience I feel like "competition" guns tend to be the best defensive guns, when carry is not a consideration. For HD, the "practical tactical" concept rings true with me. Can I assume this will be as reliable with hollowpoints and defensive loads as a normal 92?

Any other concerns on why the 92X Performance wouldn't be a great home defense (handgun) choice? I can't think of any but I haven't found many people talking about it outside the context of competition.
    Last edited by ScotchMan; 01-20-2022 at 06:15 PM.
    Join FPC

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by ScotchMan View Post
    Ok so I am probably way off target here, but I need you good folks to tell me why. I am interested in a 92X Performance as a home defense gun. I am basically thinking of it as the 9mm double stack 1911 that is reliable and/or doesn't cost $3500 I've been looking for.

In my experience I feel like "competition" guns tend to be the best defensive guns, when carry is not a consideration. For HD, the "practical tactical" concept rings true with me. Can I assume this will be as reliable with hollowpoints and defensive loads as a normal 92?

Any other concerns on why the 92X Performance wouldn't be a great home defense (handgun) choice? I can't think of any but I haven't found many people talking about it outside the context of competition.
    At the very least, it wouldn't be bad for that. If you plan to use a red dot, I would get a Langdon rather than any of the Beretta optics models. If you want irons, the fiber optics that come on the 92X Performance are good. It should be just as reliable. Personally, I prefer a more normal and cheaper 92X G model or LTT, I like DA/SA and the aluminum frame for carry, and a standard 92FS grip profile, but if you don't plan to carry it, it would make a very respectable HD and range gun.

No way to put an RDS on a 92X Performance slide outside of a dovetail. LTT can only cut for a regular 92X; while a 92X Performance can shoot with an LTT RDO slide, the safeties don't work (both the frame and the slide), rendering back to being DA for the first shot. I suppose you could do a full open-type set-up, whether it be a custom job or backordering a Toni System mount (https://christiansencomponents.com/p...cro-dot-mount/).

An out the box solution would probably be something like a P226 Legion RXP SAO or CZ Shadow 2 OR and convert to SAO, which I'm told is pretty easy, if we're doing SAO metal-framed guns.

I think they are putting their red dot sights on a mount off the rail.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PdJl9L6cFCM

I wouldn't want a DA/SA gun without a decocker. I'd rather have any of the non-Performance 92's for a home defense gun. I see the 92X Performance and 92X Performance Defensive as narrow focus game guns. If you participate in the games where they are legal, they are probably great, but for any other purpose, I'd pick something else.

I get the same feeling with the Performance guns that I had with the Springfield Armory Range Officer when it was introduced. I spent a lot of key strokes over a handful of gun forums trying to talk folks out of that gun and into a TRP, or Loaded, or Mil-Spec, as probably better choices for their needs, but bunches of folks jumped on that gun since it was a new model in the Springfield line-up. As I expected, many of those folks quickly realized that LPA rear sight wasn't what they were looking for. Harrison, Heinie, and 10-8 Performance sold a bunch of odd looking replacement rears for that LPA sight, but most of those folks would have been better served with a different model.

I actually really like mine for a range toy. If the weight wasn’t a concern (as in a nightstand pistol) I think it would make a solid HD choice. I’ve shot some Hornady HAP reloads in mine and it’s been perfectly reliable. Honestly, mine has had the same boringly consistent reliability that I’ve always got out of 92 series Berettas. I say go for it if it tickles your fancy.

User Tag List