Thread: Man Steals Gun from Holster

Man Steals Gun from Holster

Aside from the Zampolit enforced choice of descriptor ("teen") there are multiple issues in play, such as situational awareness, open/obvious carry, etc

https://www.kansas.com/news/local/cr...cquhjSTQil90H8

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Despite what many OC advocates would have you believe, this happens. Gun grabs are like a fire triangle.
    #1 Guy with gun.
    #2 Criminal Guy who wants gun notices guy #1.
    #3 The guy in #2 sees an opportunity to grab it.

I've seen plenty of guns I could have grabbed had I been the #2 part. I've worked about half a dozen successful gun grabs, one of which was a guy working on his car. Another was doing siding. Things that required attention on the job at hand, which naturally constrains your situational awareness. All were on a particular side of town with a higher concentration of #2 guys.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Banned
    There's a concept that seems to come up and every open carry thread I've ever seen regardless of what Forum it's on.

I have not open carried apart from work for probably 10 years. The biggest reason I choose not to open carry unless I am required to do so at work is because I've had people try to take my gun off me. Because of that you will absolutely never convince me that open carry has any more than minimal deterrent value.

Now here's the concept that I'm trying to get to. At some point during almost every open carry discussion I've ever seen somebody rightly points out that police officers are routinely attacked by people who know they're carrying guns.

Whenever that is said somebody will respond that it's different for the police because they're required by their jobs to put themselves in positions where they come in contact with people like that. Where they're required to attempt to take a dangerous felon into custody and your average citizen carrier avoids situations like that.

What people seem to willfully ignore is that those dangerous convicted felons that the police are required to interact with or try to take into custody walk among us.

There was a thread 6 months or so ago about a guy who walked around in a Best Buy in Hollywood for 20 or 30 minutes waiting for the right victim to show up and then he cold-cocked the guy stole his iPhone and walked out the emergency exit. Does anyone really think that if that kid had been open carrying the guy wouldn't have stolen hiis gun as well?

I mean I know people here get it but why is that concept so hard to get across to your average citizen with a concealed handgun permit?
    Last edited by Cypher; 03-08-2019 at 03:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cypher View Post
    I mean I know people here get it but why is that concept so hard to get across to your average citizen with a concealed handgun permit?
    Honestly, I think it's something that the average gun toter *does* get, which is why CC is the norm. It's the vocal OC folks who don't. They either live in areas with very low concentration of #2 to begin with, thus they are "deterring" non-existent crime, or they've got some other motive for open carry and are justifying it. I completely get OC for political reasons. It was a big part of Ohio getting a license to carry. I also understand that appearances matter, and perhaps the OC crowd didn't help Texas out much.

Uniformed cops OC because everyone knows we're armed anyway, combined with we carry so much bat-belt stuff it'd be real tough not to. When I was in plain clothes, I concealed.

Open carry might be a deterrent, but whatcha gonna do if it isn't?
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

Open carry coupled with an empty head is a bad combination. Sorry, but OC was not the root cause for this debacle. Lack of brain power was.

Quote Originally Posted by TAZ View Post
    Open carry coupled with an empty head is a bad combination. Sorry, but OC was not the root cause for this debacle. Lack of brain power was.
    Debating the root cause is probably more philosophical than useful, but the fact remains had the gun not been exposed it wouldn't have happened. One leg of the gun-grab triangle was missing.

As far as situational awareness, let's all admit you can't have 360 degree constant awareness all the time. Particularly when engaged in some task that requires our attention, no matter if that's texting or swapping out a radiator.

Fake news. Open carry activists have assured us that this never happens.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    Mandatory OC dress and physique - based on the three I've seen in TX.

1. Overlap belly
    2. T-shirt highlighting belly
    4. One semi in cheap holster, flopping around OWB
    5. No extra mag
    6. Strutting (as seen in guy who has to go over to two officers eating lunch in the burger joint, to pose). Officers look at him with disdain.

My two cents on the retention training mantra. Of course, it is a good thing. However, it presumes that the OC person will get into a wrestling match for the gun. The BG comes over and announces: I will now wrestle you for the gun! That's different from police who have to go hands on with folks.

If a BG wants your gun and penetrates your AEGIS like situational awareness radar, why go for the gun? Go for the person, if the gun snatch isn't easy - like in the video. Stab the OC person repeatedly, hit him with a rock. Shoot him with your Lorcin 25 and trade up.

Most OC types brag how they carry in low threat environments. Do you carry on the crowded subway? NO - why? I wonder. So you open carry in Mayberry and keep an eye on Aunt Bea.
    Last edited by Glenn E. Meyer; 03-09-2019 at 12:48 PM.

User Tag List