Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Probationary officers fired

That's why they call it probation. If a new officer can't figure it out, suck it up, or GAF in the first year, they certainly won't in the next 20-25.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Site Supporter
    I wonder about their selection process. I know in my Dept the company they contracted for intial hire testing is weeding out the meat eaters. It was frustrating because non aggressive policing is another phrase for lazy. I can’t blame the new hires. They are told don’t do that, don’t do this , don’t hurt anybody , don’t upset anybody. No wonder they are confused.

I call it “The Pussification of America” and its a problem everywhere.

You want Eloi and Morlocks? This is how you get Eloi and Morlocks.
    Are you now, or have you ever been a member of the Doodie Project?

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    I got to be the guy to take a just-fired probationary officer around to collect his gear and turn everything in. While it wasn't his only issue, failing to respond to a hot run and to an "assist an officer" run that he was nearby where the anvils that broke the camel's back.

Not everyone is suited for this job. I note that many of the younger officers are scared, and I think they are more scared of the admin and getting fired then they are of getting hurt. The flip side is they are way better at following rules to both the letter and spirit then I remember us being at their stage in the career. They accept discipline well and want feedback. It's definitely a give-and-take.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    I got to be the guy to take a just-fired probationary officer around to collect his gear and turn everything in. While it wasn't his only issue, failing to respond to a hot run and to an "assist an officer" run that he was nearby where the anvils that broke the camel's back.

Not everyone is suited for this job. I note that many of the younger officers are scared, and I think they are more scared of the admin and getting fired then they are of getting hurt. The flip side is they are way better at following rules to both the letter and spirit then I remember us being at their stage in the career. They accept discipline well and want feedback. It's definitely a give-and-take.
    There are a lot of things that can and should be forgiven...especially in regard to walking the tightrope between admin and the street. What works for one doesn't always work for the other...and lives and careers hang in the balance.

But it is unforgivable to leave a brother or sister officer in need, whether your own agency or any other, to be left dangling in harm's way or the possibility thereof.

Know thyself.
    Last edited by blues; 03-08-2019 at 09:51 AM.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

Quote Originally Posted by GuanoLoco View Post
    I call it “The Pussification of America” and its a problem everywhere.

You want Eloi and Morlocks? This is how you get Eloi and Morlocks.
    That's a pretty unfair statement. It takes a dinky ass two years in a community college to net a police job, a graduate is not a guarantee for someone to be willing to eat gunfire a week into a new job. They shouldn't have been there, but I see you and I in the same position in a different life.
    Semper Gumby, Always Flexible

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    But it is unforgivable to leave a brother or sister officer in need, whether your own agency or any other, to be left dangling in harm's way or the possibility thereof.
    This.

“I felt it best that these two officers need to look for another profession,” McManus said.

This.
    Are you now, or have you ever been a member of the Doodie Project?

I have found that there are pussies in every generation. Some of the bravest people I have met were fellow teens and early twenty year olds. Some of the biggest creeps and cowards I have met are in there forties and fifties. I will say the newest generation has the weird spot of being very vocal via social media and that makes it seem like all of them are nuts.

Quote Originally Posted by breakingtime91 View Post
    I have found that there are pussies in every generation. Some of the bravest people I have met were fellow teens and early twenty year olds. Some of the biggest creeps and cowards I have met are in there forties and fifties. I will say the newest generation has the weird spot of being very vocal via social media and that makes it seem like all of them are nuts.

There is no courage or bravery without fear. If there is nothing to overcome then it cannot be measured.

The bravest souls, imho, are those who rise to the occasion, fully cognizant of the risk, their fear and potential inadequacy, but who answer the call in spite of it.

No generation has a monopoly on such individuals. They are the stuff of legends. We would be woefully diminished without them to guide us.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    They are the stuff of legends.
    Indeed they are. President Reagan said of him: "If the story of his heroism were a movie script, you would not believe it".

User Tag List