Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Probationary officers fired

Probationary officers fired

Probationary officers fired after running off during officer-involved shooting
    Wednesday, March 6th 2019

SAN ANTONIO — The San Antonio police department confirmed two probationary officers were fired after they ran off during an officer-involved shooting this week.
    Police Chief William McManus said the two probationary officers were accompanying Sergeant Steven Castillo when he was called early Monday morning to check out a disturbance at a home on Spring Dale Street. A probationary officer is a rookie officer, one who just got out of academy a year or less.

The parents of the suspect, identified as Daniel Moncada, called 911 to help get their son under control. Castillo arrived with the probationary officers and confronted Moncada in a bedroom.
    Detectives said Moncada fired a shotgun toward Castillo; he returned fire, killing Moncada. Sources later claimed the two probationary officers ran off during the gunfire. McManus called it an "unavoidable shooting."

The two unidentified officers were fired for their actions, McManus said, but they will not face any criminal charges.
    “I felt it best that these two officers need to look for another profession,” McManus said.

Castillo, a 26-year veteran of the force, was assigned to administrative duty pending an investigation.
    “We expect officers to react in a certain way and it didn’t happen," McManus said. "In order to protect SAPD officers we felt it best to let these officers go."

Sad...especially in the shadow of the Alamo. Props to Sgt. Castillo for handling his business.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Site Supporter
    https://www.ksat.com/news/2-probatio...D5388400018523

SAPD is a pretty squared away outfit and one of the better paid / better trained / more competitive agencies in the area. Not surprised the Chief dealt with this quickly and decisively.

Living across the Golden Bridge , and through the Rainbow Tunnel, somewhere north of Fantasyland.
    Not at all sure they would be terminated at my agency under current policy, and with the prevailing sentent of our police commission. Our current policy explicitly states that officers that "retreat" will not be found to have neglected their duty, but to have fulfilled it. Brave New world.

Years ago there was a video of an armored-up entry team about to enter a storefront in a stripmall. As they entered, shots rang out and most of the team immediately abandoned ship. One guy was left behind, alone, so he stood up straight, returned fire, and entered the storefront and finished it - all by himself.

I can't find that video. Anybody know the one I mean?

Quote Originally Posted by Wendell View Post
    Years ago there was a video of an armored-up entry team about to enter a storefront in a stripmall. As they entered, shots rang out and most of the team immediately abandoned ship. One guy was left behind, alone, so he stood up straight, returned fire, and entered the storefront and finished it - all by himself.

I can't find that video. Anybody know the one I mean?
    I have a copy of it. One man hostage rescue.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

Site Supporter
    Not sure my agency would address the problem as swiftly and succinctly either. Probably would make excuses and provide soft retraining.

Good job by the sergeant for doing what needed to be done.
    Polite Professional

Site Supporter
    Despite my age and forced-to-retire status, I wonder if SOME of this might be as much a training issue as a selection issue. If you don't know what to do, you may default to previous experience and training. For many people, running from danger, especially incoming gunfire, is the default (and, if you're not a police, correct) response.

In a world where cops are trained that not killing or injuring an assailant is a priority and that de-escalation is the much preferred objective, I wonder if these officers were doing what they believed the department wanted them to do. Students of military history may realize that once someone flees in panic, it encourages a mass retreat. I wonder that if once the first rookie ran, it seemed the best decision by the second. I also wonder if one or both might have considered their actions the right thing to do based on what they were taught.

I do not want to suggest that cowardice is at all acceptable, but this might be an example of officers responding to training. Guardian versus warrior, doncha know?

Quote Originally Posted by jnc36rcpd View Post
    Despite my age..... Guardian versus warrior, doncha know?
    Maybe because of my age I can see your point. What I read about seems like another planet. The attached photo (not my agency) was after my time, but it certainly represented an ethic that was the norm, both in my childhood and during my time in the saddle. When I hear how “brutal” LEO’s are these days all that I can do is muster a sardonic smile and think “not hardly, Pilgrim”.

Name:  EB6DB57D-7714-492B-93B2-31C8EB74E383.jpeg
Views: 969
Size:  16.6 KB

I'm not going to pile on these guys, but I think the SAPD Chief's statement is appropriate. They're simply not fit for the profession. With that in mind, I'm curious to hear what everyone's agency does in their training/evaluation process to try and identify and weed out recruits who aren't fit.

My agency employs a VIRTRA system and our state POST doesn't shy away from force-on-force scenarios with simunitions. Those tools help, but I think the most effective method is an honest FTO process that is independent of external influence (PC culture, dept. staffing problems, etc.). Five of my agency's last six recruits were let go prior to completion of FTO. Personally, I appreciate that our admin is willing to accept the loss in time/money invested, rather than keep on someone who is not fit.
    Last edited by RJflyer; 03-08-2019 at 06:43 AM.

User Tag List