Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Week 311: GM Test

I did not plan on shooting this drill today but I decided to mess with various glasses and found something interesting.

Normally my shooting glasses have some magnification (.75). As a result, I can see the front sight clearly but long distance targets are slightly blurry. Today I decided to try regular shooting glasses to experiment with target focus vs sight focus shooting at distance.
    First, I shot a Bill Drill at 25 yrds without the prescription glasses and was surprised by both time and hits. Normally I can shoot the 25 yrd bill drill around 4.5 sec with a couple of Cs if not clean if everything (Grip) goes okay. Without the Rx glasses my first run was 3.75 sec with one very close C. I shot again - 3.98, with one C. So I swapped the glasses and got 4.25 sec with three C's wearing the Rx glasses. After a while I found that I was definitely faster without the Rx glasses and my accuracy was the same or may be even better on this type of open targets.
    So I decided to shoot the GM drill. I used to shoot it a lot when I was shooting Production to practice the DA trigger.

USPSA Limited rig: 40SW CZ TSO, DAA holster. No Rx glasses

1st run - 3 Cs. With major scoring - 52 points
    2nd - 1 C (the head shot) - 54 points.
    I have to admit that the head shot was actually more difficult without the Rx glasses. So for the tight partial targets (Zebra, for example) it may be not worth it.
    Today was a sunny day. I am not sure if I would have the same results indoor or under different light conditions but I am going to explore this further.
    Last edited by cheby; 03-24-2019 at 10:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cheby View Post
    I did not plan on shooting this drill today but I decided to mess with various glasses and found something interesting.

Normally my shooting glasses have some magnification (.75). As a result, I can see the front sight clearly but long distance targets are slightly blurry. Today I decided to try regular shooting glasses to experiment with target focus vs sight focus shooting at distance.
    First, I shot a Bill Drill at 25 yrds without the prescription glasses and was surprised by both time and hits. Normally I can shoot the 25 yrd bill drill around 4.5 sec with a couple of Cs if not clean if everything (Grip) goes okay. Without the Rx glasses my first run was 3.75 sec with one very close C. I shot again - 3.98, with one C. So I swapped the glasses and got 4.25 sec with three C's wearing the Rx glasses. After a while I found that I was definitely faster without the Rx glasses and my accuracy was the same or may be even better on this type of open targets.
    So I decided to shoot the GM drill. I used to shoot it a lot when I was shooting Production to practice the DA trigger.

USPSA Limited rig: 40SW CZ TSO, DAA holster. No Rx glasses

1st run - 3 Cs. With major scoring - 52 points
    2nd - 1 C (the head shot) - 54 points.
    I have to admit that the head shot was actually more difficult without the Rx glasses. So for the tight partial targets (Zebra, for example) it may be not worth it.
    Today was a sunny day. I am not sure if I would have the same results indoor or under different light conditions but I am going to explore this further.
    Very interesting report. I've got a lot to think about and experiment with along similar lines.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

I shot this again today. First run was cold, first 11 shots of the day. Second run tightened things up and managed to pass. I only see 9 holes in the target, but it's one of those weird self-healing plastic things and 2 of the shots in the "A" looked misshapen, so that's how I scored it. Just squeaked in with a 49/50, but happy with the times. This skillset seems to be one of those things that seems unobtainable at first, but once you do it a few times it sort of cracks the code for you. I'm moving out of the holster at the same speed I would trying for a sub-sec draw at 7yds. Then using an extra half second or so to refine sight picture and work the trigger a little more carefully.

Food Court Apprentice
    Semper Paratus certified AR15 armorer

Quote Originally Posted by ASH556 View Post
    This skillset seems to be one of those things that seems unobtainable at first, but once you do it a few times it sort of cracks the code for you.
    You have just learned how to train yourself and you can now accomplish anything.
    A71593

I only see 9 holes in the target, but it's one of those weird self-healing plastic things and 2 of the shots in the "A" looked misshapen
    9 alpha 1 mike, brah.

I kid, I kid

The one thing I hate the most is hearing "alpha, mike, no shoot"

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Sierra View Post
    9 alpha 1 mike, brah.

I kid, I kid

The one thing I hate the most is hearing "alpha, mike, no shoot"
    Just 'cause

Food Court Apprentice

Just 'cause

OK 2 alpha

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Sierra View Post
    OK 2 alpha
    Food Court Apprentice

Equipment used: gun, holster, concealment (if any) HK P30S V3/TLR-7 in a JMCK AIWB, condition 1 with GG SRS trigger kit installed
    Total number of shots fired within the time limits 10/11
    Total number of points for shots fired within the time limits 42/55
    Pass or Fail Fail
    Anything you noticed Blew the follow up shot on the first string really bad, I dunno but after that I get moving. This is hard but great for pushing your accuracy at speed, I'm thinking fast draw, crush grip and slow sight picture clean up on the first shot are going to be the largest factors for me. Also I should have spent more time on the headshot.

Last edited by SsevenN; 03-29-2019 at 05:50 PM.
    "I'm checking out, somebody throw me in the trash"

t. Frank Reynolds - IASIP

G19.5 w/ RM06, DSG Orion AIWB, AE9FP, T-Shirt

2.66 (A, C), 2.68 (2A), 3.17 (2A), 2.54 (2A), 2.78 (2A), 1.69 (A)

Points within par: 30/55

FAIL

Things I noticed: First hits were all within par and all A's, including the final upper-A. Each was around 1.6-1.8 draw times. Just a touch slow on the draw and way too slow on the follow-up.

As a comparison, on the IDPA Abbreviated Classifier, I hit 20.05 today, and the FAST, I hit 5.7, each on the first run. I feel like my times on those drills are much better relative to this drill. It indicates to me that my dryfire regimen is paying dividends, but also that there needs to be a larger investment in my 25yd drills for speed. The second shot on all strings was ridiculously slow. Given the .3s overtime window, I should have done much better.
    Last edited by fwrun; 04-03-2019 at 01:23 PM.

User Tag List