Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Week 311: GM Test

Week 311: GM Test

Week 311: GM Test

Results may be posted until April 8th, 2019.

Designed by: nwhpfan, derived from a Ben Stoeger drill
    Range: 25 yards
    Target: USPSA Metric
    Start Position: Facing downrange, hands hanging naturally
    Rounds Fired: 11

Upon start signal, draw and shoot two rounds to the lower A-zone. Time limit is two seconds, with a .3 second grace period. Repeat four times, for a total of ten shots to the lower A-zone. Last, draw and shoot one round to the upper A-zone (no time limit.)

Add up the points you scored for shots fired within the par time and grace period, plus the last shot with no time limit.

For simplicity's sake, if you are shooting 9mm/.38 Spl, you will be scored Minor (A = 5 points, B/C = 3 points, D = 1 point.) If you are shooting .357/.40/.45, you will be scored Major (A = 5 points, B/C = 4 points, D = 2 points.) No penalty for misses or overtime shots - you just don't get any points for those.

49 out of the possible 55 points is Passing on this test.

Please report the following when you post your results in this thread:

Equipment used: gun, holster, concealment (if any)
    Total number of shots fired within the time limits
    Total number of points for shots fired within the time limits
    Pass or Fail
    Anything you noticed

Training with firearms is an inherently dangerous activity. Be sure to follow all safety protocols when using firearms or practicing these drills. These drills are provided for information purposes only. Use at your own risk.
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

I volunteer as tribute

And the odds were not in my favor.

Equipment used: gun, holster, concealment (if any) - Beretta 92A1, JM OWB
    Total number of shots fired within the time limits - all on run #1, about half on runs 2 and 3.
    Total number of points for shots fired within the time limits 24/55
    Pass or Fail FAIL
    Anything you noticed

Man, I really suck and this test was a wakeup call lest I get any notions about going and shooting USPSA or anything (can we say, "D"?)

I shot it 3 times. The first was just trying to shoot the drill as written and make the times. The second was trying to shoot the sights and get the hits. The third was an attempt to still get hits, but pick the speed back up. It didn't really work out.

Food Court Apprentice
    Semper Paratus certified AR15 armorer

@ASH556
    at least you shot it. Last year when this one came around I skipped it as a total waste of my ammo. This year I'm trying it as I've worked on something similar but not so fast a good bit. I'm referring to the LAPD SWAT qual's 25 yard stage of 2 shots from ready at 25 yds in a 4.0 par. Which is a big difference except over time I've tended to not use 4 sec but use not quite 3. So I've got to draw and shoot faster. What could go wrong? LOL
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Tried it again with much better results this time. All that draw speed work this week paid off and gave me a few extra tenths to work the trigger. Fouled the draw on the over-time run and took the time to correct it.

Claiming this headshot (shot 11 of the drill) as an "A" too!

Food Court Apprentice
    Semper Paratus certified AR15 armorer

Quote Originally Posted by ASH556 View Post
    Tried it again with much better results this time. All that draw speed work this week paid off and gave me a few extra tenths to work the trigger. Fouled the draw on the over-time run and took the time to correct it.

Claiming this headshot (shot 11 of the drill) as an "A" too!

btw,
    I confirmed that this remains a waste of my ammo.

I got four runs under time (a draw and actually "sinking" two shots under 2.0 from 25 yds is not in my repertoire) but don't have my log with me right now to provide hit details. Not really necessary, it was a hot mess of C's and D's and few A's. Running out the hit factor math never entered the equation (pun intended) as it was ugly.
    Last edited by JHC; 03-20-2019 at 11:53 AM.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    btw,
    I confirmed that this remains a waste of my ammo.

I got four runs under time (a draw and actually "sinking" two shots under 2.0 from 25 yds is not in my repertoire) but don't have my log with me right now to provide hit details. Not really necessary, it was a hot mess of C's and D's and few A's. Running out the hit factor math never entered the equation (pun intended) as it was ugly.
    A few years ago I thought I was a very good shooter...then a USPSA GM came to my work and I realized how unable a I really was. So I began to search to be a better shooter. And I read a quote here that was a revelation... essentially in regards to Dave Sevigny that he actually wasn’t a robot. That he used to be woefully deficient too....until he started to train and seek improvement. I searched out information here, elsewhere, and I read books and listened to people like Ben Stoeger. And one day I read here that @Mr_White was going to start shootign USPSA and low and behold I ran into him at the match that weekend.
    We've been shooting buds and friends ever since. So when he asked me to contribute to a DOTW this came to mind. I'll share its origin.

Ben Stoeger writes in his book Skills and Drills that 2 shots to the A zone 2 seconds, repeatedly, is "Grand Master Shooting." He went on to point out that you have to do just about everything correct. Draw to the right spot, trigger without disrupting aim, recoil control, tracking sights, reacquiring aim, etc.

So I started shooting these pairs over and over and along the way I had two very important things. A standard and goal to aspire and timer and scoring to evaluate my performance. Do, evaluate, adjust, rinse repeat etc. I added in the head box and 5x with USPSA scoring to make it more "attainable."

Waste of ammo, no, because failure is just a part of the process to finding the formula (technique) for success. I hope people will shoot this and see where they’re at and work towards GM shooting, it’s what I do. And FWIW, I only pass about 70% of the time.
    Last edited by nwhpfan; 03-20-2019 at 12:50 PM.
    A71593

Site Supporter
    Ran this one time today. Hot mess describes it.

Beretta 92a1, 14# hammer spring, Wilson fiber front and Combat rear, JMCK George from 3:00 IWB position, WWB 124gr NATO FMJ.

2 seconds at 25 yds? LOL. 2.88, 2.69, 2.60, 2.93, 3.26, and 2.23 for the attempt at the upper A.

I know where 7/11 of those rounds went. 3 of the body shots were C, 3 were D, the rest were misses that went *somewhere* else. The upper A was just outside the head.

Every. Single. Shot. Was over time, except the upper A fell in the grace period. If only it had hit the head.

Name:  92720FA2-AF46-4CE7-BC06-E6A8458D7495.jpg
Views: 455
Size:  42.2 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Duelist View Post
    Ran this one time today. Hot mess describes it.

Beretta 92a1, 14# hammer spring, Wilson fiber front and Combat rear, JMCK George from 3:00 IWB position, WWB 124gr NATO FMJ.

2 seconds at 25 yds? LOL. 2.88, 2.69, 2.60, 2.93, 3.26, and 2.23 for the attempt at the upper A.

I know where 7/11 of those rounds went. 3 of the body shots were C, 3 were D, the rest were misses that went *somewhere* else. The upper A was just outside the head.

Every. Single. Shot. Was over time, except the upper A fell in the grace period. If only it had hit the head.

Name:  92720FA2-AF46-4CE7-BC06-E6A8458D7495.jpg
Views: 455
Size:  42.2 KB
    I would suggest you shorten the distance to 15 yards and add 1 seconds and try again. The upper A is not timed and you can thumb cock it if you want.

As you progress shorten the time before you add the distance.
    A71593

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by nwhpfan View Post
    I would suggest you shorten the distance to 15 yards and add 1 seconds and try again. The upper A is not timed and you can thumb cock it if you want.

As you progress shorten the time before you add the distance.
    Thanks. I guess I missed that the upper A is untimed. I will try it again with modifications.

I know I fail this drill right now.

This past Monday I was working on this very same thing (Ben's 2 at 25 drill) and I know for a fact that I need somewhere between 4.5 and 6 seconds to land two solid lower A zone hits. When I nailed my grip and index I managed a couple in the 4.2 to 4.4 sec range. Anything in the 3.5 - 3.9 sec range we're talking A-C and anything faster than that was tossing deltas and mikes.

So I know I need to put in more work there. I know I will definitely find 20 - 25 yard targets right off the gate in USPSA stages, and burning all that time getting hits will hurt.

User Tag List