Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: score in cylinder

It's a no lock Model 29, it will always be valuable, that value will stay at minimum stable as long as you don't beat the thing to death (i.e., wear all of the finish off it, drop it, let it rust, etc).

The flipside is, by virtue of being a 29- as opposed to a no-dash 29, means it will never be the most collectible gun. This means that you aren't going to wake up one morning and find your gun worth 10k (well it's unlikely, let's put it that way). So, even in mint condition the value is unlikely to rise significantly (percentage wise) over time.

I might be in the minority, but my expectation is that revolver prices (collector grade guns) will level out significantly over the next few years and may even drop some. They have already leveled off compared to where they were five years ago. I've been watching single action Colts for awhile now and have started to note a plateau of prices. Even the exceedingly rare guns or those with good stories and provenance aren't bringing what one might predict. The same is starting to occur with DA revolvers of all types.

Basically, my point is, your gun isn't likely to increase significantly in collector value in the near term and thus any value lost from shooting will likely be miniscule compared to the enjoyment you get from it.

For an $1000 investment, how much anual interest can you get in the US financial institutions?

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    It's a no lock Model 29, it will always be valuable, that value will stay at minimum stable as long as you don't beat the thing to death (i.e., wear all of the finish off it, drop it, let it rust, etc).

The flipside is, by virtue of being a 29- as opposed to a no-dash 29, means it will never be the most collectible gun. This means that you aren't going to wake up one morning and find your gun worth 10k (well it's unlikely, let's put it that way). So, even in mint condition the value is unlikely to rise significantly (percentage wise) over time.

I might be in the minority, but my expectation is that revolver prices (collector grade guns) will level out significantly over the next few years and may even drop some. They have already leveled off compared to where they were five years ago. I've been watching single action Colts for awhile now and have started to note a plateau of prices. Even the exceedingly rare guns or those with good stories and provenance aren't bringing what one might predict. The same is starting to occur with DA revolvers of all types.

Basically, my point is, your gun isn't likely to increase significantly in collector value in the near term and thus any value lost from shooting will likely be miniscule compared to the enjoyment you get from it.
    Thank you and everyone else for the great responses. Much appreciated. Time to hit the range then. Tonight ill just hang with it on the couch watching a dirty harry movie.

Thanks again

Site Supporter
    I have basically the .41 mag version of that gun. It's stupid fun to shoot, but there's definitely a turn line.

It'll easily put me on a paper plate at 50 yards and I'm not really even that good a shot.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

A knowledgeable collector will not be off-put by a S&W with a fine turn-line, they'll be off-put by one without a turn line.

Why?

Because S&W lockwork by design creates a turn-line and those actions get run quite a bit before leaving the factory; that is, turn-lines are factory supplied. Depending upon fitting and use, some are more pronounced, some less, but all will have them and they can't be tuned out -- again, it's part of the design, for reliability, for the cylinder stop to contact the cylinder early before dropping in the notch.

No turn line at all? As in zero? Most collector's will assume an undisclosed refinish if one isn't declared, and a refinish hits value a lot harder than a known, common, and unavoidable feature of the gun's action.

There's no way to "repair" it short of a refinish. Don't do that if you consider this an investment. Usually, based on variations in fitting, the turn line will self-limit, but if you don't want to take any chances, simply don't shoot, dry-fire or handle the gun anymore.

Then decide if a safe-queen is worth the space it takes.
    Hain’t we got all the fools in town on our side? And ain’t that a big enough majority in any town?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by dbmmorin View Post
    Thank you and everyone else for the great responses. Much appreciated. Time to hit the range then. Tonight ill just hang with it on the couch watching a dirty harry movie.

Thanks again
    A ship is safe in port but it's not what its made for.

Site Supporter
    Turn lines are way down on the list of detractions. I consider them insignificant. Pitted surfaces, marred screws, sideplates with damaged edges from prying, wallowed out screw holes, flattened knurling on extractor rods from pliers, and deep scratches and dings are cosmetic examples of abuse. They can vary from very slightly minor to stupidly severe. One or all can be present. A tell tale sign of amateur tinkering is an action whose double and single action pulls are too light. This is easily remedied, usually by screwing in a loosened strain screw and/or replacing the rebound spring.

On collectible handguns, one fact has remained universally true. Honest wear is ok. To bring top dollar, though, requires pristine condition which is determined by that last few percent points between 95 and 99 percent.

Posters express concern about K frame fragility and throat erosion. Having owned many and shot them extensively and having "camped out" and studied informally on a large firing range run by factory trained armorers, I say that they are strong instruments made with excellent metallurgy. Their design is proven. I contend that they are robust. Buy two and shoot the pair for the rest of your life.

I think it will be a long time before 29-3's appreciate in value to the point where not shooting them to preserve their value would make sense.

Quote Originally Posted by TiroFijo View Post
    For an $1000 investment, how much anual interest can you get in the US financial institutions?
    Well, i didn't pay 1000 for it, I traded a used low end ar15 for it.

Its settled. Not gonna worry about it.
    Last edited by dbmmorin; 03-08-2019 at 06:36 PM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by dbmmorin View Post
    Well, i didn't pay 1000 for it, I traded a used low end ar15 for it.
    You stole that gun.

Chris

User Tag List