Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: score in cylinder

score in cylinder

Hello everyone,
    I recently picked up a model 29-3 44 mag s&w with an 8 3/8 barrel. This gun is a 95 out of 100. Excellent condition.
    I have notices the cylinder is starting to develop a scratch line in it from when it rotates. It hardy had a scratch on it when i got it.
    Is there a way to prevent tat scratch from developing or a way to repair it.
    I notices the models that have had a lot of use have a distinct scratch all the way around the cylinder. I would like to avoid that.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by dbmmorin View Post
    Hello everyone,
    I recently picked up a model 29-3 44 mag s&w with an 8 3/8 barrel. This gun is a 95 out of 100. Excellent condition.
    I have notices the cylinder is starting to develop a scratch line in it from when it rotates. It hardy had a scratch on it when i got it.
    Is there a way to prevent tat scratch from developing or a way to repair it.
    I notices the models that have had a lot of use have a distinct scratch all the way around the cylinder. I would like to avoid that.
    Don't shoot it, don't rotate the action.

It's a "feature" of most S&W revolvers. The only way to avoid it is to have the action tuned to not raise the bolt until the slot is nearly in alignment. AFAIK, the only manufacturer to do this is/was Colt.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr View Post
    Don't shoot it, don't rotate the action.

It's a "feature" of most S&W revolvers. The only way to avoid it is to have the action tuned to not raise the bolt until the slot is nearly in alignment. AFAIK, the only manufacturer to do this is/was Colt.

Chris
    Well that kind of sucks. The gun was appraised at close to $1000.00 for insurance purposes. I assume that if a ring develops the value will drop a bit.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

It's most often called a "turn line".

Revolvers without turn lines are kind of like Hollywood Actors, fun to look at, but more or less useless in real life.

I think about revolver turn lines similar to how I think about the laugh lines at the corners of my wife's smile. They are beautiful signs of maturity and use that show the real character of the individual bearing them. They are badges of honor, that grow deeper and finer as life goes on. Eventually they hold steady, and when they're seen on a old(er) individual, you know they are a reflection of a life well lived.

Earn your turn line through shooting, love it for what it is, know it's a badge of honor.

Site Supporter
    I've got a few turn lines myself. Some are on my revolvers.

Site Supporter
    Well that kind of sucks. The gun was appraised at close to $1000.00 for insurance purposes. I assume that if a ring develops the value will drop a bit.
    Depends on how far out you're looking and who the prospective buyer is.

Twenty years from now and if the buyer is a shooter, not much at all (the gun will be worth more than the $1k insured value).
    One year from now and the buyer is an "investor", quite a bit probably.

If you're going to shoot the gun, then the value will be harmed just as much by the shooting. If you're not going to shoot it, then stop coon-fingering it and you'll be fine.

I don't know if a plastic box is correct for the 29-3. Seems it might be a bit early for plastic, but I may be wrong. The 29-3 ran from the early 80s to late 80s per my book. My S&W book says $950 for ANIB, but I assume that means you have the original box and all paperwork. That book is notoriously low value-wise, so $1k for your gun assuming 100% complete, is about right. However, that also means no firing, dry or otherwise.

Chris

Yeah, you've ruined it, but I'll give $500 for it today.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    Yeah, you've ruined it, but I'll give $500 for it today.
    Well, you might as well wait til I shoot it a couple more times and it will down to $300

Well, you might as well wait til I shoot it a couple more times and it will down to $300
    Shoot it long enough and your grandchildren can worry about the ring.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

dbmmorin, that's a magnificent specimen of the glory days of S&W you have.

But I would shoot the hell out of it. Inf fact, after reading this I had to fondle a couple of my nice old smiths and dry fire them...

User Tag List