View Poll Results: Modify old wheelies with new sights, or move on?

Voters
27. You may not vote on this poll
  • Start dovetailing those old K and J’s; they aren’t making any more like that

13 48.15%
  • Keep ‘em stock, and let others enjoy them; they aren’t making any more like that

9 33.33%
  • Mods here are only sort of shit

2 7.41%
  • Have you looked into edged weapons and saps, Mr. Magoo?

3 11.11%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Eyes, wheelies and sights: modify, or move on?

Eyes, wheelies and sights: modify, or move on?

Simple poll, really. As I’ve noted here before, my eyesight is pretty bad at this point. I have a decent number of revolvers—and I still really enjoy revolvers—that have traditional sights. Using my Reichard-tuned NY-1 K-frame as an example, I love everything about the gun except the stock sights. So, do I pony up the 3-4 bills it would take to ship and have a Sokol or a C&S mill in a big dot and open up the notch, or move it (and others) on to someone that can enjoy a connoisseur revolver in stock form, and look into more modern offerings (I am quite smitten by my night cobra, for example, and it has a big ass FS and trigger that works ok for me out of the box).

A straigtforward decision, but by no means simple. Just curious as to opinions from the P-F peanut gallery, as y’all have time and inclination to offer them up. Thanks in advance.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Instead of revolver surgery, is eye surgery an option? Lasik is the best money I've ever spent. The procedure where they put multi-focal lenses in your eyes fixes a lot of things RK and Lasik couldn't, or so I'm told. It's not an option on your poll but to my thinking the ability to see well without external aids is damn near priceless.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

The lack of adequate sights drove me away from revolvers, regardless of how useful they can be in certain environments. If I can’t see the sights, it has limited use FOR ME.

That’s part of the reason that a G42 replaced my 642 as a pocket gun. I don’t thinks there are any really good (easy) ways to get a high-vis front on most revolvers.

Everyone’s eyes are different, but @63, high-vis sight options definitely impact my pistol decisions.

Ship 'em to my FFL. I'll send you enough to pay for your eye surgery.

I'm in a not-dissimilar boat in regard to older-age vision issues.

The pertinent question for me is whether modifying J-frame and K-frame-size wheelguns by cutting front sight dovetails and/or perhaps even going so far as to even modify rear topstraps to accept larger rear sights, will improve my own ability to visualize the sight picture to a truly worthwhile degree, as compared, say, to some less expensive revolver sighting-aid modification (e.g., laser grips), or
    to opt instead for the many good high-visibility sight choices readily available with semiauto pistols.

IME, even the best-obtainable revolver sight picture choices are not quite on par with the best semiauto sight picture choices, not to mention that the gunsmithing expense involved in modifying fixed sight revolvers to accept new sights is considerable.

Accordingly, I've not had any of that sort of gunsmithing done to my own fixed sight revolvers, but have merely replaced stock pinned front sights with higher visibility choices on the several where that was an option, and gone with paint and Crimson Trace grips for others.

For my purposes the cost & trouble involved in doing revolver barrel and topstrap cutting hasn't been worth the result, since it does not improve the sight picture to a degree comparable to what can be had, much less expensively, with most semiauto pistols without any slide modifications.

Of course, I'm not limited to revolvers as my only sidearm platform.
    If for whatever reasons revolvers are one's preferred or only sidearm-type choice, then one ought to do whatever is necessary to make POI correspond to POA as closely as possible.
    "Therefore, since the world has still... Much good, but much less good than ill,
    And while the sun and moon endure, Luck's a chance, but trouble's sure,
    I'd face it as a wise man would, And train for ill and not for good." -- A.E. Housman

Is this just a problem with the traditional S&W sights milled into the topstrap?

Personally, I'm breaking in a Glock 43 to replace my 642 and sights are a major reason why. I do have a Crimson Trace on it and it does what it should. I have just really started to like the results I get with a certain Ameriglo combination on Glocks.

However, my Ruger Match Chamption with adjustable sights isn't going anywhere. Given ample light, the sight picture on it is quite good.

Rather than open up the existing sights, could they mill a shelf and install an adjustable rear? That notched rear blade might work wonders.

With regard to Lasik, I think my vision challenge is presbyopia. My understanding is Lasik can't correct that right now. I am fortunately still able to see good sights well enough.
    Last edited by Edster; 03-10-2019 at 09:28 PM.

I spent awhile purusing a 1935-edition Kings Sights Co. catalog a few days ago.

I lament that the options for revolver sights in 1935 was, with exception of actual tritium night sights, far and away superior to our current offerings. So much so, I find myself wanting to acquire as many versions of these old gunsights as possible to look at some form of replication in a limited context.

Until I can do that, though, I’m afraid we will be stuck with glue-on XS dots and CTC lasers.

For now, the brightest nail polish and CTC grips, gents.

Quick points, folks: one, I appreciate the advice telling me to look into further surgery (sort of). Rest assured that the docs and myself have already spent time hashing shit out.

Two, it’s not like there aren’t some decent wheelie sight options out there these days; they’re just on Colt and Kimber because S&W can’t be assed to upgrade the line to modern standards from 1950, with the current exception of the 640 pro—which still blows chimp compared to the other companies—especially Kimber, who at least gets that much right.

At any rate, back to whether it’s worth it to let the aftermarket bring these old S&W gals along... or cut and run for 21st-c. designs...
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

I say modify to suit your needs. Or pony up the $ for a night guard.

Name:  IMG_1494.jpg
Views: 242
Size:  39.6 KB Name:  IMG_1493.jpg
Views: 257
Size:  31.9 KB

Modify.

Be aware that some S&W revolver sights are pinned but the pin is almost invisible.

User Tag List