Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Return of the blunderbuss.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BillSWPA View Post
    I am well outside my lane on the subject of fighting with long guns in vehicles, but wouldn't the ability to easily swing it around be helpful even if it must then be extended to be safely used?
    I'm sitting in my patrol car right now (in a secured lot). I can't see how I could possibly swing one of these into my driver's side blind spot, which is a very likely avenue of approach for an ambush attempt on a parked patrol car. I'd be willing to learn if such a method exists, but I see zero way to either present it or have some semblance of aimed fire. I can, however, draw my pistol and fire aimed shots using as much of a Weaver stance as you can while seated. (Thanks @Mas for that tip).

When I was doing robbery stakeouts and doing the McPhee "stuffed down next to the console" thing, my pistol is my counter-ambush tool. The rifle is still carried empty chamber, as stakeouts gone wrong become pursuits, and I don't want a free float firing pin equipped weapon that's not particularly well secured in the passenger compartment of my vehicle if I crash. Some folks think this concern is overblown, and they may be right, but I know what my department policy and my gut says.

Most of us aren't doing executive protection and, unless you're driving a marked car, are unlikely to be targeted for assassination. You are more likely to be carjacked. Imagine a gunman at your window with a gun on you. HTF do you get to your snubby shotgun and swing it to your driver's side window before getting shot? You can't. If you comply and get out of the car, where's your snubby shotgun? Inaccessible.

A handgun, though, especially carried strong side is right near where you're reaching for your seat belt release. Additionally, you can start compliance by opening the door and starting to get out, then complete the draw and fire on your attacker. It's worked pretty well in real life in multiple attempts. Anyone who wants to show me how this snubby shotgun is going to work better (or at all), I'm going to need to see the video.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    I'm sitting in my patrol car right now (in a secured lot). I can't see how I could possibly swing one of these into my driver's side blind spot, which is a very likely avenue of approach for an ambush attempt on a parked patrol car. I'd be willing to learn if such a method exists, but I see zero way to either present it or have some semblance of aimed fire. I can, however, draw my pistol and fire aimed shots using as much of a Weaver stance as you can while seated. (Thanks @Mas for that tip).

When I was doing robbery stakeouts and doing the McPhee "stuffed down next to the console" thing, my pistol is my counter-ambush tool. The rifle is still carried empty chamber, as stakeouts gone wrong become pursuits, and I don't want a free float firing pin equipped weapon that's not particularly well secured in the passenger compartment of my vehicle if I crash. Some folks think this concern is overblown, and they may be right, but I know what my department policy and my gut says.

Most of us aren't doing executive protection and, unless you're driving a marked car, are unlikely to be targeted for assassination. You are more likely to be carjacked. Imagine a gunman at your window with a gun on you. HTF do you get to your snubby shotgun and swing it to your driver's side window before getting shot? You can't. If you comply and get out of the car, where's your snubby shotgun? Inaccessible.

A handgun, though, especially carried strong side is right near where you're reaching for your seat belt release. Additionally, you can start compliance by opening the door and starting to get out, then complete the draw and fire on your attacker. It's worked pretty well in real life in multiple attempts. Anyone who wants to show me how this snubby shotgun is going to work better (or at all), I'm going to need to see the video.
    Very good points.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

I do not currently drive around with my shockwave on my lap or in between my seat and the center console. It takes about 30 seconds to get out of the case behind the passenger seat. It is not my first line of defense my handgun is.

The shockwave is very easy to use in the car and to manuver.

The biggest benefit to the shockwave is it's compact size. It's easy to strap to a ruck and not have it get hung up. It's short length makes it very convenient while hunting through thickets you have to be on your hands and knees to get through. Just this past fall I was shimmiing through caves and climbing up rock faces and I remember being very happy that I brought my shockwave. My 16" .45 Colt m92 would probably be my next best choice.

The problem with the shockwave is that it's not as easy to shoot it as well as stocked shotguns. My solution was to shoot it more. The recoil management I learned from cases and cases of slugs has made me a much better stocked shotgun user as well.

I've posted tons of videos of me shooting from my car, at 3 gun competitions, doing drills, etc with my shocckwave. I am not as fast as someone with a stocked shotgun obviously but that's not why I use it. It's easier to store and it's easier to manuver in tight spots.

Would I have traded my 1014 in for a shockwave or even a tac-13 back in Fallujah? Fuck no. It's obviously not the best fighting shotgun.

User Tag List