Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Return of the blunderbuss.

Return of the blunderbuss.

A blunderbuss (roughly translated thunder pipe) was a short muzzle loading firearm of enormous bore diameter and short barrel length typified by a trumpet shaped muzzle. Some had stocks like a traditional musket, some were stockless like a large pistol and some had just a nub of a stock suitable only for tucking it under your arm. These were porously designed for use in close quarter combat aboard ships and by carriage drivers in defense against highwaymen.

The blunderbuss is all but forgotten. Practically nobody collects them. They abound in myth and misunderstanding. For example, they were not loaded with nails and broken glass (except by idiots) but with precisely measured amounts of powder and shot. The trumpet shape of the muzzle was not designed to spread the shot (which is impossible) but rather to act as a funnel to facilitate faster loading. The few that I have handled were all flintlocks and all had a bore diameter of around an inch and a quarter to an inch and a half, 125 to 150 caliber! Such a barrel could fire nine .45 caliber balls in one shot.

The closest thing we have now to the blunderbuss is the Mossberg Shockwave and the Remington Tac 14. These serve the same purpose. Even though they are of significantly smaller bore diameter, they hold multiple high velocity shells and unlike their flintlock predecessors, they don't malfunction approximately one out of seven shots.

Even though these short "firearms" are one of the hottest fads going, I don't think most buyers have the slightest idea how effective these short shotguns can be in confined spaces where you just can't have a full stocked shotgun such as inside the interior of your car, or packing it inside of a suitcase to get past the front desk of a motel without alarming the desk clerk.

I for one thought that they were gimmicks when they first came out but after using one I am totally sold. The point is that they are not the best shotgun that you can have, but they are the generally the ONLY shotgun that you can actually have with you.

Contrary opinions are certainly welcome.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tactical Black Belt View Post
    ...how effective these short shotguns can be in confined spaces where you just can't have a full stocked shotgun such as inside the interior of your car, or packing it inside of a suitcase to get past the front desk of a motel without alarming the desk clerk.
    What use does it have in the interior of a car that a traditional long gun doesn't? I've routinely used a stocked long gun in the interior of a car on stakeouts, including a full length M-16.

My 870 with folding Butler Creek stock would easily go in a duffle bag if I cared about the desk clerk's concerns.

I suspect The Wheels of Justification sell more of these then any real benefit over a shotgun with a stock. I'm sure they are fun, but for serious use I still think they are mostly gimmick.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    I suspect The Wheels of Justification sell more of these then any real benefit over a shotgun with a stock. I'm sure they are fun, but for serious use I still think they are mostly gimmick.
    Only two real advantages I can perceive with a Shockwave/Tac-14 -

1) It's the fastest way to build an SBS, once your tax stamp is in.

2) In states where transportation of a loaded long-arm is verboten it may be legal to transport a loaded 12-gauge firearm.

The latter component is why I also view AR15 pistols as more viable than originally thought, because an AR pistol can be covered by a concealed pistol permit as being legally allowed to be loaded and carried.

I don't think most buyers have the slightest idea how effective these short shotguns can be
    Maybe not, but there's a thread here somewhere with @Dagga Boy showing how to wield a V3 Tac-13.

What use does it have in the interior of a car that a traditional long gun doesn't? I've routinely used a stocked long gun in the interior of a car on stakeouts, including a full length M-16.

My 870 with folding Butler Creek stock would easily go in a duffle bag if I cared about the desk clerk's concerns.

Agree on car guns.

I can't tell you how many times I've pushed a luggage cart full of guns and ammo past hotel desks without getting a second look.

The Wheels of Nostalgia push me towards a hardwood Tac-14.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

When I set a long gun up for quick access inside the car, I do it like John McPhee shows in this video:

What use does it have in the interior of a car that a traditional long gun doesn't?
    The ability to turn from the left to the right windows.

In actual use the short length offers NO advantage over a traditional stocked shotgun. The advantage is gained in the fact that you can actually have the thing with you and that can make all the difference.

The ability to turn from the left to the right windows.
    In what circumstance? Keeping in mind the free float firing pin, how exactly do you suggest that it be kept at hand and ready to deploy?

I would love to hang one off my thigh like Mad Max.

I was ready to say "No, Just, NO" until I read this-
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Cunningham View Post
    I'm on for a group buy if it includes the holster!
    We wish to thank the United Network Command for Law and Enforcement, without whose assistance this program would not have been possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Cunningham View Post
    You'll shoot your foot off, kid.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

User Tag List