Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Your home defense plan and tactics?

Quote Originally Posted by GuanoLoco View Post
    Actually, up to a few years ago, bees really were part of the external security plan. Pretty much everything knows what bees are and recognizes beehives. Or quickly learns to. A couple of ‘Bee Crossing” signs plus a hive or 3 really cut down on the cross-traffic through the area of denial on one side of the house. A beehive positioned under a bedroom window will definitely dampen enthusiasm for attacking that access point.

It has dawned on me more than once that, in extremis, I head for the hives and pop off a top or even kick one over. I’m a beekeeper and I can deal with it (techniques + a built up tolerance) if I have to. I doubt there is a goblin on the planet prepared to deal with annoyed bees. And bees at night - well, don’t mess with bees at night - it’s a bad, bad idea.
    European bees, or African bees? (Actually, if not in a neighborhood, Africanized bees might be a option, though precautions would be necessary.)

Interesting. We have thought about setting up a beehive, or three; never considered the security aspect. This being a neighborhood, and with our dogs being present, we would have to use European bees.

The east side of the house is heavily planted with flowers that attract bees, butterflies, and hummingbirds, so, during much of the year, a daytime burglar would have to be comfortable with bees, to get close to the windows. A nearby nature center has at least one large hive, so there are plenty of bees.

Edited to add: Mexican Heather will attract plenty of bees. It blooms just about all year. It must be protected from hard freezes, but can be kept in pots, enabling it to be brought indoors for protection from periodic freezes.
    Last edited by Rex G; 03-07-2019 at 08:38 AM.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

Quote Originally Posted by Rex G View Post
    Interesting. We have thought about setting up a beehive, or three; never considered the secuity aspect.
    Not to derail further, but 3 is IMHO the minimum number of hives. Problems with one (you WILL have problems with at least one) can often be fixed by stealing resources from the other two.

My current house has frankly many 1st floor windors and doors - reducing the number of areas that need to be defended is useful. I also have a dog that should be useful in any such scenario. Fortunately he only barks when he perceives a potential threat.

Inside - let’s just say I have options depending on exact location and scenario. Options are good.
    Last edited by GuanoLoco; 03-07-2019 at 08:38 AM.
    Are you now, or have you ever been a member of the Doodie Project?

Quote Originally Posted by Gray01 View Post
    Avoidance is the plan.

Minimize associations (what some call "friends"). No skells, sketches, or miscellany, and only very select family members. Live a quiet life.

If I wanted friends I'd join a country club.
    As much as I'd like to string claymores in the trees, this is the best approach. Also be aware of contractors/repairmen. Use only reputable services and don't leave gun shit or the Rolex collection where they can see them.

If you live where climate and zoning will let you, a mix of wild grape and bougainvillea is natural barbed wire. We had some get overgrown on one side of the house it is impenetrable. My wife didn't like it, but I'd have it on the entire perimeter. With claymores wired together for the three click stopper.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    Also be aware of contractors/repairmen.
    Very true. A Doctor Gonzalez, who lived in the block east of us, was set-up for an armed home invasion by his ranch hand, several years ago. The attack occurred at his ranch, near Bellville, though the attackers were from the “Gulfton Ghetto” part of Houston, quite near our home city of Bellaire. (Bellaire is an independent city, quite nice, but is surrounded by Houston, including a very bad area, too close for comfort.

Dr. Gonzalez had a handgun, and did engage, bravely, which included hitting the treasonous ranch hand, but Doctor Gonzalez did not survive. He fought well enough to drive away the attackers, saving his wife and young child.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

Quote Originally Posted by NH Shooter View Post
    And a backhoe.
    I have friends who are excavation contractors and pig farmers
    Last edited by Alpha Sierra; 03-09-2019 at 09:47 AM.

Last edited by NH Shooter; 03-09-2019 at 10:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tactical Black Belt View Post
    So you have your firearm by the bed stoked with your favorite load and your wife is ready to call the police. But what other plans have you made to defend your home and what preparations have you taken to lessen the chances of having to do so?
    Laziest burglar ever

User Tag List