Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Good Article by Tam (technical discussion about article content)

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NH Shooter View Post
    Perhaps yet another (obvious) point to add to the discussion is that discreetly drawing from AIWB is far easier than having to reach behind the hip. Observing the arm moving to draw from a behind-the-hip location is not easy to miss.
    Depends on the context. For me, there's no difference in the beginning motions of drawing from strong side vs compliance of reaching for my wallet. I've demonstrated with a blue gun multiple times that it's very difficult to tell if my hand is on my wallet or has established a firing grip. Being marched into the back of the store with a gunman behind you? AIWB is much easier to conceal.

I also suspect, but can't prove, crooks are more leery of guns going toward the center line because that's where they and their thug buddies often carry. See: various headlines of people shooting themselves in the crank due to their holster-less appendix carry. The only valuables people ever crotch carry is firearms or dope they don't want cops finding.

In the context of disguised draws vs a drawn gun, strong side carry and pocket carry have done very well in the real world so what ever giveaways are being telegraphed aren't being picked up on by the bad guys.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

First I've ever heard anyone here infer that AWIB less discreet to draw from than from behind the hip.

Unless of course you walk around with your hands in your back pockets.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    Depends on the context. For me, there's no difference in the beginning motions of drawing from strong side vs compliance of reaching for my wallet.
    Agreed. If the BG is pointing the gun in my face, the feint of "reaching for the wallet" may very well be the best bet. In all honesty, if the BD has the drop on me to that extent, it probably won't make much difference.

If on the other hand I'm just one of many in the BG's FOV, AWIB would be where I believe the most covert draw could be made from.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Sierra View Post
    ...Arm motion is arm motion. Peripheral vision is pretty damned good at noticing it, that's what it's for. I think how slowly you do it is more important than where/what you move.

And if you need to feint the draw under the pretext of reaching for a wallet/money/keys/whatever, reaching towards your junk will draw a lot more attention and suspicion compared to reaching towards your waist between the arm and back pocket.
    Good point.

For an AIWB draw, I suppose you could say "I'm reaching for my money belt...down here..."
    "Therefore, since the world has still... Much good, but much less good than ill,
    And while the sun and moon endure, Luck's a chance, but trouble's sure,
    I'd face it as a wise man would, And train for ill and not for good." -- A.E. Housman

First I've ever heard anyone here infer that AWIB less discreet to draw from than from behind the hip.

Unless of course you walk around with your hands in your back pockets.
    I didn't say that a draw from AIWB is less discreet than from behind the hip. I said it is no better, unless of course you walk around with your hands inside your zipper......

If the BG's gun is in my face and I feel my survival depends on shooting them first, I already know I'm faster on-target from AWIB.

In that case I also know my survival will require lateral movement and perhaps use of my support arm to deflect their weapon (if within arm's reach). William Aprill's instruction on disarming the opponent (as well as Southnarc's MUK hand gestures) also depends on keeping the hands in front, which is in much closer proximity to AWIB.

Within an arm's-length distance assault, I'd rather keep my hands in front of me. I can just as easily pivot to create distance between the BG and my weapon carrying AWIB. Besides, I don't carry my wallet in a rear pocket.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Agreed. If the BG is pointing the gun in my face, the feint of "reaching for the wallet" may very well be the best bet. In all honesty, if the BD has the drop on me to that extent, it probably won't make much difference.
    Assuming a one-on-one encounter, a disguised draw after feigned compliance has a *very* high success rate in the statistics I've kept. Bad guys get complacent, too, and while it's probably your first robbery it isn't his. They don't want to kill you, as it draws more attention, has higher penalties, leaves more evidence, etc. They might kill you if they have to, but that's not their goal. It's also why pocket carry has such a good record in my stats. Almost no robbers pat their victim down, and most that do conduct the pat down after the victim hasn't given them anything of value or they suspect the victim is holding out and are satisfied they aren't fighting back. They maintain that slight standoff and make you go in your own pockets. Drawing looks exactly like compliance.

So, in the context of a street robbery I think it makes a lot of difference.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Quote Originally Posted by SAWBONES View Post
    For an AIWB draw, I suppose you could say "I'm reaching for my money belt...down here..."
    Is that a money belt down there or are you just happy to see me?

Watch ASP channel (for example) and you'll see footage where AIWB probably helped the good guy win, you'll see footage where behind the hip probably helped him win, then you'll see footage where all that mattered is the good guy had a gun. You can't definitively say one way is better than the other. It's all about what works for you and what's going on at that moment when T-Bone decides he wants your junk.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    Assuming a one-on-one encounter, a disguised draw after feigned compliance has a *very* high success rate in the statistics I've kept.
    That's good and useful info, thanks. I would have to think success also requires the decision to use deadly force from the get-go: the draw and trigger pull programmed as one, because you only get one chance to pull it off.

Banned
    I don't think I've ever seen a bad article by her.

User Tag List