Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Security Six

CWM11B
    I'd buy it. Give me the shop's number and I'll consider a transfer. Years ago, I bought two security six .357s new, one four inch and one 2.5. Sold them in the mid 90s and regret it to this day. A couple of years ago, my former agency had one of those idiotic gun buyback deals, and I had to take the guns in. The overwhelming majority were absolute junk, but we had several pieces come in that made me want to cry. One lady brought in a blued steel snubby speed six. In the box. With the little yellow plastic ring in the cylinder it shipped with. UNFIRED. I was about to make her a meet me at the gunshop for a transfer offer, but my douchebag boss happened by. The lady took her 75 bucks and went off happy as a clam. That gun is sitting in the bowels of the property room, box discarded, awaiting destruction. I hate people

Quote Originally Posted by jtcarm View Post
    If you want it, I’d buy it.

You’ve got to be pretty special to screw up an SS.
    True confession:

I bought a SS new, most likely 1978-79. Took it to the range, brought it home and disassembled to clean, including taking the trigger guard and mechanism out of the frame. I may not be using the right words but hopefully its understandable. Reassembly was challenging for my 19 -20 year old bull in a china shop technique and something important broke. The only possible explanation is I have got the one defective SS ever made. A quick trip to a local gunsmith and it was good as new.

Site Supporter
    Who would you use as a gunsmith? I was looking at Karl Sokol if I bought it.

Would have it reblued, converted to DAO and a reliability package done to it.

I can’t decide between this and a new 92 compact for 450 I’m looking at. Ahhhhh decisions!
    Last edited by TheNewbie; 03-07-2019 at 02:03 PM.

Site Supporter
    I have several speed sixes and 2 security sixes.
    They are great revolvers. I have one prefix 150 4 inch that someone put a spray finish on.
    What to send that one off and have it refinished. Does Robar work on these?
    Last edited by Whirlwind06; 03-09-2019 at 09:13 AM.

Site Supporter
    I went ahead and picked it up. 300 + tax.

Now who should I look at to send it to in order to refinish and check reliability. The trigger is good enough as is.

The serial number starts with 159, so that should help with grips. The Pachmayr grips on it are a tad big, any grip suggestions?

Any ammo recommendations? It's a 4 inch edition.
    Last edited by TheNewbie; 03-09-2019 at 04:09 PM.

Site Supporter
    158 grain has always been a good round for me.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
    I went ahead and picked it up. 300 + tax.

Now who should I look at to send it to in order to refinish and check reliability. The trigger is good enough as is.

The serial number starts with 159, so that should help with grips. The Pachmayr grips on it are a tad big, any grip suggestions?

Any ammo recommendations? It's a 4 inch edition.
    PM sent.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
    Who would you use as a gunsmith? I was looking at Karl Sokol if I bought it.

Would have it reblued, converted to DAO and a reliability package done to it.

I can’t decide between this and a new 92 compact for 450 I’m looking at. Ahhhhh decisions!
    It's not a 1911, you don't have to pay a gunsmith just to get it to work.

+1 to the recommendation for 158-grain ammo, in .357 and/or .38.

Going through the list I gave you on Post #11 should be a sufficient reliability check, especially since you've already attested to the quality of the triggerpull. You should easily be able to perform them yourself.

I prefer 125 gr .38 Special +P for all-around use; I use UMC's 100 Round Value Pack for practice and matches, and Remington's Golden Saber 124 gr +P .38 Special for carry; that way my sight adjustments and POA/POI are the same (and semi-permanent).

For .357 magnum use, I'd strongly suggest 158 gr as others have; 125 gr .357 magnums can be a bit abusive on - Six frames, especially with heavy/protracted use-they're best left for use in GP100s.

Best, Jon

For ammo, the 145 gr Silvertip is highly regarded. I picked up some 125 gr Golden Saber .357 a while ago and find it pretty mild shooting, sort of a .357 minus P.

While I think you could shoot full house 125 gr magnums all day every day and not wear the thing out, it would not be fun and the legendary effectiveness of that round may be due to the blast and flash demoralizing the opponent.

Modern 38 plus P may work as well, especially in a 4” and is much easier to shoot after the first shot.

User Tag List