Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: Security Six

Y'all are giving me a heartache. A few years ago I found and paid $275 for a nice 151 series Service Six. I was wanting to make it into a bigger something of this nabbed internet pic.

Name:  SpeedSix1.jpg
Views: 688
Size:  97.5 KB

Called Ruger and talked to them about replacing the 4" barrel with a 2.75" (I would've handled the action work myself afterward). They told me they did have a sum total of two new 2.75" barrels in stock, but unless my barrel was unserviceable they wouldn't change it. Even though I was going to pay for the new barrel and service for replacement! Reason being they wanted those barrels to service guns that were no longer working. I figured at that time it wasn't worth the outlay in cash to send it to Camerons for a full custom. I was maybe right, but damned if it wouldn't have been sweet.
    Last edited by Spartan1980; 04-07-2019 at 07:40 PM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Spartan1980 View Post
    Y'all are giving me a heartache. A few years ago I found and paid $275 for a nice 151 series Service Six. I was wanting to make it into a bigger something of this nabbed internet pic.

Called Ruger and talked to them about replacing the 4" barrel with a 2.75" (I would've handled the action work myself afterward). They told me they did have a sum total of two new 2.75" barrels in stock, but unless my barrel was unserviceable they wouldn't change it. Even though I was going to pay for the new barrel and service for replacement! Reason being they wanted those barrels to service guns that were no longer working. I figured at that time it wasn't worth the outlay in cash to send it to Camerons for a full custom. I was maybe right, but damned if it wouldn't have been sweet.

How long ago did you talk to Ruger?

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan1980 View Post

Beautiful grips...

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
    How long ago did you talk to Ruger?
    It's been several years.

Site Supporter
    What are some signs that your revolver is out of time ?

Site Supporter
    When cocking the hammer slowly, lock up does not occur by hand turning cylinder until stop enters notch. Ditto for double action.

Site Supporter
    I contacted Rick Deviod today. After speaking with him, I am going to send one of the revolvers in for a once over by him and a DAO job.

His prices seem very reasonable.

http://www.tarnhelm.com/services/services.html

Please let us know how that turns out. I looked at that price list, and there's an item I'd very much like to have done on one of my revolvers.
    Ordinary guy

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennessee Jed View Post
    Please let us know how that turns out. I looked at that price list, and there's an item I'd very much like to have done on one of my revolvers.
    Will do! He was very friendly and easy to talk to.

Took delivery of and installed a set of Custom Wood Inc. walnut target stocks for a buddy's 4" Security Six. Just spent some time with about 54 rounds assorted magum and special. It's not a masterpiece of balance, action, and proportion like a K-38 series Smith but is an absolute peach of a Magnum working gun.

If Ruger had rounded the face of the trigger and had a bit more neutral balance rather than so nose-heavy, it would have been perfect. As it is, I merely prefer it to the GP100 by a fair margin for the weight, better balance, and smoother trigger. I know they'll never make them again and I wouldn't necessarily want them to. I do want to find a short barreled Speed Six to round the trigger, install Pachmayr Compac stocks, and shoot the dickens out of the bugger.

And no, I don't want to return it to the rightful owner.

User Tag List