Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Security Six

Site Supporter

Security Six

There is a Security Six at the local range that is being sold for $300. The finish is rough, but it seems to be shoot very little. The trigger is excellent.

Can a Security Six be sent to a gunsmith to be worked on if something breaks? From what I read, parts are hard to find.

Site Supporter
    Ruger no longer supports these. Parts are found by chance.

Site Supporter
    It would require gunsmith support, as you suppose. A GP100 would be supported by the factory.

Site Supporter
    Thanks for the response. I loved the balance of the gun, and the trigger. I wouldn’t mind using a gunsmith, but not sure it’s a real viable option as a shooter.
    Last edited by TheNewbie; 03-06-2019 at 01:48 PM.

They're incredibly durable, reliable accurate and well-built. They're also very easy to maintain, as they're designed to be easy to field-strip and re-assemble. To quote Jerry Kuhnhausen, "the fact (is) that not much goes wrong with Six-Series revolvers." My personal experience with my personal 1978-vintage Stainless Security Six mirrors this; I've had exactly one part break in my ownership (since around 2003 or so)-the trigger return spring. Ironically, it broke within 10 minutes of dry-firing after it was returned to me after a thorough (and free, other than shipping) Ruger inspection and service (back when Ruger was fully supporting them); Ruger immediately provided me with a return shipping label, replaced the trigger return spring, and thoroughly went through the entire revolver stem-to-stern again. And the trigger return spring (and other key -Six springs) are currently supported by Wolff Gunsprings, if that's of any residual concerns.

Absolutely nothing else has broken in the subsequent 16 years, which has included moderate firing (usually 1-3 IDPA matches a year, and a moderately heavy dryfiring protocol during the IDPA match months). The only subsequent work I've had performed on mine were to have the chamber charge hole edges chamfered, and a couple of chambers burnished.

Ideally (at least for most), the one you're looking at is a 151- or later serial sequence; the 150-sequence Security Sixes had a more slanted backstrap/backstrap tang, and replacement/aftermarket grip selections are pretty scarce.

A Security Six trigger is capable of being a bit more finely tuned than that of a GP100 (and my GP100 has been professionally tuned and set up by an exceptionally knowledgeable and experienced Ruger gunsmith-the Security Six has the better trigger between the two).

If you get it, I strongly recommend Jerry Kuhnhausen's "The Ruger Double Action Revolvers A Shop Manual Vol. 1."

$300 sounds like a reasonable price; in the past several years, the market has gradually woken up regarding the intrinsic value of these revolvers, and the prices have tended to rise from the $300s to the $500s. If it's stainless, you can easily polish the exterior with Mother's Magwheel Polish; if blued, just get it professionally re-blued, Cerakoted, etc. if desired.

Best, Jon
    Last edited by JonInWA; 03-06-2019 at 01:46 PM.

If you want it, I’d buy it.

You’ve got to be pretty special to screw up an SS.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JonInWA View Post
    They're incredibly durable, reliable accurate and well-built. They're also very easy to maintain, as they're designed to be easy to field-strip and re-assemble. To quote Jerry Kuhnhausen, "the fact (is) that not much goes wrong with Six-Series revolvers." My personal experience with my personal 1978-vintage Stainless Security Six mirrors this; I've had exactly one part break in my ownership (since around 2003 or so)-the trigger return spring. Ironically, it broke within 10 minutes of dry-firing after it was returned to me after a thorough (and free, other than shipping) Ruger inspection and service (back when Ruger was fully supporting them); Ruger immediately provided me with a return shipping label, replaced the trigger return spring, and thoroughly went through the entire revolver stem-to-stern again. And the trigger return spring (and other key -Six springs) are currently supported by Wolff Gunsprings, if that's of any residual concerns.

Absolutely nothing else has broken in the subsequent 16 years, which has included moderate firing (usually 1-3 IDPA matches a year, and a moderately heavy dryfiring protocol during the IDPA match months). The only subsequent work I've had performed on mine were to have the chamber charge hole edges chamfered, and a couple of chambers burnished.

Ideally (at least for most), the one you're looking at is a 151- or later serial sequence; the 150-sequence Security Sixes had a more slanted backstrap/backstrap tang, and replacement/aftermarket grip selections are pretty scarce.

A Security Six trigger is capable of being a bit more finely tuned than that of a GP100 (and my GP100 has been professionally tuned and set up by an exceptionally knowledgeable and experienced Ruger gunsmith-the Security Six has the better trigger between the two).

If you get it, I strongly recommend Jerry Kuhnhausen's "The Ruger Double Action Revolvers A Shop Manual Vol. 1."

$300 sounds like a reasonable price; in the past several years, the market has gradually woken up regarding the intrinsic value of these revolvers, and the prices have tended to rise from the $300s to the $500s. If it's stainless, you can easily polish the exterior with Mother's Magwheel Polish; if blued, just get it professionally re-blued, Cerakoted, etc. if desired.

Best, Jon

Thank you so much!

Like I say it looked good, other than the blue finish severely wearing off, and some rust on the rear sight.

Of course a GP100 costs more but would be factory supported, and I would probably send the Six off for work. I just like the weight and balance of this gun so much. Wish Ruger still made them.
    Last edited by TheNewbie; 03-06-2019 at 01:56 PM.

Check with Ruger, but I'm pretty sure that the Security Six's adjustable rear sight is the same one used on contemporary GP100s and Blackhawks; if so, if you can't easily clean up the rust, it's easily replaced. Otherwise, Bowen Classic Arms has a replacement sight.

And from what I've anecdotally heard/read, initial QC on vintage -Six revolvers and older GP100s was much better than what seems to be found with some regularity on the newer/contemporary GP100s. So a newer GP may well have a greater need for aftermarket support than some of the older Ruger -Sixes and GP100s...Just sayin'....

Best, Jon
    Last edited by JonInWA; 03-06-2019 at 02:24 PM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JonInWA View Post
    Check with Ruger, but I'm pretty sure that the Security Six's adjustable rear sight is the same one used on contemporary GP100s and Blackhawks; if so, if you can't easily clean up the rust, it's easily replaced. Otherwise, Bowen Classic Arms has a replacement sight.

And from what I've anecdotally heard/read, initial QC on vintage -Six revolvers and older GP100s was much better than what seems to be found with some regularity on the newer/contemporary GP100s. So a newer GP may well have a greater need for aftermarket support than some of the older Ruger -Sixes and GP100s...Just sayin'....

Best, Jon

I hate to keep bugging you but, would the finish wearing off concern you? What else (and how) would you check for? I’m not sure how to check for end shake or timing.

I may swing back by and pick it up before work.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
    There is a Security Six at the local range that is being sold for $300. The finish is rough, but it seems to be shoot very little. The trigger is excellent.

Can a Security Six be sent to a gunsmith to be worked on if something breaks? From what I read, parts are hard to find.
    $150 more will buy one in excellent or like new condition. These fine revolvers are by no means rare. Oddly, even though they have always been highly thought of, they did not become sought after until the last few years. I suspect that if the finish is rough, then the gun has seen a good bit of use. My concern would be whether or not Bubba had worked on it. Offer the dealer $250 out the door. He has no more than $150 in it. Today my dealer offered me a stainless 4 inch GP100 for $350 plus tax. He received it on trade yesterday. Condition is 96%. I passed. Why? Bubba had beat me to it. In 30 seconds I can determine yes or no about Bubba. I did not share the information with the dealer. He has zero revolver knowledge and wishes not to learn.

User Tag List