Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Range Etiquette

Question Range Etiquette

I was at the range today and a youngster (16-17) asked if he could try my glock. I said OK but later wondered if maybe it was unwise. Is there range etiquette for this sort of request or did I just get spotted as a soft touch.

I'm not Chatty Cathy but I will say hi to folks at the range, introduce myself and ask them what kind of shooting they are doing (range, etc.) so I don't interfere with them. I try to tailor what I'm doing so we are on the same sheet. That will usually get a little conversation going.

Unless they were setting off alarm bells I'm always open to letting folks try my toys. Unless it's someone I know well who has a gun I've never tried I don't ask to shoot a person's gun but it is cool with me if someone wants to try one of mine out. Especially with newer shooters I try to be very open and welcoming as long as I can still get some focused training in.

ETA - With a teenager I would make sure it was OK with their adult and still stay right on them to control unsafe behavior. How closely I "guard" an adult would depend on their competence.

Quote Originally Posted by Lomshek View Post
    I'm not Chatty Cathy but I will say hi to folks at the range, introduce myself and ask them what kind of shooting they are doing (range, etc.) so I don't interfere with them. I try to tailor what I'm doing so we are on the same sheet. That will usually get a little conversation going.

Unless they were setting off alarm bells I'm always open to letting folks try my toys. Unless it's someone I know well who has a gun I've never tried I don't ask to shoot a person's gun but it is cool with me if someone wants to try one of mine out. Especially with newer shooters I try to be very open and welcoming as long as I can still get some focused training in.

ETA - With a teenager I would make sure it was OK with their adult and still stay right on them to control unsafe behavior. How closely I "guard" an adult would depend on their competence.
    Well that's cool then. I showed him how to hold the gun and was VERY vigilant. It was quite quiet on the range and, at the time , I was the only guy with a handgun. I'm a newb myself and just wasn't sure if this was unusual or not. Anyway the young feller sure got a kick out of it.

Sounds within the realm of reason to me.

I always feel awkward when other people offer to let me shoot their weapons, and almost never solicit the service, but I don't have a fundamental problem with it. It feels a lot like the "kiss kiss" greeting I had so-much trouble getting used to in France...Shooting another man/woman's gun is a level of friendliness I prefer to reserve for friends and family.

Shooting another man/woman's gun is a level of friendliness I prefer to reserve for friends and family.
    That's unusual around here. I have long ago lost count of how many folks I've encouraged to shoot my firearms, especially kids and ladies. My thought is that the more new folks we get shooting evil black rifles and firearms in general, the better off we (as a whole) are. Demystifying goes a long way to getting Suzy Soccer Mom on our side come election time.

Granted the range I normally attend is a members only club (but I don't know many of the members as I rarely attend monthly meetings) .....

However, I always introduce myself upon arrival on the range. Part of my introduction is something to the effect of, "help yourself to anything I have on the bench."

Who knows? They might have something cooler than my stuff that I might want to try.

My personal rule is I don't ask to shoot anyone's gun, but if they offer after some conversation or inquiry I politely accept. Familiarization with a wide array of firearms is never a bad thing. I'm also hesitant to let folks shoot my hand loads (not that I feel they are unsafe), but liability risk should be minimized.

I also prefer to use my own factory ammo if it is convenient rather than shooting up theirs or at least limit it to one mag or less of theirs.

As far as allowing others who inquire in shooting mine, I'm fine with it if I can supervise and they don't shoot it all day long with my ammo.
    I've found most firearms enthusiasts to be some of the most generous and sharing people you can be around.

Within reason, I'm fine letting people shoot my guns. I see 10-15 rounds as a cheap price to pay for what could be an excellent friendship.

Also, as someone stated above, if I have factory ammo, and it works in their gun, I'll use my stuff if they are ok with it. A couple days ago, I wanted to try an SBR that belonged to a friend, and while I know he would have been fine letting me shoot his ammo, I chose to use my magazine in his gun. Courtesy thing.
    Nobody is impressed by what you can't do. -THJ

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Gun folk aren't exactly as common as they should be so I am always very cordial. I would have no issues letting somebody put a few magazines through my pistol if they were interested in doing so and I had no immediate reason to believe they were unsafe. For a younger individual I would check with the parent/guardian that was supervising them.

Site Supporter
    Sometimes you have to judge a book by its cover. I enjoy letting others shoot any firearm I have if it means they will get something out of it. I would rather let a mature 16 or 17 year old shoot my gun than an immature 35 year old. Like Nephrology, I would check with the parent or guardian first.

User Tag List