Thread: Understanding Concept of Shooting "Drills" in terms of BJJ

Understanding Concept of Shooting "Drills" in terms of BJJ

The term "drills" has always confused me. In BJJ, classes usually work where you (a) learn a technique (b) drill a technique consensually with a partner who lets you do it and then (c) drill a technique non-consensually against resistance (d) rolling which is competitive.

The term "drill" in shooting never made sense to me in the BJJ framework because it seems like we use the term drill to mean a test. I can see that the target and timer are the competitive partner.

The best I can come up with is, that I take a shooting "drill" that's meant to be shot at X yards in Y seconds. Then I eliminate the time cap, and I shorten the distance. That's like consensually drilling a BJJ technique. The other person lets you do it. In this case the timer and the shorter distance to target "let" you do it. It's still possible to fail at consensual BJJ drilling if you're doing it wrong. And the untimed 3 yard target will show if you're failing at basic shooting technique.

Then gradually add an extended time constraint and make distance a little longer is like the non-consensual BJJ drilling against resistance.

And the actual drill using shortened time and increased distance is like rolling.

Do I have this right?

Smoke Bomb / Ninja Vanish Chance's Avatar
    A shooting drill is a framework for you to exercise a particular technique, be that weapon manipulation, rounds fired, et cetera. If you enforce time, accuracy, and distance standards in a shooting drill, then it becomes an assessment.

When people allow you to perform a technique in jits, you're getting in repetitions. Repetitions is how you develop proficiency. Once a baseline of proficiency is establish, you start adding degrees of stress to identify weak points in your execution, which further develops your proficiency.

Same concept in shooting.
    "Sapiens dicit: 'Ignoscere divinum est, sed noli pretium plenum pro pizza sero allata solvere.'" - Michelangelo

User Tag List