Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Trouble brewing

Having worked with a dog rescue organization here in NH (of which only a very tiny percentage of the dogs rescued could be categorized as pit bull mixes), the greatest challenge we face is vetting the adopters and then educating them on responsible dog ownership. Even with mandatory classes before taking the dog, we have about a 5% return rate for various reasons, related to both the dog and the family that adopts it. The majority of those dogs can be re-homed, but some of them cannot.

The most prevalent attitude is that getting a new dog is like going to Best Buy and getting a new big screen. The new big screen is awesome, everyone loves it for a while, but then the novelty wears off. The same is true with the dog adoption, especially when the realization of the amount of work required becomes inescapable. But unlike a big screen, you can't simply turn off the dog and forget about it.

Dogs are lots of work. Raising kids (and keeping them safe) is lots of work. Combining the two more than doubles that work. Dogs must be taught appropriate behavior, but much more importantly, kids must be taught appropriate behavior around dogs and learn to recognize when a dog is not comfortable. This is what we see as the biggest challenge to successful integration into a family with young children.

For anyone with young children and a new dog at home, I highly recommend spending some time on this site - https://www.thefamilydog.com/stop-the-77/

The heartache and pain you might avoid within your own home is well worth the time spent.

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    I was mostly referring to this thread, but I've never heard anyone say that in my whole life, including those awful, terrible, "breed apologists". Geez, they're just the scum of the earth, those people....but I've never heard them deny that pitbulls are physically great at fighting.
    I'll see if I can dig up the Facebook post from our local page from last summer. It turned into a real slugfest in the comments so it may have been deleted. Cliff notes version, a lady posts about being at the dog park and someone showed up with a pit and let it off leash, which resulted in her dog getting chewed up. Lady who owned the pit happened to be on the FB group as well and chimed in that it was being blown out of proportion, that the other dog was no worse off than hers, and called it aggressive puppy play. The other lady posts pics of the dogs injuries, as well as the back of her Suburban which looked like a crime scene.

Quote Originally Posted by Sensei View Post
    See post #28 in this thread that has 5 likes.
    Good catch.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    Well, fuck it since this thread got kinda weird... What's everyone think about this possible new PF forum knife? @Tamara thinks highly of this brand. I'm ordering one of their knives, just not sure which one.

https://www.amazon.com/BESTECH-KNIVE...%2C131&sr=8-10

Attachment 35850
    I'm a dog lover but if the knife will work on a dog them I'm interested. Dogs are the primary reason I carry weapons.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    See post #28 in this thread that has 5 likes.
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    What is the basis for this opinion, and what are your qualifications?
    Is asking how someone knows something disagreeing with everything in the quoted post? Seems like kind of a reach to me.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    Well, fuck it since this thread got kinda weird... What's everyone think about this possible new PF forum knife?
    My Halloran pikal has enough orange for me.

Name:  Orange.jpg
Views: 315
Size:  29.5 KB
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Quote Originally Posted by 0ddl0t View Post
    But it does have to do with the breed. Pit bulls are:

1) more prone to violence than the average breed
    2) capable of doing more damage than the average breed

That doesn't mean you can't have a good pitbull (or rottweiler or doberman etc), but pitbulls, as a breed, are clearly more dangerous than golden retrievers or beagles. Nature AND nurture are at play here...
    Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    Is asking how someone knows something disagreeing with everything in the quoted post? Seems like kind of a reach to me.
    Most people don’t need to have the obvious empirically proven to them. Nor do they refer to commonly accepted facts as opinions.

Others need a randomized control trial before accepting that parachutes are a good idea when jumping out of a plane - all while being completely incapable of performing the simplest of Google searches on their own.

A few will play silly internet games by referring to commonly accepted facts as opinions, and then demanding references and credentials in an attempt to distract the conversation.
    I like my rifles like my women - short, light, fast, brown, and suppressed.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Sierra View Post
    There's no way anyone will convince me that pitbulls are, as a whole, no more volatile and aggressive than just about anything else out there.

I don't have any "qualifications" to say that, and I don't f-ing care. I don't want one ever near me or my family and there will be trouble for whoever doesn't respect that.
    I’m really curious about the bolded part of your statement. Since you’ve pretty well established that a Pit would not be in your home or on your property, are you referring to public places? It appears to me you’re implying you’d use violence against anyone with a Pit who goes near your family. I hope I’m wrong. Maybe you were just puffing out your chest with internet bravado. But if you will threaten or harm someone for getting close to you or your family in a place they can legally be... well I’d suggest you find the best criminal defense attorney in your area and put him or her on retainer.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Most people don’t need to have the obvious empirically proven to them. Nor do they refer to commonly accepted facts as opinions.

Others need a randomized control trial before accepting that parachutes are a good idea when jumping out of a plane - all while being completely incapable of performing the simplest of Google searches on their own.

A few will play silly internet games by referring to commonly accepted facts as opinions, and then demanding references and credentials in an attempt to distract the conversation.
    If you want to argue with (or about) Rob_S about his standards or proof or posting style, that'sthe subject of several Pvestifus entries, IIRC, and you'll hear nothing from me on the topic. That said, none of this equates to "I find it somewhat strange that people don't believe that a Pitbull is capable of inflicting much more bodily harm than most other breeds" being said in this thread anywhere, which is what was originally the topic of contention.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Thousands sign petition to save dog that chewed off child’s hand

Thousands sign petition to save dog that chewed off child’s hand

https://nypost.com/2019/03/06/thousa...f-childs-hand/

More than 110,000 people have signed an online petition to save a dog’s life after he bit off a four-year-old child’s hand in Utah.

The unnamed boy was attacked after sticking his hand — covered in a sock — through his neighbor’s fence when a husky named Bear sunk his teeth into it, thinking it was a toy.

Bear tore the child’s hand off, presumably ingesting the appendage.
    "To achieve any significant technological breakthrough, much Derp must be endured." -Rich@CCC
    "Your shotgun is running a bit frenetic, you should add some lavender to your lubricant, that should calm it down." -Aray, Oils and Lotions SME

Just because it's a pit doesn't make it a bad dog. I have seen this very same thing with all breeds of dogs. Powerful breeds need more training and exercise and discipline than other breeds. All to often when I hear of a pit attack its usually a dog that is chained up or stuck indoors all day. They need tons of exercise!

I also know exactly the kind of person that makes excuses for their dogs behavior, as if it is a human child. If you can't be the alpha and have the time and dedication it takes to train working breed dogs then find another more lazy breed of dog.

I have had 3 pits and 2 AB and none of them ever attacked anyone or snipped or bitten anyone, and all of them really enjoyed playing with children.

At the end of the day all domestic dogs are 99% wolf, there are always tell tale signs I've seen when a dog shows aggression. Most ppl are just not tuned into seeing the signs or think all animals, even apex predators are their best friends in the world and surely would never eat them.

User Tag List