Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Trouble brewing

Trouble brewing

My wife’s coworker is a highly educated teacher. She’s also a pit bull apologist. About four months ago, her family (husband, three boys, the oldest is 8) adopted a four year female pit bull that was “abandoned due to lack of funds to pay current bill” at some dog boarding kennel.

So far:

- the dog has “nipped the youngest kid because the kid bit the dog’s tail”.

- the dog bit the husband’s arm, tearing flesh and drawing blood. Excuse (I shit you not) is that the husband
    “startled” the dog

I don’t see anything good coming out of this dog adoption and I think that someone is gonna get hurt.
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    - the dog has “nipped the youngest kid
    Welp that would be the literal end of any dog in my household.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Sierra View Post
    Welp that would be the literal end of any dog in my household.
    Same here. Did that the day my wife’s Chow/Lab mix snapped at my daughter. For months before that, my Malinois had been tearing that dog up every time she got close to my daughter; we found out why that day and she got put down that day.

German Shepherd and Malinois, those work for me.
    Last edited by LittleLebowski; 03-04-2019 at 05:35 PM.
    #RESIST

Site Supporter
    Some dogs should just be destroyed. Too often no kill shelters try to match up abused dogs with new owners. A hard dog breed takes a responsible dedicated owner with no illusions. I had a wonderful pit that my neighbors kids used to tease. One day the pit got loose and saw said kids 100 yards away. A witness said the pit went after the kids like a cruise missile. I had the dog destroyed. I still get pissed when I think about it. I prefer bull terriers to pit bulls. Bull terrier breeders seem more responsible (and a lot more expensive)
    Last edited by Poconnor; 03-04-2019 at 05:39 PM.

We have a pit-mix in the house that was a rescue and for two years she’s been the sweetest snuggle monster ever. That being said, if she exhibited behavior akin to what you’re describing, she’d be gone. Regardless of breed, that dog is not compatible with that family and needs a different home.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not aimed at the OP, but to me this is kind of like being told (by the owner) the gun just went off.
    Taking a break from social media.

I'm continually surprised by how many pit bull owners-admirers are apparently essentially delusional about the violent proclivities of their favored breed, believing the dogs are "really gentle as lambs".
    "Therefore, since the world has still... Much good, but much less good than ill,
    And while the sun and moon endure, Luck's a chance, but trouble's sure,
    I'd face it as a wise man would, And train for ill and not for good." -- A.E. Housman

Some folks really just shouldn't own dogs.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

BTDT 1:

Fended one off of a supine male meter reader who was holding the head inches from his neck, while it was digging with its claws through his chest and abdomen, and the dog's pups were next to the man, lapping up his blood. It took 2 officers with snare poles; they could not control it even then, and so another officer and a .357 to the skull to put it down hard.

BTDT 2:

Arrived to find a toddler's warm torn-apart remains, hysterical parents, and pits still tearing at separated parts.

Trouble is a mild word for it.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    Some folks really just shouldn't own dogs.
    This.

In my experience bad dogs are a reflection of bad owners.

That said some dogs have tons of red flags all over the place. Being abandoned at a shelter/kennel is a good first flag. In my experience the breeds most likely to cause problems are pits and huskies with lazy/over-tolerant owners. I've seen this most in socializing situations with other dogs (i.e., dog parks).

And the owners are pretty much all the same. They are unable to control their dog with commands or physically. The other day, I had to jump into a dog fight at the park. It was started by this exceptionally verbal and aggressive Pit that had no business being in a dog park. The Pit was agitating one dog in particular and kept fixating and nipping at this other dog. Four times the Pit had to be separated, but the owner wouldn't take the Pit from the park. Finally, the dog that was being picked on had enough and attacked the Pit. I watched as the Pit's owner rushed in, she grabbed her dog, but was not strong enough to control it and the Pit bodily yanked her into the brawl. The owner of the other dog picked their dog up bodily and was trying to extract when the Pit turned and stayed on the other dog and its owner. I got there just quick enough to snatch the (rather small, 45-pound pitbull) by it's harness and yank it bodily off of its feet, away from the human and dog it was trying to attack. Then holding a snarling, snappy, squirming, pitbull, I carried the dog at arm's length about 30 feet to the gate of the park and told the owner to come leash her damn dog and take it home.

Frankly, if this had occurred in Texas, I might well have shot the damn thing. It was clearly an animal that does not need to be.

User Tag List