Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hunting and defense semiauto crossover

Hunting and defense semiauto crossover

I’m looking for the semiauto equivalent of an 870 Wingmaster with interchangeable 18-20” (defense) and 26” barrels (hunting). I know there are good defense and hunting semiautos, but is there one that does both with just a barrel change?

Thoughts, suggestions?

Thanks

A benelli m2 is the only thing that jumps to mind. Barrels run 450-500 though, so you'd be looking at ~1400 for the set.

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    I have a Remington 11-87P with an extra 30 inch barrel. I can covert back and forth in about 5-10 minutes. It’s been a real good combo for me.
    Last edited by Suvorov; 03-04-2019 at 03:01 PM.

I've been down this road with Benelli and at one point had an M1 with 28" VR and 18.5" rifle sighted barrels. Juice wasn't worth the sqeeze for me.

Not sure what kind of hunting you're talking about, but for me I found that a 21" VR barreled gun was the true answer to the do-all gun. I've hunted quail, chukkar, phesant and dove with this gun as well as shooting sporting clays. I've also shot 3gn with it. It currently sits loaded with 9 rounds (8 in the tube + 1 floating on the lifter) of LE1321B. All I do for hunting is unscrew the mag tube, swap back to factory spring and cap with short tube, leave out the GGG light mount, and adjust the choke (if needed. I killed all the upland birds with a cylinder choke in the gun).

Last edited by ASH556; 03-04-2019 at 03:17 PM.
    Food Court Apprentice
    Semper Paratus certified AR15 armorer

Quote Originally Posted by ASH556 View Post
    I've been down this road with Benelli and at one point had an M1 with 28" VR and 18.5" rifle sighted barrels. Juice wasn't worth the sqeeze for me.

Not sure what kind of hunting you're talking about, but for me I found that a 21" VR barreled gun was the true answer to the do-all gun. I've hunted quail, chukkar, phesant and dove with this gun as well as shooting sporting clays. I've also shot 3gn with it. It currently sits loaded with 9 rounds (8 in the tube + 1 floating on the lifter) of LE1321B. All I do for hunting is unscrew the mag tube, swap back to factory spring and cap with short tube, leave out the GGG light mount, and adjust the choke.....
    For me, shotgun hunting has been upland birds and ducks. Now I’m living in a shotgun only deer state, so I guess I need to expand that.

Great info and definitely something to think about.

Thanks

M1S90 and the 21" vent rib used to be my do everything...it was my USPSA 3-gun setup with the extended tube, put the factory magazine cap and spacer back for birds, factory cap without the spacer for all other hunting, back to USPSA setup for HD. I clamped some fiber optic front and rear sights onto the rib for slug use. Used relatively inexpensive Beretta chokes on mine. Had a Pattern Master choke for turkey and ducks. Only caveat is having to run heavy loads that make the M1 run.

Some flavor of a Benelli M2.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by fatdog View Post
    M1S90 and the 21" vent rib used to be my do everything...it was my USPSA 3-gun setup with the extended tube, put the factory magazine cap and spacer back for birds, factory cap without the spacer for all other hunting, back to USPSA setup for HD. I clamped some fiber optic front and rear sights onto the rib for slug use. Used relatively inexpensive Beretta chokes on mine. Had a Pattern Master choke for turkey and ducks. Only caveat is having to run heavy loads that make the M1 run.
    Agree with everything except the heavy loads part. My former M1’s and current M2 run 1-1/8 bulk target loads by the thousands. Never had a single malfunction except on my M1 SBS when I got it too heavy with a Surefire Forend and side saddle. Oddly my 18.5” ran fine with the same accessories.
    Food Court Apprentice
    Semper Paratus certified AR15 armorer

I have taken several thousand dove in Argentina with a 21" M1S90. It has also taken a LOT of coyote, fox, and bobcats over the years. I never felt handicapped by the 21" and green FO bead. I run an X-full chock for everything. In the field I think a RDS mounted low would work a lot better than the purist would like to admit.

Quote Originally Posted by LSP552 View Post
    For me, shotgun hunting has been upland birds and ducks. Now I’m living in a shotgun only deer state, so I guess I need to expand that.

Great info and definitely something to think about.

Thanks
    And since the season just ended I guess you have some time to figure it out.

Have you ever tried wingshooting or clay's with shorter defensive barrels?

20" barrels are about max for me. I'm not a good enough wingshooter to notice any improvements with longer barrels.Name:  2rejdpi.jpg
Views: 373
Size:  73.5 KBName:  b67b7b.jpg
Views: 357
Size:  73.1 KBName:  15o9svs.jpg
Views: 344
Size:  30.1 KBName:  KIMG0954.jpg
Views: 398
Size:  103.8 KB

I think a 1301 would cover all my bases when I decide to switch over to autos. Especially with a RDS.

User Tag List