Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hunting and defense semiauto crossover

Quote Originally Posted by LSP552 View Post
    For me, shotgun hunting has been upland birds and ducks. Now I’m living in a shotgun only deer state, so I guess I need to expand that.
    If you're not going to beat it to death, find an old 11-87 and some barrels on GB. If you want to shoot it a lot buy whatever Benelli you like. You can save half a fortune by buying choke tubes used.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Quote Originally Posted by scott View Post
    A benelli m2 is the only thing that jumps to mind. Barrels run 450-500 though, so you'd be looking at ~1400 for the set.

As somebody who went through the same quandary not long ago, the M2 is a great answer. It's what I picked up and I'm super happy with it. If memory serves, my M2 (26",Max-5 camo) was in the neighborhood of $1300. Benelliusa.com has replacement barrels, between 18.5" and 21" for $400-500. So, the OP would be looking at $1700+ for the set.

Then, you'll probably want a mag extension, follower, etc, etc.... It's a great gun, but the rabbit hole is real.

Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    If you're not going to beat it to death, find an old 11-87 and some barrels on GB. If you want to shoot it a lot buy whatever Benelli you like. You can save half a fortune by buying choke tubes used.
    I duck hunted for a couple of years with an 1187 SPS Camo but never really liked the fit. Sold it and moved on. It was reliable but I just never really liked it.

I’m leaning towards the Benelli. Of course, maybe I just need to sober up and not try to cram a two gun mission into a single gun....
    Last edited by LSP552; 03-06-2019 at 09:29 PM.

Of course, maybe I just need to sober up and not try to cram a two gun mission into a single gun....
    Now you're being sensible. For a while I had just one shotgun, an M1 with two barrels, but life is too short for just one.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

For me, shotgun hunting has been upland birds and ducks. Now I’m living in a shotgun only deer state, so I guess I need to expand that.

Great info and definitely something to think about.

Thanks
    Pick up a savage 220 and you won't be disappointed.

I’m leaning towards the Benelli. Of course, maybe I just need to sober up and not try to cram a two gun mission into a single gun....
    Lol, maybe that's why I've used my shockwave for squirrel, rabbit, pheasant, duck, deer, bear and the majority of my defensive firearm training time over the last year

Site Supporter
    Another option coming out is the Remington V3. I just saw that they were offering 18.5" barrels on their store. I haven't seen one of the 18.5" barrels in person yet, but I've liked the "musket length" V3 in the time I spent with one trying to break it (and my shoulder) over the course of several cases of 2 3/4" target and game loads and 3" turkey shells. Usually helps that Remington is running rebates more often than not anymore.
    Last edited by ragnar_d; 03-08-2019 at 07:55 AM.
    "If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur."
    Disclaimer: I have previously worked in the firearms industry as an engineer. Thoughts and opinions expressed here are mine alone and not those of my prior employers.

User Tag List