Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 816171819 LastLast

Thread: Red Dots, "way of the dinosaur"

Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    The Steiner P4XI continues to get positive reviews and may be one of the better deals currently for this type of optic. Price really seems too good to be true for the boxes this optic checks:

1: Daytime bright dot
    2: US Made (I assume more like US assembled?)
    3: Capped turrets
    4: Fairly simple and uncluttered reticle
    5: Lifetime warranty (3yr on electronics)
    6: Common battery
    7: Water resistant to 10m

Price online is right around $550 with Steiner showing an MSRP of $749.

Questions that remain:

1: Drop durability. I don't expect the thing to be Aimpoint durable but it would be nice to know that if it gets dropped from a reasonable height it'll still more or less function
    2: Battery life. Seems most of these LPVO's have some battery life issues. What's the runtime on this one?
    3: General longterm usage. Has anyone had adjustment turrets come loose? Glass fog up? Stuff like that

https://www.steiner-optics.com/riflescopes/p4xi-1-4x24
    Cameraland has these for $499/$579 with mount. I have not used one, but I have the 4-16 and it is a great scope.

https://cameralandny.com/shop?query=5202
    Last edited by Trigger; 12-13-2019 at 07:17 AM.
    "Government is not reason, it is not eloquence, it is force; like fire, a troublesome servant and a fearful master"

The Steiner P4XI continues to get positive reviews and may be one of the better deals currently for this type of optic.
    These show up regularly in the ARFcom and M4C optics classifieds regularly. $500-600 with mount.
    David S.

The Steiner P4XI continues to get positive reviews and may be one of the better deals currently for this type of optic. Price really seems too good to be true for the boxes this optic checks:

1: Daytime bright dot
    2: US Made (I assume more like US assembled?)
    3: Capped turrets
    4: Fairly simple and uncluttered reticle
    5: Lifetime warranty (3yr on electronics)
    6: Common battery
    7: Water resistant to 10m

Questions that remain:

1: Drop durability. I don't expect the thing to be Aimpoint durable but it would be nice to know that if it gets dropped from a reasonable height it'll still more or less function
    2: Battery life. Seems most of these LPVO's have some battery life issues. What's the runtime on this one?
    3: General longterm usage. Has anyone had adjustment turrets come loose? Glass fog up? Stuff like that

https://www.steiner-optics.com/riflescopes/p4xi-1-4x24
    I've been using the p4xi for over a year now and it's been rock solid so far. No loosening of turrets or fog. As for durability, I have had zero issues. I dont baby my rifles by any means but I dont intentionally abuse them as well. Dropping the rifle onto the ground from the prone position and jamming it against the corner of cover and door frames has caused zero issues. I have used it in the rain and in the snow with zero fog. I'm using a 30mm American defense QD mount. I would 100% buy another one.

Quote Originally Posted by snow white View Post
    I've been using the p4xi for over a year now and it's been rock solid so far. No loosening of turrets or fog. As for durability, I have had zero issues. I dont baby my rifles by any means but I dont intentionally abuse them as well. Dropping the rifle onto the ground from the prone position and jamming it against the corner of cover and door frames has caused zero issues. I have used it in the rain and in the snow with zero fog. I'm using a 30mm American defense QD mount. I would 100% buy another one.
    I am pretty intrigued by this scope. Admittedly I was looking at the primary 1-6x. I know a couple guys that use them and have been solid. But the Steiner seems to be a definite step up and I like the simplicity of their reticles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Any chance you've used your scope with 300 BLK? I wonder how the generic stadia lines might work with supers and subs. If zero'ed with supers might one of the lower stadia lines provide an adequate hold when using subs?

Obviously target size/range will come into play. I'm hoping that if zero'ed at something like 100 with supers maybe the lowest stadia line might work for subs at 100?

Any chance you've used your scope with 300 BLK? I wonder how the generic stadia lines might work with supers and subs. If zero'ed with supers might one of the lower stadia lines provide an adequate hold when using subs?

Obviously target size/range will come into play. I'm hoping that if zero'ed at something like 100 with supers maybe the lowest stadia line might work for subs at 100?
    I do not have any answers for you regarding 300bo unfortunately. I'd assume you could get it to work with the stadia lines but I dont know what that would look like. I'm using this optic as a red dot 95% of the time. Living in rural NH I dont have much opportunity to shoot over 300 yards, and inside that 300 I find it faster to stay with zero magnification rather than mucking around with the lever. If I'm shooting a small target at 300 I'll go to 4x but most of the time I'm using man size targets and magnification isnt necessary. I do however find it easier to turn the dot off when shooting at 300 As the crosshairs give me a finer POA.

Quote Originally Posted by NH Shooter View Post
    I ran a couple of different ACOGs, they are excellent. My problem was a lack of an adjustable eyepiece so the reticles were never 100% sharp to my crappy eyesight.

My current set up - which has thus far proven to be the best compromise for my vision and use - is a Leuplod FX-II Ultralight 2.5x20mm in a DD mount. The scope is actually 2.2x, has 5 to 6 inches of non-fussy eye relief, and is bright, sharp and clear. It has a well-established reputation for use on hard-recoiling dangerous game rifles. Two-eyes-open use is superb - between the long eye relief and the scope's small profile, there is very little obstruction of the FOV. Total weight between scope and mount is 12.2 ounces.

Not shown in the photos below, I'm also now using a set of MBUS PRO offset irons which I like far more than I thought I would. Between the scope and irons I have confidence my ability to engage a target under a variety of conditions.

Attachment 35839
    Will this DD Mount clear a fixed FSB? Does it have a cut out in the rear that will permit you to use traditional flip up placement BUIS? Thanks.

Can you vouch for the red dot being truly daytime bright? In my experience most scope manufacturers claim this but few deliver. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by El Cid View Post
    Can you vouch for the red dot being truly daytime bright? In my experience most scope manufacturers claim this but few deliver. Thanks!
    I can definitely be used in the daytime although it wont get near as bright as the highest setting on an MRO or somthing like that. To be honest I rarely use the dot, I usually just use the reticle and forget the red dot even exists most of the time. I dont see an appreciable difference in speed during the daytime. I've done some twilight shooting with it as well and absolutely have used the dot in that case.

I can definitely be used in the daytime although it wont get near as bright as the highest setting on an MRO or somthing like that. To be honest I rarely use the dot, I usually just use the reticle and forget the red dot even exists most of the time. I dont see an appreciable difference in speed during the daytime. I've done some twilight shooting with it as well and absolutely have used the dot in that case.
    Cool! Thanks!

I found myself faster with the red (technically amber) dot on my Z6i but the reticle is a solid backup.

User Tag List