Page 17 of 19 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 LastLast

Thread: Red Dots, "way of the dinosaur"

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    Steiner P4Xi as was mentioned, Vortex Viper deserves a look, and the older Razors can be had for just under $1k on the used market. Vortex dropped the price on both the Viper and Razor recently though so the Razor -E is just over $1k and is fantastic. I want a second one which is saying a lot because I don’t have any two of the same optic at the moment, and I hate spending money on optics.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Of the three versions of the 1-4 Viper only 1 has caped turrets.

I agree 100% that non-capped / target turrets have no place on any 1x LPV.

Supporting Business CS Tactical's Avatar
    Steiner P4Xi as was mentioned, Vortex Viper deserves a look, and the older Razors can be had for just under $1k on the used market. Vortex dropped the price on both the Viper and Razor recently though so the Razor -E is just over $1k and is fantastic. I want a second one which is saying a lot because I don’t have any two of the same optic at the moment, and I hate spending money on optics.

The Viper did go down in price, the Razor Gen II 4.5-27 also went down in price but the 1-6 Razor (E)nhanced models did not go down in price
    CS Tactical
    For the best pricing on Optics please PM or call 916.670.1103
    Dealer for Zero Compromise, Tangent Theta, Leupold,
    Nightforce, MDT, Vortex, XLR Industries and more...
    www.cstactical.com

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Of the three versions of the 1-4 Viper only 1 has caped turrets.

I agree 100% that non-capped / target turrets have no place on any 1x LPV.
    I was talking about the Gen II 1-6 Vipers.

Quote Originally Posted by CS Tactical View Post
    The Viper did go down in price, the Razor Gen II 4.5-27 also went down in price but the 1-6 Razor (E)nhanced models did not go down in price
    Interesting, the vendor I bought mine from dropped his price so I guess it was just an internal thing.

Supporting Business CS Tactical's Avatar
    I was talking about the Gen II 1-6 Vipers.

Interesting, the vendor I bought mine from dropped his price so I guess it was just an internal thing.

Vendors can discount some items, but that does not mean the Manufacturer lowered the price
    CS Tactical
    For the best pricing on Optics please PM or call 916.670.1103
    Dealer for Zero Compromise, Tangent Theta, Leupold,
    Nightforce, MDT, Vortex, XLR Industries and more...
    www.cstactical.com

Quote Originally Posted by CS Tactical View Post
    Vendors can discount some items, but that does not mean the Manufacturer lowered the price
    Yeah I knew that the Viper had officially dropped, and I saw him lower the price of the Razor right around the same time which is why I made that assumption.

Necropost to add this as reference material for the topic of this thread. I just stumbled across it.

Brokos: "Arm yourself, investigate, and research LPVO’s for your own blaster. Tier 1 units are running them, the three-gun World has been utilizing them for a long time, for the most part the bugs have been worked out, and there’s a range of price points to fit most budgets. Find a wide FOV, an illuminated dot for close-range work, and an appropriate reticle for distance, with the ability to take care of ranging, wind, and movers. In Dan’s world, when Snake Plissken and I infil for Escape from Chicago, I’m bringing an LPVO for my combat carbine."

https://www.recoilweb.com/evolution-...ic-135873.html
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Brokos: "Arm yourself, investigate, and research LPVO’s for your own blaster. Tier 1 units are running them,
    Author should also mention Tier 1 units SMU's are still running red dots and will continue to do so for the foreseeable future.

I took my plunge into the LPVO world in 2012 (might have been 2013), with a Trijicon TR-24. I promptly broke it in my first class and was able to complete the class with irons because I had a quick detach mount.

I switched to an Aimpoint Pro at the end of 2013. I have HAMMERED that optic and it just keeps going and going. I'm not a police officer, Tier One military guy or anything else that "needs" a LPVO. The most likely use for my AR is self defense and that's very likely to be within 50 yards.

That said, I recently bought a Steiner 1-4, to try a LPVO again. The same frustrations keep popping up.. the weight, the doubt it's tough enough, the inability to quickly use backup sights, etc.. I do like being able to make long distance shots easier, but I'm still hitting clay pigeons at 100 yds with my PRO.. so I'm not sure I need the precision.

The jury is still out for my application.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    I took my plunge into the LPVO world in 2012 (might have been 2013), with a Trijicon TR-24. I promptly broke it in my first class and was able to complete the class with irons because I had a quick detach mount.

I switched to an Aimpoint Pro at the end of 2013. I have HAMMERED that optic and it just keeps going and going. I'm not a police officer, Tier One military guy or anything else that "needs" a LPVO. The most likely use for my AR is self defense and that's very likely to be within 50 yards.

That said, I recently bought a Steiner 1-4, to try a LPVO again. The same frustrations keep popping up.. the weight, the doubt it's tough enough, the inability to quickly use backup sights, etc.. I do like being able to make long distance shots easier, but I'm still hitting clay pigeons at 100 yds with my PRO.. so I'm not sure I need the precision.

The jury is still out for my application.
    Hitting a clay pigeon on a range is one thing locating and positively identifying something that size under field conditions is another.

A general rule of thumb is 1x per 100 yards to hit stuff and 2x per 100 yards to positively ID stuff.

If positive ID under field conditions and / or shots > 100 yards are not part of your application then you may be better off with an RDS.

The Steiner P4XI continues to get positive reviews and may be one of the better deals currently for this type of optic. Price really seems too good to be true for the boxes this optic checks:

1: Daytime bright dot
    2: US Made (I assume more like US assembled?)
    3: Capped turrets
    4: Fairly simple and uncluttered reticle
    5: Lifetime warranty (3yr on electronics)
    6: Common battery
    7: Water resistant to 10m

Price online is right around $550 with Steiner showing an MSRP of $749.

Questions that remain:

1: Drop durability. I don't expect the thing to be Aimpoint durable but it would be nice to know that if it gets dropped from a reasonable height it'll still more or less function
    2: Battery life. Seems most of these LPVO's have some battery life issues. What's the runtime on this one?
    3: General longterm usage. Has anyone had adjustment turrets come loose? Glass fog up? Stuff like that

https://www.steiner-optics.com/riflescopes/p4xi-1-4x24

User Tag List