Page 16 of 19 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: Red Dots, "way of the dinosaur"

Quote Originally Posted by ChknLivrNWsky View Post
    Quick question,

I'm strongly considering an LPVO for my 14.5" AR. As far as BUIS go, is it possible to still run flip up irons mounted in the traditional 12 o'clock position on the rail with an LPVO? Or are offset irons mandatory?

I currently have KAC Micro flip ups, and was considering going with a 1.93 mount for a Kahles K16i 1- 6x. In the event that the optic crapped out, would the KAC BUIS still be usable? Or would it not be possible to see the sights with the optic still in place.

Thanks
    No standard BUIS are going to work with any variable or magnified optic still in place for several reasons. One being they aren't going to be usable through the optic like a red dot and second mostly the back housing (eye piece) is going to sit over the rear sight and keep it from being deployed.

So therefore the options are to have offset BUIS that can be used with out removing the optic or a quick detach mount of some sort so you can remove the optic and deploy the BUIS.

Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    I’m sure this is because I’m ignorant of such things but...

If they can make a 21oz 1-10, it sure seems to me that someone ought to be able to come up with a super-lightweight 1-4 or 1-5. The z6i, as far as I know, is about the best power:weight example on the market, topping out at 6x but weighing only 16oz. The market seems to be trending towards higher max power but I’d like to see them trend towards lower max power and lighter weight.

Price and weight are still the two primary impediments in the 1-x optic market imo. Give me a $500 optic that weighs <16oz including mount and we’ll talk.

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post

If they can make a 21oz 1-10, it sure seems to me that someone ought to be able to come up with a super-lightweight 1-4 or 1-5. The z6i, as far as I know, is about the best power:weight example on the market, topping out at 6x but weighing only 16oz. The market seems to be trending towards higher max power but I’d like to see them trend towards lower max power and lighter weight.

Price and weight are still the two primary impediments in the 1-x optic market imo. Give me a $500 optic that weighs <16oz including mount and we’ll talk.
    I agree. For an AR, I’d much rather have a better combination of weight, durability, price, and glass then just chasing more and more magnification.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    At $575, I'm afraid is probably not a hard use scope.

Any decent, tougth variable optic is difficult (and expensive) to make, and beyond a 4X zoom even more so. If you also expect great optics, daylight illum, good turrets and reticles, light weight, etc. it only increases the price.

Don't expect miracles.

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post

Quote Originally Posted by VortexOptics
    If you're looking to shave weight, decreasing the magnification is about the last way to go about doing it. Mostly on account of the fact that it would literally do nothing to the weight at all. In fact - there's really no gain to be had by going to a lower magnification in an LPVO aside from maybe the fact that your subtensions in a 1-4x SFP optic would be correct in relation to target size at 4x rather than 6x. Weight, length, shape, size, optical quality, etc would really not be affected at all if we're talking about making a scope with the same level of optical quality, build quality and features.

Edit - we'll keep going since it's almost closing time and this is a fun topic. Optical performance on 1x wouldn't magically get better by lopping off 2x on the high end either. At least... Not in a way that's worth it. The Razor 1-6 already has some crazy good 1x performance and has widely been regarded as one of the best. One could make it even better, but there would be no reason to lose magnification in order to do it - you could get better 1x performance with a 1-6x or a 1-8x or if you really go nuts and start designing some optical systems with lens elements and curvatures that would make a lens-grinder's mind melt, a 1-10x. You could also get lighter too if you start using some more expensive materials and manufacturing methods. Sure, the Razor isn't the lightest LPVO out there, but it's a damn good one and comes in at a great price as-is for what it does performance-wise.

Bottom line - a 1-4x Razor with all else being the same level of quality and same features would still be expensive and still be just as heavy and still look just as nice. Don't hamstring yourself

We get it, though - people want lighter and that's something we've been listening to for a long time. The other thing people need to consider is that optics take a long ass time to develop. 3-5 years isn't out of the ordinary at all, especially when it's at such a high end. Rest assured - there are professionals here who went to school for this stuff that are working full time to make our optics better in every way and in ways that customers request (Unless they start trying to request Band-aid solutions that won't work and will just create more issues!) lol Keep your eyes peeled!

Thanks as always to everyone who keeps us working on new stuff all the time. Keeps this job interesting.
    Source: https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...84#post2719784

I have several of both. For my use cases domestically, I opt for a red dot 95+% of the time. Hardly a dinosaur in my instance and statistically I see the exact opposite where red dots are predominant and LPVO is the outlier.

Site Supporter
    I prefer LPVO over red dots, and have for several years. I still have a MRO on my patrol rifle because we can only have red dots, no mag allowed. One issue, as others have mentioned, is that even though I have 20/20 vision- red dots are still not a crisp dot to my eyes. Are they useable? Sure, but I'm only required to hit an "A" zone at 50 yards and in. I have shot, and achieved repeatable hits out to 400 with only a red dot. However that is on a C-zone steel out in the open. Put a dark shirt on that steel, and it becomes hard to find at half that range. I think the target ID is what really makes the LPVO a better choice- even for LE patrol rifles.

That said- Why on earth do manufacturers insist on putting EXPOSED TARGET TURRETS on what is essentially a variable power red dot? I have had constant struggles with turrets rotating on their own over the years. It's gotten to the point that I will no longer buy scopes that don't have capped, or locked (as in have to push a button to rotate) turrets. Even the "zero-stop" doesn't cut it. I have a zero-stop equipped NF 2.5-10 that I enjoy hunting with on my 6.8 SPC. This past season I hit a deer several inches further back than where I aimed. I still recovered the deer a short distance away, but when I saw where the entrance hole was- I knew I didn't aim there. I looked down at my rifle, and sure enough, my windage knob was rotated almost a MIL off. I say all that to say- STOP putting exposed unlocked turrets on these types of scopes. Nobody is dialing for a 300 yard shot with a 14.5" carbine. I see a lot of decent scopes in this category, but then I see that they have an exposed turret, and I immediately move on.

What good options are out there in the sub $1000 range with capped or locked turrets? I'll spend big money on high end glass for my bolt guns, but for a 0-300 yard range carbine I don't need $2000 glass.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate56 View Post
    What good options are out there in the sub $1000 range with capped or locked turrets? I'll spend big money on high end glass for my bolt guns, but for a 0-300 yard range carbine I don't need $2000 glass.
    Steiner P4Xi

Red Dots, &quot;way of the dinosaur&quot;

Quote Originally Posted by msstate56 View Post
    Steiner P4Xi as was mentioned, Vortex Viper deserves a look, and the older Razors can be had for just under $1k on the used market. Vortex dropped the price on both the Viper and Razor recently though so the Razor -E is just over $1k and is fantastic. I want a second one which is saying a lot because I don’t have any two of the same optic at the moment, and I hate spending money on optics.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Wake27; 05-09-2019 at 04:54 PM.

User Tag List