Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 9171819

Thread: Red Dots, "way of the dinosaur"

I bought one of these when the discounted price from Cameraland was posted here, mounted it on my AR-10. It is absolutely daylight bright. Clear excellent scope for its type. I do "shoot the dot", and mostly ignore the crosshairs. No problems ringing steel out at 500+ yards.

Quote Originally Posted by El Cid View Post
    Can you vouch for the red dot being truly daytime bright?
    It is. Even under full sun on a snow covered landscape (lots of glare).

Quote Originally Posted by Willard View Post
    Will this DD Mount clear a fixed FSB? Does it have a cut out in the rear that will permit you to use traditional flip up placement BUIS? Thanks.
    Not sure I fully understand your questions, so bear with me...

"Will this DD Mount clear a fixed FSB?"

I assume you are referring to the height of the mount (optic centerline) in relation to a fixed front sight. I don't use a FSB and the height is not specified on the DD website, but a quick measurement with a set of Vernier calipers I get 1.493" from the top of the rail to the optic centerline.

"Does it have a cut out in the rear that will permit you to use traditional flip up placement BUIS?"

Not sure what you mean but I do not see anything on the rear of the mount that would allow a BUIS to extend into or overlap with the mount. In my case with five inches of eye relief to the scope, the entire mount is pretty far forward leaving plenty of room to mount a BUIS;

I hope the is helps!

Quote Originally Posted by Willard View Post
    Will this DD Mount clear a fixed FSB? Does it have a cut out in the rear that will permit you to use traditional flip up placement BUIS? Thanks.
    Something to keep in mind- A front sight base always blocks part of the view through the optic, whether the optic is mounted in a absolute co-witness mount or lower 1/3. Your eye may not see the front sight and I don't know the laws that govern how the front sight can blur out to the point it's virtually invisible. But the front sight base does render that part of the reticle it blocks unusable. That part of the reticle cannot be used for accurate holdovers. If cranking in enough elevation drops the center below the front sight base, it will be blocked. If you want to test this for yourself, mount a scope in a mount that's too low on an AR with an FSB and try making precise shots at 100 yards or more.
    We wish to thank the United Network Command for Law and Enforcement, without whose assistance this program would not have been possible.

LPVO requires significantly more training and discipline
    it is truly astounding what type of slop can still make hits with an RDS, phenomenal

The only thing I use an AR for is self/home defense.

Aimpoint beats an LPVO in that role for me.

Hell I still have few carry handles around for daytime guns.

While LPVs have many advantages over red dots there are still plenty of arguments for using a red dot in specific circumstances. A few I can think off of the top of my head:

1. In urban/LE use where most, if not all, shots are taken under 100 yards (the average police SNIPER engagement is 59 yards). Just because an officer can PID a distant target with a LPV does not mean he can engage said target. Most of the time you just need a good quick aiming point...
    2. CQB while wearing PPE (gas mask/respirator)-it can be done with a LPV but a red dot is much easier to use
    3. I would not broad-spectrum issue a LPV to most cops. Not to mention the significantly handicapped battery life that LPVs have something as simple as remembering to turn down the magnification after a longer range engagement can be a serious issue(Ive seen it first hand).

All that being said I think the technology is going to get better and better which might change things up in the coming years. I do believe that having a LPV is a significant force multiplier whether that be in the LE/SWAT world or military.

I like both now, mostly because I forgot to dial back my magnification during one stage and ended up point shooting. Worked, but not great. I’m experimenting with leaving it at 6x and running dot as primary or keeping the razor as primary and the RDS is just there in case some weird stuff comes up.

Initially, shooting small plates at 100 worked well but I was able to brace on those stages. The stage where I had to shoot offhand, I missed my first two shots at 6x, then transitioned to the dot and made 3/3 in about as much time, maybe less.

That was just from one match with maybe three or four stages so very initial impressions, but that’s where I’m at right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A good argument for the police officer and the LPVO. Apologies if this is a double post:

https://youtu.be/F70QAoDW9dU

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

User Tag List