Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Frankin Build Reliability Question

Frankin Build Reliability Question

When you guys see AR builds dying in classes is it because they are assembled badly, bad parts, bad lubrication or a combo?

I’ve got a couple PWS and a BCM but I’ve also got a bunch of builds. They have never had a problem but none of them have more than 500-1000 rounds through them.

Adding - I’m assuming we are talking uppers.
    Last edited by Oukaapie; 03-04-2019 at 10:57 AM. Reason: Adding clarity, assuming uppers are the problem.

Site Supporter

Frankin Build Reliability Question

Quote Originally Posted by Oukaapie View Post
    When you guys see AR builds dying in classes is it because they are assembled badly, bad parts, bad lubrication or a combo?

I’ve got a couple PWS and a BCM but I’ve also got a bunch of builds. They have never had a problem but none of them have more than 500-1000 rounds through them.
    Shouldn’t you be running an R-5?[emoji41] JK!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Jackdog; 03-04-2019 at 10:27 AM.

Are you building the uppers? Honestly lowers are pretty hard to mess up if you use good parts. Only thing I have even seen happen is someone had their castle nut come loose because they didnt' tighten it enough or stake it.
    Last edited by breakingtime91; 03-04-2019 at 10:39 AM.

It really comes down to 2 things:
    1. The quality of the parts
    2. The competency of the assembler

That of course leaves out the variables of magazines, ammo, lube, and operator copetency...all of which I've seen take guns offline in classes, comps, and general range usage.

All that being said, "frankengun" means different things to different people. To some, it's anything that didn't come from the factory that way. To others it's a hodgepodge of garbage parts.

A gun correctly assembled with quality parts will run 100%. My guns are that way as are guns of several friends. None of us ever have any issues over many thousands of rounds at very high level classes, competitions, etc.
    Last edited by ASH556; 03-04-2019 at 11:27 AM.
    Food Court Apprentice
    Semper Paratus certified AR15 armorer

Here are a few reasons, in approximate rank:

1. JP buffer/spring components
    2. "Competition" chambers
    3. Gas system issues
    4. Random problems with no obvious cause
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    Here are a few reasons, in approximate rank:

1. JP buffer/spring components
    Food Court Apprentice
    Semper Paratus certified AR15 armorer

I've helped a few guys sort out problematic ARs. The causes have been-
    - Weak springs. Extractor, hammer & action springs.
    - Leaky or blocked gas systems.
    - Incorrectly installed parts. Upside down semi-auto disconnect springs, hammer spring legs in wrong, parts not torqued, parts over torqued.

I'd say the #1 problem is springs. Next, is gas system.
    We wish to thank the United Network Command for Law and Enforcement, without whose assistance this program would not have been possible.

So if they run a couple hundred rounds with zero problems they are good to go assuming good pmags, good lube and halfway non awful ammo? Or is there a hammering at speed, building up heat, things I’m looking to pressure test? If so, what’s the pressure test look like?

If all goes badly I can have SeriousStudent rebuild my stuff, but please don’t tell him. It’s a secret.

Site Supporter
    So if they run a couple hundred rounds with zero problems they are good to go assuming good pmags, good lube and halfway non awful ammo? Or is there a hammering at speed, building up heat, things I’m looking to pressure test? If so, what’s the pressure test look like?

If all goes badly I can have SeriousStudent rebuild my stuff, but please don’t tell him. It’s a secret.
    The best way to tell is to take each one through a class and see what happens. That’s the only sure way to tell if the build is solid. Of not then
    have @SeriousStudent rebuild it.

Site Supporter
    Here’s a Carbine class this weekend in E. Texas. Solid instructors.

http://www.ptgtrainingllc.com/store/..._________.html

User Tag List