Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Surefire Optimized Bolt Carrier

Surefire Optimized Bolt Carrier

The Surefire Optimized Bolt Carrier has been seen on YouTube and a few other places since 2016 and is apparently ready for commercial sale. Has anyone tried one yet?

Surefire says the OBC was designed by Jim Sullivan. Sullivan was one of the Armalite people back in the day.

The OBC uses a short buffer and an abbreviated gas key. This gives the carrier a quarter inch or so more travel. This extra travel gives the magazine more time to position the cartridge for feeding. Also the OBC has a spring-loaded counterweight in the carrier itself. This is supposed to delay unlocking and also "balance" the reciprocating mass and eliminate bolt bounce.

I like the theory of the OBC and am eager to give it a try. With that said, the $450 sticker price is pretty frightening. Too bad the package isn't priced somewhere around the $300 mark. Maybe $350.

https://www.surefire.com/optimized-b...oup-556mm.html

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

hmm

Neat, but hard to justify... at least for my needs.

I’m very interested in this, and your thoughts once you have one in hand.

What problems is this designed to solve, other than bolt bounce? Is it just supposed to be a 'better mousetrap'?

Unless you’re running full auto and/or a suppressor I don’t think it’s worth the cost. If you want a revised cam pin track and an updated bolt get the full LMT E-Carrier BCG.
    Last edited by MSparks909; 03-04-2019 at 11:09 AM.
    Shoot more, post less...

Quote Originally Posted by MSparks909 View Post
    Unless you’re running full auto and/or a suppressor I don’t think it’s worth the cost. If you want a revised cam pin track and updated bolt get the full LMT E-Carrier.
    I think the lengthened stroke is probably what this product brings to the table over whatever else is out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    I think the lengthened stroke is probably what this product brings to the table over whatever else is out there.

I agree. And I think that benefit manifests itself most when used on suppressed full auto SBRs (ala the MK18). The increased stroke length gives the magazine more time to feed the next round and slows down the cyclic rate. On a semi-auto AR I don’t think you’ll notice much change vs a standard BCG/buffer combo
    Shoot more, post less...

Quote Originally Posted by MSparks909 View Post
    I agree. And I think that benefit manifests itself most when used on suppressed full auto SBRs (ala the MK18). The increased stroke length gives the magazine more time to feed the next round and slows down the cyclic rate. On a semi-auto AR I don’t think you’ll notice much change vs a standard BCG/buffer combo
    The counterweight should delay bolt acceleration both from the locked position and at the end of the recoil stroke. Will the delay in dynamics lessen felt recoil?

I had the opportunity in 2017 to mess with this system back in 2017, so my memory's a little fuzzy. I didn't shoot it, but did get to tear it down and look at all the small parts as it interfaced in a gun. From what I recall what others are saying is correct. No real benefit to a semi-auto gun, but for FA, especially with a short barrel and suppressed it's a significant upgrade. I thought the one I examined had something different about the receiver too. A different cut/channel for the cam pin or something. Like I said, a little fuzzy.

I do remember thinking at the time, "This is what the 416 should have been." Basically, it addresses the issues of the Stoner system while not adopting the issues of direct-piston systems.
    Food Court Apprentice
    Semper Paratus certified AR15 armorer

User Tag List