Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AIWB VP9SK or P2000 LEM

AIWB VP9SK or P2000 LEM

Hi everyone,

It's been a while since I posted in here. I did start a thread about converting a P2000 V2 LEM to V1 LEM, or just moving to a striker fired gun for the reasons that the V2 just wasn't doing it for me. I did end up buying a Glock 19 Gen 3. I did like it, but unfortunately it had the BTF issues that many talked about in their Glocks. I did do everything there was to fix it, but close to $200 in parts later, nothing changed. This was well over one year ago.

Fast forward to now, I am no longer in CA. So I don't have to deal with falsely inflated prices ($1000 + Gen 5 Glocks and VP9's).

I have currently a VP9SK that shoots very well for me, as well as my P2000 V2 that I have had since the beginning. I still have not actually carried the VP9SK, but I do hear and read a lot of statements from people that they would be too scared to carry it AIWB.

-So does anyone out there carry the VP9 or VP9SK AIWB? I read through the other threads about VP9's vs P30's vs P2000's, a lot of people rave about how well the VP9 is for competition. But how is it for carry?

Another few things I wanted to point out, the V2 LEM did finally "click" for me. I shoot it well accuracy wise, but I am slower with it which is to be expected. I do still have a sour taste after the Glock BTF issue. It ended up being money and time wasted. I'm not sure if Gen 5's still have any problems, but I'm weary of going that route again for a 3rd time.

***If sticking with the P2000, I was thinking of trying out the TGS LEM conversion on the P2000. Reason being that I already have the pistol, so buying the few needed springs isn't a huge loss of money if I don't like it.

Regarding the TGS, I know that it is not a factory option. Should there be any concern with having this trigger variant in a carry pistol? Are there any quirks I need to be aware of with TGS LEM? Ie. light primer strikes with certain types of ammo etc.

My brother really wants to buy a VP9SK, if it's not something suitable for AIWB carry, then I will just give it to him as a gift and continue on with the P2000.

With all that said, the VP9SK is a lot easier to shoot. I have grown on the P2000 LEM, but it does definitely take more concentration to shoot it as effectively.

I am not currently home, but will be back there to visit within the next two months. In the mean time, I want to know if I should start buying more mags, a pair of sights, and holster for the VP9SK. Or if I should order the TGS springs and have them ready for when I get there.

It is a little early here, so I apologize if I made some mistakes while typing this up. I hope it all makes sense. Thanks

Here's a middle ground to consider. Send the P2000 to Lazy Wolf Guns and get the LEM Action Enhancement Package. I think the carry TPW is around 4.5 lbs (see Rick's website for details), but the reset is unbelievable. I don't carry AIWB, but I'd certainly consider it with a DA/SA or LEM HK. I really like thumb on hammer when reholstering and the long LEM trigger is comforting.

Why would people consider either one not suitable for AIWB carry (vs. any other sticker fired pistol except maybe for Glock with SCR) ? Serious question, I'm somewhat of a newb and have been carrying and practicing with both out of JMCK AIWB holsters...

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by kzielu View Post
    Why would people consider either one not suitable for AIWB carry (vs. any other sticker fired pistol except maybe for Glock with SCR) ? Serious question, I'm somewhat of a newb and have been carrying and practicing with both out of JMCK AIWB holsters...

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Not saying I’m carrying an HK (I’m not) however the relative trigger press distance of a VP9/SK (0.25”) vs. say a Glock 19 (0.5”), and non-availability of a Tau Development Striker Control Device for the HK (again, vs. a Glock 19, say) may or may not be a factor in some folks decision to AIWB.

Obviously this is a personal risk assessment and everyone’s perception varies and of course everyone makes their own decision. I would not dream of commenting on your or others choices.

I’m just saying it may be a factor.

You said AIWB....so easy choice would be p2000 and don’t look back. I would take a hammer any day of the week over the vp9s trigger. I had a vp9 and p30s.

If it is a defensive use carry gun I would not really worry about a lot of the small details. Put in the time behind a p2000 and you will be fine. It’s a robust, durable, accurate pistol.

Or you could always Apex extractor your gen 3 and put a Gadget on it.

Gen 5 Glocks have the ejection figured out finally and are very strong. I doubt you would have a issue with BTF anymore. I only carry a glock with scd or a hammer fired pistol for aiwb but that is just me. I practice the way I carry so that means a lot of drawing and reholstering during live fire. I still feel more warm and fuzzy while training with a TDA just for the extra layers of "safety"

Quote Originally Posted by EVP View Post
    You said AIWB....so easy choice would be p2000 and don’t look back. I would take a hammer any day of the week over the vp9s trigger. I had a vp9 and p30s.

If it is a defensive use carry gun I would not really worry about a lot of the small details. Put in the time behind a p2000 and you will be fine. It’s a robust, durable, accurate pistol.

Or you could always Apex extractor your gen 3 and put a Gadget on it.
    I already did the Apex extractor and unfortunately it didn't help. After putting so much extra money into it, I gave up. It just got ridiculous shooting a $700 Glock that I couldn't trust.

Quote Originally Posted by 10mmfanboy View Post
    Gen 5 Glocks have the ejection figured out finally and are very strong. I doubt you would have a issue with BTF anymore. I only carry a glock with scd or a hammer fired pistol for aiwb but that is just me. I practice the way I carry so that means a lot of drawing and reholstering during live fire. I still feel more warm and fuzzy while training with a TDA just for the extra layers of "safety"
    I'm not against going back to Glocks if they have everything figured out. If I didn't have the P2000 at home, I wouldn't mind trying a G19 again.

I really do like the P2000 LEM, it would be nice if there was anything to make the V2 better. I know that there are gunsmiths that do trigger work on HK's. I'm not 100% opposed to sending it out, but I just don't want to sacrifice any of the reliability. I also don't want to push it into being too light/smooth (competition trigger).

That's why the TGS LEM caught my attention.

Quote Originally Posted by ChknLivrNWsky View Post
    I already did the Apex extractor and unfortunately it didn't help. After putting so much extra money into it, I gave up. It just got ridiculous shooting a $700 Glock that I couldn't trust.

I'm not against going back to Glocks if they have everything figured out. If I didn't have the P2000 at home, I wouldn't mind trying a G19 again.

I really do like the P2000 LEM, it would be nice if there was anything to make the V2 better. I know that there are gunsmiths that do trigger work on HK's. I'm not 100% opposed to sending it out, but I just don't want to sacrifice any of the reliability. I also don't want to push it into being too light/smooth (competition trigger).

That's why the TGS LEM caught my attention.
    I'd just work with the p2000 as is. I buy Glocks for their reliability just like I had HK for the same reason. I didn't buy either one for their stellar triggers or awesome ergos, just dead nuts reliability.

A couple of my thoughts RE your queries.

I do carry my VP40, and have qualified with it on a recent LEO qualification. It's got a triggerpull weight about the same as a Glock, but with a softer wall preceding the striker break point, so my recommendation is for significant familiarization, dryfire practice and training before using it as a duty gun. Ergos are excellent. It's a superb gun, but for duty/threat management, I prefer my hammer-fired P30L V1.5 LEM or Beretta 92D. As a pure self-defense and competition (IDPA in my case), the VP is intrinsically more "shootable." But that's the nature of SFA vs. LEM; you just have to select the right action/tool for you (or sufficiently train yourself to the intrinsic characteristics of the tool).

Regarding your P2000 LEN V2, I would suggest calling HK and discussing with them if there's a slightly lighter trigger return spring-I don't see one listed, but they'd be more definitive. Discussing with TooSixy on the HK Pro forum is likely to be very worthwhile too.

I don't doubt that the action can be massaged by Lazy Wolf and others, but there may be less expensive routes (as discussed above) that don't compromise your warranty that I'd explore first.

Best, Jon
    Last edited by JonInWA; 03-04-2019 at 12:59 PM.

I’d you are newish to AIWB then it’s way easier to work with the added safety of thumbing a hammer. Not shooting yourself in the femoral is a major aspect of defending yourself.

I really tried to love H&K’s and very accomplished guys say great things about them but retards like me just think their hammer guns triggers suck horrendously. Their striker guns are tre chic however they can’t take the Tau Gadget.

Options that I see and that I spent silly time considering fo my own situation:
    1. LEM should still allow face shooting at defensive cadence at 7 yards. If you can’t do that get training and practice more.
    2. Get a PX4 with Langdon trigger. It’s beautiful. I often weep while looking at it and I weep considerably more when touching it. Shooting it is not something I can mention on a family show.
    3. Glock 19 Gen 5 with GADGET. Shoots great, can still thumb it....sort of.
    4. Get a good kydex holster with wedge, arch hips, pay attention, insert carefully paying attention to any resistance.

User Tag List