Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Good quality ratchet straps?

Banned
    holding the head of Perseus in my support hand
    Quote Originally Posted by John Hearne View Post
    It's been a while but I remember being told that all ratchet straps are suspect. That if you're really worried about securing the load, that "cam buckle" aka friction tie downs are preferred.
    Could be. I’ve logged many many miles towing competition cars worth a lot of money all over the country and find well made ratchet straps with plenty of load rating, kept in good condition, are what those of us who do a lot of such towing use. Ymmv. The op mentioned his trailer has limited tie down options and that is or might be a problem requiring modifications.
    Last edited by Medusa; 03-04-2019 at 02:37 PM.

I'm going to shamelessly plug my own website for transport products. https://www.e-rigging.com/quikbinder-plus

Ratchet Binders, especially the quickbinder plus, are a great product. We also have them at really competitive prices.
    I'm so cheap I took all the shot up targets from Gabe White's class. Brown tape is cheaper than targets though...

Quote Originally Posted by tyrusasmith View Post
    I'm going to shamelessly plug my own website for transport products. https://www.e-rigging.com/quikbinder-plus

Ratchet Binders, especially the quickbinder plus, are a great product. We also have them at really competitive prices.
    Man, I don't think I even have enough room from the cart to the deck of the trailer for those bad boys!

Quote Originally Posted by tyrusasmith View Post
    I'm going to shamelessly plug my own website for transport products.
    Nice site!

I never scrimp when it comes to load security.

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    Man, I don't think I even have enough room from the cart to the deck of the trailer for those bad boys!
    We had our own private label ratchet straps that were good quality, but couldn't compete with the cheap imports from China. Most customers just want something that is cheap rather than high quality. We had to discontinue them.

We are looking to start manufacturing our own marine grade stainless steel ratchet straps this summer. Sorry for the poor timing.
    I'm so cheap I took all the shot up targets from Gabe White's class. Brown tape is cheaper than targets though...

Quote Originally Posted by Gray01 View Post
    I never secure any vehicular load with anything but proper load binding chains and binders.

These are Transport Grade 70 (Domestic, not China) Binder Chains- 3/8" - SWL 6600 lbs, bound with Quickbinder Folding Handle Ratchet Load Binder for 5/16" & 3/8" - SWL 7,100 lbs.

Attachment 35782
    There is another kind of binder that uses a lever to take the slack out of the chain. I once saw a guy almost knock himself out when he slipped and the pipe he was using whacked him in the head.
    "You can't win a war with choirboys. " Mad Mike Hoare

Quote Originally Posted by NEPAKevin View Post
    There is another kind of binder that uses a lever to take the slack out of the chain. I once saw a guy almost knock himself out when he slipped and the pipe he was using whacked him in the head.
    Lever Load Binders are notorious for that. We carry a great alternative with the Peerless Safety Release Lever Load Binder. You can see it in action here, and yours truly is the operator in the video after the quick intro. I've lost 65 lbs since this was filmed, so don't judge.
    https://youtu.be/o1xY4937McA

https://www.e-rigging.com/Peerless-S...-Binder-How-To

Quote Originally Posted by NEPAKevin View Post
    That is a not infrequent occurrence with those unfamiliar with that type of binder in conjunction with those unfamiliar with the concept.

Ratchet binders are a much cleaner solution.

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    Also thinking about these. I need to get the cart on the trailer when I'm not in a hurry to leave and see what my options might be.
    https://www.uscargocontrol.com/Side-...at-Hook-4-Pack
    Wound up getting a set of these guys. Hauled the cart yesterday for the first time with them. They’re good, but I have some issues.

First, the cart stayed on, and the straps on the front wheels stayed tight both to and from the range, an hour each way.

However, the straps on the rear wheels came loose on both trips.

They are, now that I have them in hand, clearly designed for full-size car tires on a large trailer, not tiny golf cart tires on a tiny trailer. I pretty much wind up running out of material to suck into the ratchet. I also don’t have much in the way of attachment points for the hooks and have to go to the underside of the trailer. Both of which you can see in this picture. This is the front tire that at least did stay tight for both trips.

Attachment 37477

The rear offers even more problems, biggest of which is the conflict with the trailer wheel and fender. Which means I have to strap it back a bit to try and get any kind of attachment. Which in turn means it comes loose.

Attachment 37478

Attachment 37479

Is there a reason that you can attach the straps to the rear of the trailer? That should give you enough room.
    Whether you think you can or you can't, you're probably right.

User Tag List