Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: sights lifting up and right to 1 o'clock

sights lifting up and right to 1 o'clock

Hoping to glean some insights. As the title says, my sights lift to the 1'oclock postition before returning to the notch. it tracks fairly consistently. Should it be tracking straight up to the 12 o'clock position? is this even a problem? i am a right handed, shooting a VP9 tactical.

Ive read that the barrel twist might be causing the lift to 1 o'clock. but I've shot a G17, an M&P 2.0, and a Sig 320 - and all every time I shoot those platforms the sights track straight up and down......

What do your groups on target tell you?

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Reese View Post
    What do your groups on target tell you?

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk
    I group roughly from center to 12oclock on a B8 at 10 yards

It's your barrel twist that makes it rotate to the right. It's the barrel being above the axis of rotation (the web of you hand) that makes it go up.

Everything is normal and you're doing a good job tracking your sights to pick that up.
    Whether you think you can or you can't, you're probably right.

When I press my weak hand thumb into the side of the frame the gun recoils up and to the right. I don't like it so I stopped touching the gun with my thumb.

Quote Originally Posted by Leroy View Post
    When I press my weak hand thumb into the side of the frame the gun recoils up and to the right. I don't like it so I stopped touching the gun with my thumb.
    Interesting. Makes me thing of what Hwansik Kim said about exerting only fore and aft pressure on the grip.

I also recall Gabe White talking about thumbing the slide. I think this was more in reference to affecting the hits than sight movie tracking, though.
    Last edited by cornstalker; 03-03-2019 at 10:03 PM.

My sights have tracked to 1:00 for as long as I’ve tracked my sights.
    • It's not the odds, it's the stakes.
    • If you aren't dry practicing every week, you're not serious.....
    • "Tache-Psyche Effect - a polite way of saying 'You suck.' " - GG

Quote Originally Posted by cornstalker View Post
    Interesting. Makes me thing of what Hwansik Kim said about exerting only fore and aft pressure on the grip.

I also recall Gabe White talking about thumbing the slide. I think this was more in reference to affecting the hits than sight movie tracking, though.
    That rotation is still happening. If I had to hazard a guess, and this is straight out of my butt, pressing a thumb into the frame with the support hand (assuming left hand) involves pronation, and taking the thumb off involves supination (or at least no pronation). When you pronate your applying pressure with your thumb at or above the axis of rotation and in the same direction the the pistol is trying to rotate. That's not conducive to stopping that movement to the right. When you supinate your apply pressure with the heel of the palm, at the bottom of the grip in the opposite direction of the rotation, on a long lever.
    Last edited by txdpd; 03-03-2019 at 11:11 PM.
    Whether you think you can or you can't, you're probably right.

Quote Originally Posted by John Hearne View Post
    My sights have tracked to 1:00 for as long as I’ve tracked my sights.
    Makes me wonder how many more track their sights to 1:00....

Quote Originally Posted by gomerpyle View Post
    Hoping to glean some insights. As the title says, my sights lift to the 1'oclock postition before returning to the notch. it tracks fairly consistently. Should it be tracking straight up to the 12 o'clock position? is this even a problem? i am a right handed, shooting a VP9 tactical.

Ive read that the barrel twist might be causing the lift to 1 o'clock. but I've shot a G17, an M&P 2.0, and a Sig 320 - and all every time I shoot those platforms the sights track straight up and down......
    The gun will go up and at angle. It's possible you are more observant....which is an even better thing.
    Last edited by nwhpfan; 03-04-2019 at 12:10 AM.
    A71593

User Tag List