Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: To fire it or not

Use it and enjoy it. (And congrats. She's a beaut.)
    There's nothing civil about this war.

If you’re eventually planning to sell it for a profit, then don’t shoot it. If you bought it for any other reason, blast away.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

It's crisp but not original: the Jinks letter says that it shipped with a plain ramp and a black rear sight, but it has a red ramp and a white-outline rear.

I'd shoot it.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Since you want to shoot it anyway, look at it like this: how many chances are you going to get to shoot a new (or nearly new) model 28? [emoji41]

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    You could probably go ask the hardcore S&W collectors over at the forum for that, but my gut feeling is that NYSP 28's aren't really collectible items.

I'd shoot it.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

I have a 6” that I enjoy, but I shoot it too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Bigghoss View Post
    I'm not one to own something I'm not going to get use or enjoyment out of. That said, if it were mine I'd have a hard time bringing myself to shoot it. I'd probably end up selling it to a collector and buying a shooter.
    This.

Perhaps treating it as investment and selling at a later date as you might decide to hold equities, etc. After many decades of collecting, everything that is left in my collection is shootable without major risk to the value. In fact David (Woodlawn Boys) and Bob Simpson of Simpson LTD helped me dispose of all those guns I did not want to shoot or get minor finish wear on for fear of destroying the value. I find that now that there is nothing I am afraid to take to the range (or carry to the field, etc.), there is a whole lot more enjoyment of those old things in my safe.

Nice find!
    Last edited by fatdog; 03-03-2019 at 12:38 PM.

That would be my new woods gun. I already have a lonely empty El Paso Saddlery border engraved Tom Threepersons holster for it.

Pair it with an engraved leather holster/belt/cartridge slide for special occasions. Life’s short, blast away!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That thing will hardly ever be an investment. As mentioned in the Jinks' letter, the front sight is not as it left the factory; killing almost all collectible value.

I wouldn't beat the crap out of it and wear the finish out, but I would certainly load it up and shoot buckets of ammo through it if it were mine.

User Tag List