Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: What firearm is in your vehicle?

I am not inside my truck, at the moment, so there are no firearms inside my truck. If I get into my truck, there will be one or more firearms inside my truck, while I am inside the truck.

If I have to travel to a gun-free zone, I will carefully evaluate whether I should trust a lockbox, inside the truck, for momentary/short-term storage, or, travel without a firearm.

I made So. Very. Many. BMV report calls during my 33+ years of LEO-ing.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    In my 20 plus years of LE experience this is commonly referred to as a “crime gun” or “evidence.”

I have a long gun in a lock box in my work vehicle during the work day but it comes in the house at night. I don’t keep a firearm in my personal vehicle other than what ever is on my person.
    This.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

Quote Originally Posted by Tactical Black Belt View Post
    Let me rephrase my question. What firearm is in your vehicle (while you are in it) other than whatever you might have in a holster on your body? For example, an AR or shotgun behind the seat.
    Depends on what I'm doing. 99% of the time, it's a stainless/synthetic bolt-action 30-06 with a 4x scope.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Site Supporter
    There seems to be unanimous consensus that leaving guns in vehicles is unwise. Now I fret about leaving one in a locked truck tool box. Soon I will buy a new Tacoma and may spend the coin to have a real safe installed inside the cab. It's a matter of time before state and/or local governments legislate residence storage requirements. I will not sell a firearm to a person who does not own a gun safe if children also reside in the house. That's my choice. There is no implication from which one might infer otherwise. Just my choice.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    Whatever gun is on my person. No gun resides in the vehicle.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich_Jenkins View Post
    Whichever gun is on my person when I get in.

When I get out, the gun leaves with me.
    Ditto.

The practice in Louisiana comes from a time before CCW was commonly available. Under state law, one’s vehicle is an extension of one’s home, so you could keep a firearm in your car. There are still folks here who assert that there’s no need for a carry permit since you can keep a gun in your car.

No firearms left in the vehicle when it isn't running. I don't want to be charitable to the local social goblins.

While I have entertained the thought of a CZ Scorpion or AR pistol in a bag I don't think it will happen. Too cumbersome to deal with during the workweek.
    "Do nothing which is of no use." -Musashi

What would TR do? TRCP BHA

Quote Originally Posted by Tactical Black Belt View Post
    Let me rephrase my question. What firearm is in your vehicle (while you are in it) other than whatever you might have in a holster on your body? For example, an AR or shotgun behind the seat.
    Just whatever is on my hip.

I am not sure that there is a situation that I couldn't drive away from that would still allow me the time to get out of my vehicle and deploy a long arm. I suspect that if the proverbial feces hits the rotary air circulation device that I am going to have to depend upon what I have readily/quickly available to me; so I train for that accordingly.
    ''Politics is for the present, but an equation is for eternity.'' ―Albert Einstein

Full disclosure per the Pistol-Forum CoC: I am the author of Quantitative Ammunition Selection.

Quote Originally Posted by PNWTO View Post
    While I have entertained the thought of a CZ Scorpion or AR pistol in a bag I don't think it will happen. Too cumbersome to deal with during the workweek.
    Not only that, but I struggle to come up with a plausible situation where it would be needed during the day to day life that I live.

I suppose there may come a time when tensions are such that a rifle will start to make sense in the car, but I think we're far, far, away from that day where I am.

@Alpha Sierra, my thoughts exactly.
    "Do nothing which is of no use." -Musashi

What would TR do? TRCP BHA

Again, I am not advocating leaving a firearm unattended in your vehicle. I posted this to clarify:

For example, I personally keep a Remington 870 behind the seat when I travel to and from my cabin approximately 40 minutes away from the house. Of course I take it out when I get there.

User Tag List