Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: What firearm is in your vehicle?

Does any of you work in a place where firearms aren't allowed ?
    Work is where I spend most of my time, I have 7 minute drive there - to carry on the way I have to leave in the car later on... Next stop on the way back - school...
    I do have a lockbox that is permanently attached to car frame and would never leave a gun in a place that isn't locked but don't see any other solution than leaving it in the car.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Tactical Black Belt View Post
    Do you have a dedicated firearm that stays in your vehicle.

In the South this is commonly referred to as a "truck gun.
    In my 20 plus years of LE experience this is commonly referred to as a “crime gun” or “evidence.”

I have a long gun in a lock box in my work vehicle during the work day but it comes in the house at night. I don’t keep a firearm in my personal vehicle other than what ever is on my person.

Due to peculiarities of state law here in TX before the institution of CHL/LTC many people talk about “car guns.” They are a relic of a time when the only legal ways to carry were open carry and in a car on an “overnight trip.” Now that Texans have the ability to legally carry a hand gun, “car gun” actually translates into:

1) It’s hot in TX and I am too lazy to carry a gun on my person, and;
    2) I do not understand the speed in which bad things happen in real life.

We recently had a Good Samaritan murdered by a car theif who use a gun he found in the console of the vehicle he had just stolen. https://news4sanantonio.com/news/loc...good-samaritan

For those times when temporary storage of a gun is necessary securing the gun in a lock box secured to the vehicle or securing the gun itself to the vehicle is the best compromise.

If you must have a “long gun” an AR Pistol with a folding brace can fit into normal looking back packs which you can take with you and is legally a “pistol” covered by most CHL/LTCs. If you can’t be bothered
    Last edited by HCM; 03-03-2019 at 12:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by okie john View Post
    I don't. In western Washington state, it would get stolen in a few days.
    Vehicle burglary is rampant here, including a few from marked police cars. LE in a multi county area has advised not to leave guns in cars.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    Vehicle burglary is rampant here, including a few from marked police cars. LE in a multi county area has advised not to leave guns in cars.
    Locally similar advice is given at LE training conferences involving overnight stays.

Banned
    To directly quote Claude Werner

Let me rephrase my question. What firearm is in your vehicle (while you are in it) other than whatever you might have in a holster on your body? For example, an AR or shotgun behind the seat.

Site Supporter
    Here's my take.

Working in a hospital, I am essentially forever in a gun free zone. I keep a LCP in my scrubs from the minute I leave the front door of my home, until the minute I leave my car in the parking lot. While I'm working, my LCP is in the locked glove compartment and my car is in a patrolled parking lot with space for each employee automobile. In a 700+ bed hospital, that's a big parking lot. My car is not emblazoned with gun bumper stickers so as to attract attention and I park some distance from entrances so it's not the first car selected by a would be thief.

My 6+1 shot pocket rocket is still not something I care to file a police report about, but carjackings aren't uncommon where I live, so I won't be unarmed at a stoplight in my car, even if I must be unarmed at work.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by 45dotACP; 03-03-2019 at 03:16 PM.

I admit to having done it on occasion some 45 years ago, but that was a different era. In most areas of the country it's a mindless (albeit common) practice. A metro area not too far from where I live recently reported that over 700 firearms were stolen from vehicles in 2018 alone. Coupled with the one's that weren't reported, that's a lot of guns in the hands of a lot of criminals.
    The path of least resistance will seldom get you where you need to be.

Site Supporter
    Only what I have on my person and whatever firearms are desired for dedicated range trips.
    I come straight home from the range, remove all firearms and ammunition from the vehicle, clean the guns and store them. Too many vehicle break ins around here to do otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by 45dotACP View Post
    My 6+1 shot pocket rocket is still not something I care to file a police report about, but carjackings aren't uncommon where I live, so I won't be unarmed at a stoplight in my car, even if I must be unarmed at work.
    That makes some sense, and you're at least making some effort to secure the firearm. I don't hear about many carjackings in my area, so I tend to think that I'd be much more likely to need a gun when my employer's policy prevents me from having one - when I'm walking between my car and the building I work in. That makes it kind of difficult to justify to myself. Wish there was any shot of convincing the organization to get rid of that policy, but I work for a company that runs a large number of hospitals and clinics, and is thus firmly into the liberal end of the political spectrum, so fat chance of that.

User Tag List