Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What firearm is in your vehicle?

What firearm is in your vehicle?

Do you have a dedicated firearm that stays in your vehicle.

In the South this is commonly referred to as a "truck gun.

I don't. In western Washington state, it would get stolen in a few days.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Whatever gun is on my person. No gun resides in the vehicle.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

I've never been terribly clear on what purpose a "truck gun" serves which would not be better served by simply carrying a gun on your person. If it's in a holster on your person, it's much more immediately accessible than if you have to return to a vehicle to retrieve it, and an argument could be made that if you're in a situation where a gun would be beneficial and you've made it to a vehicle, your best course of action would likely be to start the engine and use the vehicle to escape the situation completely. A "truck gun" also presents a non-zero chance of theft on any given day. I'd like some clarification on what the benefit of having a truck gun is, because from where I sit, the risk/reward calculation does not appear to play out in its favor.

Whichever gun is on my person when I get in.

When I get out, the gun leaves with me.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    Whatever gun is on my person. No gun resides in the vehicle.
    X2

Unless you have a really dedicated lock box or safe and a reason, truck guns are not a good idea. I rely solely on my pistol outside of the home. I have a carbine and think it is a great force multiplier but its importance is dwarfed by my pistol.

Quote Originally Posted by Tactical Black Belt View Post
    What firearm is in your vehicle?
    Do you have a dedicated firearm that stays in your vehicle.

In the South this is commonly referred to as a "truck gun.
    I don't do this, and never did, as far as having a firearm stored/resident within the passenger compartment.
    My gun(s) is/are always on my person.

Years ago, I carried a folding-stock 12 gauge shotgun in the trunk, but stopped doing so after having once forgotten to remove it when leaving the vehicle for service, and after considering (as a non-LEO) both my low likelihood of ever actually needing it and the necessarily very slow access involved.
    "Therefore, since the world has still... Much good, but much less good than ill,
    And while the sun and moon endure, Luck's a chance, but trouble's sure,
    I'd face it as a wise man would, And train for ill and not for good." -- A.E. Housman

Living on the edge between suburbia and country, and heading to an urban area on a somewhat regular basis, a firearm that lives in my vehicle is a needless liability and worry.

It's bad enough to have to temporarily leave my pistol in the car during the occasional instance I must......

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Sierra View Post
    Living on the edge between suburbia and country, and heading to an urban area on a somewhat regular basis, a firearm that lives in my vehicle is a needless liability and worry.

It's bad enough to have to temporarily leave my pistol in the car during the occasional instance I must......
    ^^^^

Basically the same situation for me. Even with a lock box that's tucked out of sight, I still hate leaving my gat in the car.

User Tag List