Thread: Keep your powder dry

Keep your powder dry

Yesterday we got to see something interesting on the range.

A shooter had not one, but two squibs with factory Federal American Eagle 40 S&W FMJ in his personally owned Glock G22 Gen4. Thankfully, each time the bullet didn't go any farther than a couple millimeters into the grooves so it was impossible for the gun to chamber another round and we were able to punch them out with ease. Inspecting the barrel nothing was damaged and it took us a bit to figure out what had happened.

Looking inside the spent cartridge casing we noticed there was a decent amount of power left and that it was soaking wet.

It looks like the primer igniting alone had created just enough force to start the bullet down the barrel.

Looking in the tray that loose ammo is stored in at the range we saw there was standing water.

Apparently, at the last range session (when it had been raining), the person that put the ammo away didn't bother to look at see that the 40 S&W range ammo had been sitting in water. Over the course of the past week it would seem that the water soaked past the factory crimp and into the powder itself.

We were extremely lucky that there were only two folks out of a class of almost 20 that were shooting 40 S&W.

I've been involved in shooting sports for almost 30 years and have been a police armorer for the last 16. This was a new one for me.

Just was enjoying the information on ya'lls forum here and wanted to jump in and relate my own squib experience.

Happened years ago with a CZ82 chambered for 9x18 makarov, was using Wolff ammo, it was the poly coated stuff think it was 100gr FMJ.

I knew immediately that something had gone wrong because of the sound and perceived recoil, and sure enough, along with the squib in the barrel, there was a bunch of unburned powder in the chamber area.

Thankfully, no weapon damage and no injuries.

It happens.

Stay alert on the range.

User Tag List