Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Moss 590 Comparison: 14" vs 18.5" vs 20" Models

Name:  KIMG0985.jpg
Views: 536
Size:  26.9 KB
    I like them all.
    I used a 20" in the Marines and like the capacity, the bayonet lug, and it just balances right in my hands.

My 18" 590 has a surefire forend on it and is my bump in the night gun with a +1 wilson extension.

My shockwave gets a lot of use hunting, training, driving around, etc.

My 18" 500s sit around the house in various locations.

Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    Name:  KIMG0985.jpg
Views: 536
Size:  26.9 KB
    I like them all.
    I used a 20" in the Marines and like the capacity, the bayonet lug, and it just balances right in my hands.
    What do you think of the bayonet on there? Any usefulness in any niche situations?

Quote Originally Posted by powell556 View Post
    What do you think of the bayonet on there? Any usefulness in any niche situations?
    Scared some Philippinos once or twice.

I have a 14 inch and 20 inch. The 20 inch has ghost ring sights and is setup very nicely as a fighting shotgun and it's great for competitions. The longer and heavier barrel on the 20 inch does make follow up shots a little smoother. I recently got the Dept. to purchase a 7 shot 590 18.5 and it is a decent setup. I don't think, in my hands, it's as easy to shoot as the 20 inch but I have more time withe the 20 inch gun.
    Last edited by Sammy1; 03-11-2019 at 07:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gater View Post
    Running a 14 inch barreled shotty was revelatory for me--it really is a sweet spot. I have an 18.5 inch 590A1 (currently with a Vang +1) that I have seriously considered going the SBS route on, but the NFA process is new to me.

OP, your comment on the six round 590 tubes piqued my curiosity, since my recollection was that when Mossberg originally went to 6+1 18.5 inch 590A1s in 2016 (along with a railed forend), they used a flush mag extension (by Choate, I think). After poking around, it appears they are indeed using a 6 round tube now. Unfortunately, I think that will mean that the older barrels like mine aren't compatible with the new mag tubes. On the plus side, if you have a new production gun (or upgrade to the new tube and barrel), I think the six round tube with a flush fit +1 will get you to 7+1 with an 18.5 barrel.

This is correct - I bought the "non A1" 590 "Tactical" model #50778 back late last year (the A1 model is #50776, the Marine A1 model is #50777) - for $260 delivered to my FFL - comes with a 6 round tube which is about 2" short of flush with the end of the barrel - I bought a S&J +1 extension which came with their follower and spring, for $55, and now I can easily have 7+1 capacity with 2.75" shells -

Since Mossberg went up to 6+1 with the 18.5" models and I can easily add a round while keeping it as compact as I can without the NFA, the 20" Mossbergs serve absolutely no purpose for me now

People may think that "its only 1.5" but it makes a difference in the shotgun feeling nose heavy and for room clearing etc, the more compact the better -

Highly recommend the newer 590/590A1 18.5" platform as its a step up from the 500 series with their 5-shot tube/barrel screw setup, which can't be expanded in capacity easily unless you change out the barrel and magazine.

User Tag List