Thread: RECALL NOTICE WINCHESTER® 38 Special 130 Grain Full Metal Jacket

RECALL NOTICE WINCHESTER® 38 Special 130 Grain Full Metal Jacket

https://winchester.com/Support/Custo...A38SPVP-Recall

RECALL NOTICE WINCHESTER® 38 Special 130 Grain Full Metal Jacket

"Olin Winchester, LLC (“Winchester”) is recalling three (3) lots of 38 Special 130 Grain Full Metal Jacket centerfire ammunition...Winchester has determined the above lots of 38 Special ammunition may contain incorrect powder charges. Ammunition with excessive powder charges may cause firearm damage, rendering it inoperable, and subjecting the shooter and bystanders to a risk of serious personal injury or death."

Only relatable because it was the same type Winchester ammo...

One of my guys who was preparing speed loaders for off-duty qualifications dropped one of the rounds on the ground and it went off. When the bullet fell the primer hit perfectly and it went off. It scared Grizzly and I because we were down range scoring a target. The shrapnel from the casing injured one officer. I have never seen that happen and I have seen or myself dropped dropped rounds to the ground.

The ammo was sent back to Winchester for examination. They originally stated it was reloaded ammo (I knew it wasn’t) because they didn’t use a certain type primer. However, we went to Walmart and bought the exact same round...with the exact same primer. Then the hemming and hawing started.

I had long before stopped using Winchester ammo. That experience will keep me from buying Winchester.

Quote Originally Posted by KeeFus View Post
    Only relatable because it was the same type Winchester ammo...

One of my guys who was preparing speed loaders for off-duty qualifications dropped one of the rounds on the ground and it went off. When the bullet fell the primer hit perfectly and it went off. It scared Grizzly and I because we were down range scoring a target. The shrapnel from the casing injured one officer. I have never seen that happen and I have seen or myself dropped dropped rounds to the ground.

The ammo was sent back to Winchester for examination. They originally stated it was reloaded ammo (I knew it wasn’t) because they didn’t use a certain type primer. However, we went to Walmart and bought the exact same round...with the exact same primer. Then the hemming and hawing started.

I had long before stopped using Winchester ammo. That experience will keep me from buying Winchester.
    New advertising slogan: "Be a man! Live on the edge! Winchester ammunition!"

Completely unrelated to the Winchester recall but we had an instance at my range where a guy had an open box of ammo in front of him. An ejected round landed on the primer and caused a detonation and shrapnel caused severe injuries to his arms

They must be awful darn soft primers if a piece of falling empty brass will cause detonation.
    I know how everyone feels about the wwb and my experience may be an anomaly but
    I have shot wwb almost exclusively in my HK's both a ton of 9 and a significant amount of .45 I'm talking like 70k + and never had any issue whatsoever.

(in full disclosure I did have two rounds recently from the 500 round value packs that were damaged when the bullets were seated and maybe a couple of duds over the 70k)

Site Supporter
    Another unrelated comment is that about 50 years ago when cops first were using portable radios run with 9 volt batteries, a few were getting the surprise of their lives. They were carrying spare batteries and loose ammo in the same pocket. Contact sometimes caused ammo to go bang.

User Tag List