Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Portland Police's New Knife Policy

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    It's not a rule here, but I have "the talk" with any officer I see wearing an exposed knife. Too difficult to retain and often worn in a way that's easier for a suspect to grab than the officer.
    An Austin PD officer was very seriously injured, by a suspect who grabbed the officer’s fixed-blade knife from its sheath, which was mounted the front area of the duty belt rig. Very nearly died, as I remember it.

I had already been advising my rookies to keep their knives positioned with safety in mind, and this APD incident provided a local, cite-able example.

I believe that the main reason Houston PD cracked-down on external “tactical” armor, worn by patrol officers, was because officers were wearing magazines, knives, and such, “AT” people. External Level III armor had been specifically allowed, for patrol officers, in the wake of the BLM-related terrorist incidents, but then, the rule was modified so that donning such armor was limited to specific situations. (I actually kept wearing my plates, as they were not adorned with anything more than a radio holder, on a side panel, and one night, when I backed-up the chief, who had stopped a suspected drunk driver, he had no problem with my discreetly-worn plate carrier.)
    Last edited by Rex G; 03-02-2019 at 01:01 PM.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

The primary point that I wanted to make was to counter the tendency by agencies and others to "victim shame" the officer for the malicious act of the offender. (As jnc36rcpd alluded to, it is quite possible that if this incident was solely about an officer being injured, it might not have ever become notable.)

I wholeheartedly support the continuous honing of better practices for officer safety (and have conducted many "counseling sessions").

I will not shift the blame from a criminal actor onto the officer. All of these perpetrators have the full liberty at any time to simply surrender to a lawful command. That they choose not to do so does not place any onus upon the officer.

This thread has given me pause. For years I’ve kept my fixed blade on my vest because I can employ it with either hand. I had a custom kydex sheath made that mounts a BFG TQ Now on top. Partly to make the blade less obvious and mostly because I wanted a centerline TQ I could easily reach with either hand.

That said I wonder if JMCK or Dark Star Gear could make me something similar that has retention. I’m also curious what good retention is out there for sheaths other than an old school snap/strap. They tend to get in the way when stowing the blade unless using two hands. Oh if only Gerber made a smaller version of their Tac II.

The good news is I work investigations so I’m usually only wearing kit for pre-planned activities. Occasionally though I’m involved in jump outs/gang sweeps. I’m open to suggestions from anyone for a better system or placement.

Current configuration.

ETA: there is now a flashlight pouch in the open spot right of the TQ as the photo is viewed (my left as I wear it).
    Last edited by El Cid; 03-02-2019 at 05:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by El Cid View Post
    I’m open to suggestions from anyone for a better system or placement.
    Have you thought of a full-flap(velcro) nylon pouch that your existing knife and sheath would slide into (interference fit). Attach to the vest by exposing your existing attachment point (cutting through rear of nylon pouch).

Concealed from view, but access is nothing more than rip the flap up, grab, yank and shank.

Quote Originally Posted by Gray01 View Post
    Have you thought of a full-flap(velcro) nylon pouch that your existing knife and sheath would slide into (interference fit). Attach to the vest by exposing your existing attachment point (cutting through rear of nylon pouch).

Concealed from view, but access is nothing more than rip the flap up, grab, yank and shank.
    That’s pretty clever. I probably have some old pouches I could experiment with too. Thanks!

Just some food for thought...

The fixed version of the Benchmade Adamas comes with a short piece of webbing with two snaps that closes to hold the knife in, but can be swiped off with the thumb like a thumb break to release it. I wonder if that has any viability as a solution toward the problem at hand?

Name:  benchmade-adamas-fixed-375sn-sheath-large.jpg
Views: 887
Size:  19.2 KB

https://www.bladehq.com/item--Benchm...n-Fixed--10403

Quote Originally Posted by WeepingAngel View Post
    Just some food for thought...

The fixed version of the Benchmade Adamas comes with a short piece of webbing with two snaps that closes to hold the knife in, but can be swiped off with the thumb like a thumb break to release it. I wonder if that has any viability as a solution toward the problem at hand?

Name:  benchmade-adamas-fixed-375sn-sheath-large.jpg
Views: 887
Size:  19.2 KB

https://www.bladehq.com/item--Benchm...n-Fixed--10403
    Likely better than nothing. My concern is working the retention (whatever kind) under stress and wearing gloves. That’s why many folks, myself are included, have fixed blades. Working a folder in those conditions is problematic. Something akin to the Safarland ALS is what I’d love to have.

If you need a knife you probably need it in a hurry. The challenge is to find a way to carry it discreetly without giving up the ability to draw it quickly.

It's one thing to carry a fixed blade knife on your vest or carrier when it's obviously a knife (i.e. a big obvious handle). It's another thing to have a knife that is low-profile and would be difficult for a suspect to grab. This is the setup I run and I think it's fairly secure and low-vis. Though I'm definitely open to critiques, and this thread has me reconsidering whether the negatives outweigh the positives. Disallowing trauma shears seems completely unnecessary though.

Name:  IMG_20190303_134441.jpg
Views: 835
Size:  92.2 KB
    "I need your help. I can't tell you what it is, you can never ask me about it later, and we're gonna hurt some people."

Quote Originally Posted by Doug MacRay View Post
    It's one thing to carry a fixed blade knife on your vest or carrier when it's obviously a knife (i.e. a big obvious handle). It's another thing to have a knife that is low-profile and would be difficult for a suspect to grab. This is the setup I run and I think it's fairly secure and low-vis. Though I'm definitely open to critiques, and this thread has me reconsidering whether the negatives outweigh the positives. Disallowing trauma shears seems completely unnecessary though.

Name:  IMG_20190303_134441.jpg
Views: 835
Size:  92.2 KB
    Agreed. But isn’t what you have there the exact same knife the dead bad guy took from the officer?

User Tag List