Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Portland Police's New Knife Policy

Portland Police's New Knife Policy

https://www.oregonlive.com/crime/201...-shooting.html

I carry one of these knives, but it is concealed behind a pouch on my vest. I am going try to find a better place to put it.

I carry trauma shears behind a pouch on my vest. I’d be violating policy. I carry a spare rifle mag on my vest too. But I’m in Tactical so I’d be good.
    Last edited by Coyotesfan97; 03-01-2019 at 04:30 PM.
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

Quote Originally Posted by Flamingo View Post
    https://www.oregonlive.com/crime/201...-shooting.html

I carry one of these knives, but it is concealed behind a pouch on my vest. I am going try to find a better place to put it.
    I've heard from Soldiers recently deployed they were coached up the same for the same reason. Folks had been stabbed with their own knives while managing individuals they were not trying to shoot when it was worn too openly accessible. Instead rig it behind an ammo pouch or some other piece of gear they strap on that I wouldn't understand.
    Last edited by JHC; 03-01-2019 at 04:33 PM.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

I have been carrying an Emerson PUK for a few years now. 10ish months ago I got a RCS Pocket Shield and attached the PUK to that. It works great as a “pocket” knife. Very stable, comfortable and accessible. It carries flat enough that it doesn’t interfere with a tourniquet either. The knife rides low enough in the majority of my pants that the handle is completely hidden. I work plain clothes so I have lots of discretion with regards to what I wear.

They are going to get cops kilt in the streets. The possibility of that legitimate once or twice in decade knife use in fight, far outweighs the implications of getting stabbed with your own knife, or facing criminal charges for manufacturing a deadly force encounter or planting evidence.

That there even needs to be a policy for this, is disappointing. The best way to not get slapped with stupid policy, is to not create stupid situations.
    Whether you think you can or you can't, you're probably right.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    It's not a rule here, but I have "the talk" with any officer I see wearing an exposed knife. Too difficult to retain and often worn in a way that's easier for a suspect to grab than the officer.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

About fifteen years ago, I predicted that eventually, an agency would shoot a guy with buckshot when they meant to shoot him with an LTL round, and that agency would probably be Portland. When it happened a few years after that, I was very sorry to be right, considering how tragically it worked out.

I work in downtown Portland, and two years ago a co-worker commented on all the "pig-stickers" he saw strapped to PPB vets, and I predicted that sooner or later one was going to get taken away by a bad actor.

The shit that you can't see coming is bad enough. It's always frustrating when it is something that could have been foreseen.
    Last edited by Lester Polfus; 03-01-2019 at 08:19 PM.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Site Supporter
    What those ^^^^^^^ guys said. I have always preferred a fixed blade for potential defensive use. For day to day cutting finger print tape, ligature, evidence bags, seat belts (once in 21 years), fruit, sandwiches, hospital bands, and any of the other things I have had to cut in the line of duty, I much prefer a one hand folder, and more and more lately, shears or a strap cutter.

Just last week I got into a knock down drag out with drunk EDP in the ED, had her under control, preparing to move to a gurney to be restrained. In the confusion a well-meaning charge nurse gave the EDP a syringe full of night night stuff, and then had an "aw shit" moment when she pulled the needle out and realized she now had an uncapped, contaminated sharp that she now had it in close proximity to two cops, two security guards, the three more nurses, and the EDP. The nurse did not have the presence of mind to flip the plastic cap over the needle. My backup officer took the needle and immediately safed it. 25 years ago on the ambulance I would have pulled the needle out and stepped on it, pinning it under my boot till I could recap it, which was very much against protocol. She knew what she needed to do, but not ever having done it before (or even visualized it )in a violent real world situation caused her to vapor lock and fail to finish the job. To be fair, she is very good at her job, and could not be expected have even considered this scenario. During the debrief we all agreed....secure then medicate on a violent person, and if secure is a momentary respite of compliance holds, deliver the meds and make it her priority to immediately safe the needle. Not wave it around so someone would take it and safe it for you.

I do run a Halvalon Piranta with a gut hook in my on body trauma kit, but only because it fits better in the full pouch than even the compact shears. A compact strap cutter is on the list for the next uniform allowance. My big kit has big shears, and my active shooter bag has another set.

pat

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    It's not a rule here, but I have "the talk" with any officer I see wearing an exposed knife. Too difficult to retain and often worn in a way that's easier for a suspect to grab than the officer.
    And that's an example of the fact that when you have good leadership, you need fewer policies.

Extending this policy to EMT shears was probably unnecessary. I used shears pretty frequently. It's actually a safer way to cut somebody out of a seat belt. But when you make a policy after a negative outcome, agencies often throw the baby out with the bathwater.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Site Supporter
    I suspect that this policy was driven more by the fact that a suspect was shot than by any concern about an officer being potentially filleted by his or her own knife. That said, requiring fixed and even folding blades to be concealed makes sense to me.

I have seen arguments that such a policy is foolish because Tasers and pepper spray is carried openly. True enough, but those are less lethal weapons while a blade is absolutely deadly, especially in close quarters. I'd rather risk a Taser deployment or OC exposure than a stab wound.

I do agree that prohibited trauma shears from being carried openly may be a bridge too far.

User Tag List